A service that works

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just discovered an OS X service that works. I was reading an article and needed to look up a word. I copied it, launched OmniDictionary, pasted it then looked it up. I started to write a suggestion to the Safari team to include dictionary look up for selected words when I thought I'd poke around at what was already implemented. Eventually I discovered that with Omnidictionary launched there is a Service available in Safari (and other programs) to look up the selected word. Works sweet (in Safari and other programs).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    OmniDictionary is awesome.

I just wish the install process went ahead and set it up to launch at startup (with the user's permission via an option in the installer).

It really goes to waste as most people never discover its universal availability (all right near-universal).

/edit: can't spell this a.m./

[ 01-27-2003: Message edited by: jccbin ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Odd, for me the service is available even without OmniDictionary running. (It will launch if I highlight a word and choose the service).

Services in general are one of the truly great things about OS X that practically no one utilizes.

Screed
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Hm, I don't seem to have it under any of those conditions.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    The service will be available whether the app is running or not, if the app resides in /Applications or a sub-dir thereof.