Leak: third-party iPhone apps to be issued through iTunes Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2014
Now working alongside Apple, Tiny Code, a onetime repository for fixes and updates to some unauthorized third-party iPhone applications, briefly leaked some information this week on the handset maker's plans for distributing authorized applications via its website.

Chief among the revelations was that Apple will apparently manage and distribute software for the iPhone and iPod touch written using its upcoming Software Developers Kit (SDK) through its ubiquitous iTunes Store.

"Tiny Code no longer produces fixes or applications for firmware 1.1.3. We can't say much, but we are working with Apple and with their SDK for the next firmware release and SDK applications and we shouldn't be missed for long," the developer wrote in a message on its website that has since been remove. "We will no longer update our Installer.app repo for legality reasons and you should see us soon on iTunes."

In a sidebar item also since removed from the site, Tiny Code also wrote "Now targeting fw 1.1.4 alpha 2," implying that applications written using the iPhone SDK will only function on iPhones running the still unreleased iPhone software version 1.1.4.

While announcing Apple's formal intent to offer an official SDK for the iPhone and iPod touch last October, company chief executive Steve Jobs also hinted that his firm was taking extra precautions to develop a distribution system that would protect users from viruses, malware, and privacy attacks -- one that many have long speculated would involve the iTunes Store in some fashion.

"While this makes such a phone less than 'totally open,' we believe it is a step in the right direction," he wrote. "We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone?s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    You call that a leak? I'm not exactly shocked that 3rd party apps are going to be available through itunes. But since its not official yet I guess I will pretend I'm actually surprised and shocked by this.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Leak? Wait. Didn't you guys attend MacWorld this year?

It was made pretty clear at MacWorld that Apple would be handling this.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

You call that a leak? I'm not exactly shocked that 3rd party apps are going to be available through itunes. But since its not official yet I guess I will pretend I'm actually surprised and shocked by this.

"What...oh, ALIEN BABY!? THAT IS SHOCKING...I...I AM SHOCKED! SHOCKED!"

-Andy the Bomb

Seriously, can I get an "effing duh?" Of course it was going to be through the iTunes store. How else was it going to work?
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

100% agreed! Common knowledge at the very least. So much for breaking news.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Am I the only one who doesn't want a "totally open" phone? I'm all for 3rd party apps on phones, but with the always on nature of cell phones and increasing complexity of their OS I want some built-in stopgates against malicious and poorly written code. Has a horribly inept coder I'd hate to think that anyone could easily install code I wrote on their phone.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Am I the only one who doesn't want a "totally open" phone? I'm all for 3rd party apps on phones, but with the always on nature of cell phones and increasing complexity of their OS I want some built-in stopgates against malicious and poorly written code. Has a horribly inept coder I'd hate to think that anyone could easily install code I wrote on their phone.

Obviously you never heard of Symbian OS.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:

I totally agree. Furthermore, the non-geek iPhone owners I know don't really even care (or necessarily want) third-party apps because they are afraid it will make the phone too complicated or something will stop working right as a result of it. I think third-party apps are ESSENTIAL, but it's a good idea to have some control over it.

The only problem I see is that Apple might make it so that there is no such thing as freeware or shareware on the iPhone. If you have to pay for everything you download, that would really suck. You at least need to be able to install a demo first and check it out before buying. If that happened, AppTap would still reign. No doubt there will be pirating on the iPhone no matter what.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

The easy way to handle that is to not add anything. There you go, you can pretend you have a closed phone.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

Where was this made clear? I just don't remember anything like that.
  • Reply 10 of 52

-

• Reply 11 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

Friggin hell AppleInsider, i was the one that found out about this first and told you about this in an email and i posted about it in the forums this morning yet you don't even mention my name like MR did.

[sarcasm]Thanks.[/sarcasm]

BTW, i've got a screenshot of the site without a friggin AppleInsider logo on it if anyone wants one, i don't know why somebody would want one...its just my act of defiance

It's possible that AI procured this from a different source and hasn't gotten around to even reading your submission yet.

I do your see name on the MR sites as the submitter with their noon EST posting. If it helps, I give you mad props, kudos, and will name my first born iPhelim (is that pronounced phlegm?), much to the chagrin of my wife.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    The only problem I can forsee with this is if Apple doesnt like a particular app (for example because its competes with & its better than one of theirs) they can totally block its distribution.

Umm, now which software company does that remind me of \?
  • Reply 13 of 52
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

Friggin hell AppleInsider, i was the one that found out about this first and told you about this in an email and i posted about it in the forums this morning yet you don't even mention my name like MR did.

[sarcasm]Thanks.[/sarcasm]

BTW, i've got a screenshot of the site without a friggin AppleInsider logo on it if anyone wants one, i don't know why somebody would want one...its just my act of defiance

The paperwork for your MBE has been submitted.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The easy way to handle that is to not add anything. There you go, you can pretend you have a closed phone.

my guess is that he'd like to have *some* apps. just with less risk of viruses.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    -
  • Reply 16 of 52
    -
  • Reply 17 of 52
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    The problem I have with Apple controlling what software can be put on a device is that I want to write my own software. Right now I am a ADC online member, but if every online member could write their own applications than the system would be totally open. Therefore, I conclude that Apple is going to start charging me and/or hassling me for writing my own software.

Also, while I can see that it is important to make sure that people's phones are free from malware, and I can see why Apple doesn't want people doing an end run around ATT, I don't see any argument for not letting people freely install whatever they want on an iPod Touch.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"While this makes such a phone less than 'totally open,' we believe it is a step in the right direction,"

Translation:

We wanted a totally open iphone but instead we sold out once apple showed us the money
  • Reply 19 of 52
    I'm fine with a slightly closed system as long as I can get an iChat client that uses the data connection instead of SMS. If Apple doesn't supply that, I'll hold off buying an iPhone until it does. Or jailbreak the probable 32GB 3G model.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBL View Post

The problem I have with Apple controlling what software can be put on a device is that I want to write my own software. Right now I am a ADC online member, but if every online member could write their own applications than the system would be totally open. Therefore, I conclude that Apple is going to start charging me and/or hassling me for writing my own software.

Also, while I can see that it is important to make sure that people's phones are free from malware, and I can see why Apple doesn't want people doing an end run around ATT, I don't see any argument for not letting people freely install whatever they want on an iPod Touch.

I was assuming that Apple would be taking a cut of whatever the charge for the software is going to be and the rest would go for the coder. Sorta like the model most game console makers use. But what if the coder wants to give their app away for free? It probably still has to get signed by Apple. I guess we will all find out for sure on the 26th.