Toshiba rumored to quit HD DVD as Wal-Mart pulls support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The conflict between high-definition disc formats is rapidly drawing to a close, as Wal-Mart is the latest store to back Blu-ray over HD DVD and Toshiba is reportedly poised to withdraw its format from the market in the near future.

Remaining support for HD DVD began to unravel on Friday morning when the Hollywood Reporter cited a source which claims Toshiba will shutter its HD DVD efforts "soon," with an announcement potentially due within weeks.

The apparently reluctant concession would follow weeks of steep decline in support for the optical disc standard, which began with Warner Bros.' switch to Blu-ray as its exclusive HD movie format just ahead of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Since then, Best Buy and Netflix have both chosen Blu-ray as their de facto choice for HD movies, relegating HD DVD to second-tier status and threatening to discontinue it entirely in the case of Netflix.

Several independent movie studios have also followed Warner's lead in opting for Blu-ray, with only Paramount and Universal now left as HD DVD supporters.

Just hours later, however, the likelihood of an HD DVD resurgence was dimmed even further by an official announcement by Wal-Mart that it would focus solely on Blu-ray. A statement issued by the big-box retailer on Friday revealed that the company would reorganize shelf space at all its Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores within 30 days to promote Blu-ray alone. HD DVD products will exit the company's product channel entirely by June.

Wal-Mart's decision is anticipated to be especially damaging to HD DVD's prospects, as the nationwide chain is often regarded as the single largest video sales outlet in the US and is sometimes cited as a potential obstacle to widespread adoption of online movie downloads through its influence over movie studios' pricing.

And while Toshiba officially remains confident in HD DVD, its frequent partner Microsoft has itself seemingly scaled back its normally vocal endorsement of the beleaguered storage medium, says the Reporter. The Windows developer's technology evangelist for HD DVD, Kevin Collins, has reportedly failed to respond to multiple requests for comments.

Apple has largely kept to the sidelines during the battle between Blu-ray and HD DVD, providing small amounts of support to both camps while declining to build either technology into its Mac range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 312
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Awesome, now the hacker community knows where to focus it's efforts.
  • Reply 2 of 312
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Wow. Can the news get any worse for HD DVD? One by one, the dominos fall. Blockbuster. Netflix. Best Buy. Circuit City. Wal-Mart. Warner. National Geographic. The HD DVD cheerleaders in this forum must be crying rivers. (They know who they are.) Even with fire sale prices, HD DVD still can't take over the majority of HD player sales and is losing so ridiculously badly in disc sales that it's not even a contest. Note that the Hollywood Reporter article says Toshiba has been bleeding money by selling each HD DVD player for hundreds below cost, something the HD DVD boosters have been screaming "Vicious, dirty rumor!" about for ages. Forget "stick a fork in it, it's done." It's blackened to a crisp.
  • Reply 3 of 312
    Weren't there a few people here the other day asking for proof that HD DVD was dead? There you have it. HD DVD has lost support from Netflix, Blockbuster, Best Buy, Wall Mart, and now even Toshiba is dropping out.

So now you won't be able to rent, buy, or even buy a player for HD DVD disks.

At this point, the only people who think HD DVD isn't dead are people who bought HD DVD players and are hoping for a miracle. This war is now well beyond over.

Which doesn't bode well for the XBox 360, which is already suffering badly. With a drive that will essentially be useless soon for movies, it just lost its main competitive edge over the Wii, and it no longer compares in features to the PS3.
  • Reply 4 of 312
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Now how long till a tosiba branded blu-ray player to add insult to this vast injury.
  • Reply 5 of 312
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    The one thing that helps take the sting out of one of these formats losing is the fact that both formats respective players are excellent upscaling DVD players. That couldn't be said for Laserdsic or Beta players.
  • Reply 6 of 312
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Anyone have a pic of the horse being beaten to death.

Folks HD DVD died when Warner left.

You're just wasting bits pontificating about the inevitable. This is coming from an HD DVD owner.

I would like to pick up a player for $50 though. I'll be looking for some gooood firesales.
  • Reply 7 of 312
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Well done Sony. Shame VHS didn't die too. Yes I know Beta went on in various forms for pros, .. I used it, but domestically it was a tragedy that 'cheap' won out back then. Not that I am saying HD DVD was cheap, just nice to see Sony win this one.
  • Reply 8 of 312
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

And while Toshiba officially remains confident in HD DVD, its frequent partner Microsoft has itself seemingly scaled back its normally vocal endorsement of the beleaguered storage medium, says the Reporter.

As someone who stuck with Apple thought the 90's, I'd just like to express the joy I feel to see Microsoft and beleaguered in the same sentence.
  • Reply 9 of 312
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well done Sony. Shame VHS didn't die too. Yes I know Beta went on in various forms for pros, .. I used it, but domestically it was a tragedy that 'cheap' won out back then. Not that I am saying HD DVD was cheap, just nice to see Sony win this one.

This time they realized that fitting an entire full-length movie on the medium was important...
  • Reply 10 of 312
    If Microsoft handles HDDVD the same way it handles everything else, it won't realize HDDVD is dead until 2010.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

As someone who stuck with Apple thought the 90's, I'd just like to express the joy I feel to see Microsoft and beleaguered in the same sentence.

• Reply 11 of 312
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Great news. The best wins. The consumers purchase now that the war is over. Prices drop dramatically. We all win.
  • Reply 12 of 312
    Finally!!! Apple can now focus on new optional optical drives!
  • Reply 13 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

Finally!!! Apple can now focus on new optional optical drives!

as long as the drive is affordable. DVR recorders were nice because they were faster than shuttling data around on a network and cheaper than a stack of drives.

Now drives are cheap and networks are fast. Blu-ray will be important but not as important its predecessor IMO.
  • Reply 14 of 312
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Great news. The best wins. The consumers purchase now that the war is over. Prices drop dramatically. We all win.

'Best wins'?

Blu Ray is the one format which has region codes - HD DVD doesn't.

Blu Ray is the one format which requires DRM - HD DVD has that optional.

Who wins?

Certainly not the best one.

The big studios perhaps.

Clearly not the consumer.

But then again it could be argued that consumers are always stupid...
  • Reply 15 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

'Best wins'?

Show them a bigger number and they follow like lemmings.
  • Reply 16 of 312
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

'Best wins'?

Blu Ray is the one format which has region codes - HD DVD doesn't.

Blu Ray is the one format which requires DRM - HD DVD has that optional.

Who wins?

Certainly not the best one.

The big studios perhaps.

Clearly not the consumer.

No one cares hobit... the only thing people care about is that this foolishness is finally over.
  • Reply 17 of 312
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Yes! Beleaguered by proxy.
  • Reply 18 of 312
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Several independent movie studios have also followed Warner's lead in opting for Blu-ray, with only Paramount and Universal now left as HD DVD supporters.

Hang in there Universal. Make us proud.
  • Reply 19 of 312
    Anyone want to buy an HDDVD player? Heard they are going fast!!!
  • Reply 20 of 312
    What now becomes of M$ Xbox 360? Do they release a Xbox 180, do the U turn and make a Xbox with BluRay. Xbox's die so fast there will be market space for a replacement. Also, does this news also make the Playstation the media/gaming centre of choice. I heard of some nice integration work being done with Xbox and AppleTV. Now, I believe Apple is in a position to bundle a BluRay player into Apple TV and allow me to lose one box from under my Sharp Aquos.