Airport Extreme N serious issues

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Has anyone seen this thread at the apple discussions forum?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....22416&tstart=0

I'm not a member so I can't post there, and I don't feel like taking the time to sign up. I just wanted to know if anyone here has the Airport Extreme and if it's giving them the problems as seen in this thread. It's embarrassing in my opinion on apple's part to not have fixed this issue.

As of me posting this there are 24,477 views of this post and almost 500 reply's.

My router will lose connection anywhere from every ten minutes to every day. I've first took it back and got a new one. Which also didn't work at all. I read all sorts of suggestions on the forums, but none seem to work. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I was having this problem while I was using Azureus. I'm not sure if Comcast's bandwidth throttling had something to do with it or if it was a settings issue. As soon as I stopped using Azureus the problem went away completely. Not sure if this is related at all to the discussion at Apple's forum.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I was having this problem while I was using Azureus. I'm not sure if Comcast's bandwidth throttling had something to do with it or if it was a settings issue. As soon as I stopped using Azureus the problem went away completely. Not sure if this is related at all to the discussion at Apple's forum.

I've read that as well. But even when not using Azureus, I still have the problem. I actually found a solution for when I'm using Azureus so that I don't lose connection then. I'm almost tempted to leave that up all the time.

I also wonder if my roomates could be killing the connection on their windows computer if they are torrenting?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    well, I don't torrent & I got the same issue: the connection just drops to 1 bar and comes back after 30-60 sec, or it goes completely out. Have to logoff and back on my OS X acct or switch to another acct to get it back.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    My AEBS 'N' does the same thing - except not every day. Usually about anywhere from 1 to 30 days, it will reboot for no apparent reason. There's nothing in the logs that indicates any problem. I just suddenly lose my connection, my Airport Utility pops up and says there's a problem with the router (of course, not what the problem is!), and the router reboots. It's really irritating!

At first, we thought it was due to the two of us having open VPN connections, but I found that it doesn't matter - often it happens when we're not even using the computers. We'll come home and find that we have to re-connect everything, 'cause it went down. When I look at the AEBS logs, I can see that it rebooted again. And, sometimes it'll do it several times in one day, or sometimes it'll trick me into thinking it's fixed, 'cause it takes so long for it to reboot again! I have the time up showing in my menu bar with the Airport icon, now, so I can keep track of how long it's staying up.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Sometimes it will go out and come right back, like when playing playstation I'll get a connection dropped error, but it comes right back. I usually don't even notice it's down because my neighbors don't have a locked net, so when mine goes down, the macs just switch to the neighbors. I usually only notice when I try to print, because my printer is a network printer hardwired to the base station, and when I'm on my neighbors network I can't print.

Also it seems to only affect the wireless connectivity because my vonage phone service works fine when the connection is dropped.