Blu-Ray Victory Gloat-Fest Thread :)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD is no longer an appropriate title. Blu-ray has won. This thread is dedicated to one thing: Gloating. HD-DVD zealots, you know who you are.

Your former leader, hmurchison, is a quivering, jello-like pile. Gone are the days of "HD-DVD players are coming down in price" and "what about attach rates" and let us not forget..."Blu-ray is not a finished format." Well, that last one is true...HD-DVD is the format that is finished.

Blu-ray's victory was so complete that even the HD-DVD zealots are now thankful for a quick and relatively painless death. On to digital downloads, they say. But they will sit and sulk, wiping the tears from their eyes, looking over longingly at their $100 player and their 5 HD-DVD movies. "The ultimate HD movie machine." Oh, what could have been.

So now it is our turn to say, "we told you so." We will not be gracious. We will merely gloat. We told you HD-DVD could not survive with a 30% market share, but you did not listen. We told you that dropping player prices that much was a sign of desperation, but you again did not listen. We told you that PS3 counted, too. But you still did not listen. Young fool....only now, at the end, do you understand....

When you started calling for a stalemate, a truce of sorts, we knew. You openly hoped for the "best" case scenario, one in which universal players become the norm. The writing was on the wall. We chilled the champagne.

Yes, you had one last thrust. However, not even your soulless master, Microsoft, could save you. All the king's horses, and all the king's men (plus $150 million dollars) could not put Humpty-DVD back together again.

And now, victory is ours, victory is ours! We will savor it in all it's juicy deliciousness, like the Ruth's Chris steak I will consume tomorrow night. I will even order a lobster tail with it in your honor. The butter will flow like the new releases coming out of Warner Bros. And we will welcome back our former brother, Paramount. With some groveling, crying and perhaps a 12 step program, we will let him back in. Nobody is perfect.

You are defeated. Bwwhahahahahahahahahahaha.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    hehe.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    What's Blu-Ray?
  • Reply 3 of 58
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    As big a Blu-ray fan as I am, I don't think I can resort to such gloating tactics....

pfffffffffffffft! Okay, who am I kidding...the latest news brings some visuals to mind...

]

• Reply 4 of 58
    How is this any different from the Blu-Ray vs HD DVD thread?
  • Reply 5 of 58
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Never underestimate the power of PlayStation!
  • Reply 6 of 58
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    As cute as it is I think this thread should be deleted. We don't need a second Blu Ray thread.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Well, being that I am or will be a consumer of Blu Ray and not one who actually developed it, any gloating I do will be stupid.

Also, the fact that Blu Ray has won the partnerships does nothing to declare it as the superior format - simply the one with the biggest business contacts and appropriate relationships with power players.

that is about all that can be said.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Never underestimate the power of PlayStation!

That is an odd statement. You HAVE to be a PS fanoby.

First of all, the PS3 is the worst selling of all 3 consoles and thirdly, it is not the PS that is winning the blu Ray war. It is the backing of key business parters that have dumped on an competitors.

The PS3 will benefit from this format war, not the other way around.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

First of all, the PS3 is the worst selling of all 3 consoles and thirdly, it is not the PS that is winning the blu Ray war. It is the backing of key business parters that have dumped on an competitors.

What an odd reply. You must be an Xbox fanboy.

See what I just did there?

I was going to find a picture of sour grapes but what's the point?
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Quote:

Well, being that I am or will be a consumer of Blu Ray and not one who actually developed it, any gloating I do will be stupid.

Also, the fact that Blu Ray has won the partnerships does nothing to declare it as the superior format - simply the one with the biggest business contacts and appropriate relationships with power players.

that is about all that can be said.

A little bit of digging into the history of Blu-ray will show you that the Blu-ray Disc Association was formed a good number of years ago with 170+ companies due to it being just that--the superior format. Also, looking at www.blu-raydisc.com and www.blu-ray.com will quickly show you why Blu-ray IS the superior format--on paper (more storage, more throughput, better durability, etc) and now in the marketplace.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I am just happy we have a winner and I can finally buy my BR player with peace of mind.

• Reply 12 of 58
    Quote:

PS 3 is projected to outsell XBox 360 in 2008 and retake the majority stake in game consoles by 2011. The month of January saw over 3 Million units sold.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Why do you feel the need to gloat? Do you work for Sony?
  • Reply 14 of 58
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

First of all, the PS3 is the worst selling of all 3 consoles...

Hardly:

• Reply 15 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

Hardly:

So moving 39k more units in one month (after being beaten handily the prior month and year) is "blasting"? And where is the Wii in that graphic...
  • Reply 16 of 58
    Did you notice the information below the numbers sold?
  • Reply 17 of 58
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    PS3 has some big things going for it right now. #1 EA games is raving about it. #2 EGM had a front page story saying the PS3 will reign supreme in 2008. And the fact that it does have a built in Blu Ray player which recently threw a smack down on an inferior format and won a war. Not to mention the most highly anticipated games of the year are headed for the PS3 and most have exclusivity with the system. I think everyone is right in predicting that the PS3 will kill the competition this year. It's already #1 in revenue which says that more money is already being spent on PS3's than any other system.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Quote:

Did you notice the information below the numbers sold?

Thats revenue, not sales figures (the 25% more than Nintendo). If you look at the other Blu-Ray thread, someone already posted this information, and the Wii is still number one (by about 30k units). Really, pulling one month and somehow extrapolating that it is blasting the competition is weak and stupid. But hey, it's coming from an analyst...should I really expect much.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

Thats revenue, not sales figures (the 25% more than Nintendo). If you look at the other Blu-Ray thread, someone already posted this information, and the Wii is still number one (by about 30k units). Really, pulling one month and somehow extrapolating that it is blasting the competition is weak and stupid. But hey, it's coming from an analyst...should I really expect much.

The revenue is exactly the point - 25% more revenue than the Wii and 61% more revenue than the 360.

You don't necessarily need to move more consoles if you can generate tons of revenue by selling games, game add-ons, movie rentals, videos, themes, etc.

Once Sony Home debuts you will see a ton of PS3s sold to people who are into MySpace, Facebook and Second Life.

And, yes, it's only one month that the PS3 has outsold the 360, but I'll bet that this is the beginning of a trend.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

The revenue is exactly the point - 25% more revenue than the Wii and 61% more revenue than the 360.

You don't necessarily need to move more consoles if you can generate tons of revenue by selling games, game add-ons, movie rentals, videos, themes, etc.

But that's gross revenue, not net. I think Sony is officially breaking even, or even making some money on one of the PS3 models now. Is that right? If they're not then their net revenue on consoles should still be a negative number.