Toshiba rumored to quit HD DVD as Wal-Mart pulls support

Comments

• Reply 81 of 312
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post

As in BluRay and HD-DVD formats had to compete against each other for customers looking to get into an HD format. This isn't that hard guys.

The initial equipment investment and cost of movies afterwards is going to sway opinions, much like people may be interested in a certain game platform but still not buy into it because the cost of games is significantly higher than the competition.

With only one format, that doesn't happen. If you wants to own a movie in HD, this is what you get. They can raise the price of BluRay movies easily once there's no HD-DVD to compare it too.

In fact, I already answered this question in my original post when I mentioned PS3's being sold at a loss, making my need to explain myself even more baffling.

I'm aware there are multiple companies making BluRay players, although you should realize right now only PS3's can be upgraded to BluRay 2.0 spec. Representatives of the BluRay consortium have pretty much admitted buying any BluRay player on the market right now except the PS3 would be a bad idea, as they all will be obsolete soon.

You miss the point entirely. You are just plain wrong.

When CD first came out in 1983, disks cost $18, and it was very difficult to get one for much less. The average disk now costs $14, including 14 years of inflation. With that in mind, that $18 disk would cost $38.20 today.

Calculator at:

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

The same thing is true for DVD, except for its shorter time here.

And remember that the first CD players cost an average of $1,100 when they came out. That's $2334.34 today.

Not having a competing format didn't hurt the price drops.
  • Reply 82 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post

Getting flattened in world-wide sales largely due to a high launch price is a great tech decision? Please. And the dual-layer DVDs of the 360 and Wii provide 9 GB of data. Not 4. Very few games would need more. And generally the only ones that will need to are the ones with garbage CGI movies trying to tie a 'plot' together. There are some mighty fine compression technologies out there - you might not know, but Star Wars: Rebel Strike on the GCN, made by Factor 5, contained not only 2 whole games, both with outstanding audio and graphics, but also DVD clips running with no loss in quality from the pure DVD versions. Not bad for 1.5 GB, huh?

Maybe in another year or two you will be damn right. And for next-gen, sure. But having 'plans' for games to use more doesn't mean they should, or even need to.

Don't think that sales of something for even the first year or two represents the long tern success. Sony sold 4.9 million PS3's around the world during the past holiday season. They even beat the Wii sales in Japan for two mionths running..

Also, the Playstation 1 cost $650 when it first came out many years ago. People also dismissed it as a loser because of it's much higher price, and difficulty of programming, leading to few games for a while.

But, Sony was able to lower the price as manufacturing costs came down, and they paid off the R&D costs. By the time the PS2 came out, the PS1 was one of the top came machines, and, of course, the PS2 blew the top off the industry.

I expect we will see the PS3 becoming very successful, both due to games, and movies, and because the world of consoles is much different from what it once was.

MS is going to have to decide where it wants to goe with the 360, and it will have to decide that soon. They did make an indication a couple of months ago that they would offer BD if their users wanted it. I think they will have to do that.

The Wii can only play 480 widescreen via component. My daughter has that, and we bought Nintendo's component cable adapter for it. It does look great on my 61" set, providing we have the right game on, such as Pitman. But some others look terrible.

What will happen to the Wii long term? It's a good question.
  • Reply 83 of 312
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Also, the Playstation 1 cost $650 when it first came out many years ago. People also dismissed it as a loser because of it's much higher price, and difficulty of programming, leading to few games for a while.

Huh? Possibly in Japan at launch it was the equivalent of $650USD, but in the States, it launched at $299, pretty sure.

Hi Mel.

• Reply 84 of 312
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

The fact is the Xbox is still the better gaming device - and that's what its point is. I bought a PS3. For Bluray movies only. I haven't bought a single game for it and never plan to. Its my top-of-the-line Bluray player. The 360 is the better game system. So its not what will happen to the 360 - its what will happen to the 360 HDDVD player. It will die.

The PS3 is by far the better system, the 360 has more games - but that does not make it a better piece of kit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

idiot... PS3 is a miserable failure.

That "miserable failure" is out-selling the 360 each week, both worldwide and in the USA. Just imagine how great sales will be when they finally start getting some good games... I think that the PS3 will eventually out-sell the Wii, and the 360 will be a distant third.
  • Reply 85 of 312
    Quote:

idiot... PS3 is a miserable failure. It trails far, far, far behind the Wii and even the xBox 360! Yes, the consumers made a choice, and PS3 w/ blu-ray was OBVISOULY not it! Blu-ray bundled with PS3 is a moot point, since PS3 barely even made a ripple in the consumer markets for both consoles and hd media players. Nobody buys blu-ray players, just like nobody buys PS3s. Sony is in such a bad financial state with blunders like the PS3 that its in danger of going bankrupt, possibly. This is not the mighty Sony we once knew, not even a shadow.

The PS3 and Blu-ray to a certain extent are almost complete failures...unless of course, that is, you live in either fantasyland or fanboy world!

also, Blu-ray won't even matter in a few years. By the time it gains any significant ground, if it does, it will be obsolete and bow to iPods, the internet, networking, and streaming.

Don't call others idiots, when it is you making the idiotic remarks. The PS3 trails because there were teething problems with the new technology, as is usually the case. It came out ten months late because of that. Why do you think sales lag?

It's also more sophisticated than the other consoles. With the ten month delay, and the difficulty of the initial tries at programming, there were also fewer games. That's to be expected. But that is changing. Several games programmers have stated that programming for the console is going much more smoothly, the prices are down, and the sales have gone up more than the other consoles, so the gap is lessening.

I'm pretty sure that a year from now, most of the negativity will have been forgotten, except from the fanboies of the two other consoles.

And yes, Bd won't last 20 more years. That's where both Gates and Jobs are correct. It's likely the last format, unless we do see 1440p on disk, as it's due to arrive as a format in 2009-10.

But, there's a lot of life in disk yet.
  • Reply 86 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How could either upscale a DVD?

If you use Photoshop, you could understand. It's simply interpolation. How it's done affects the quality. But, it's certainly practical. It's often done for theatrical releases that have been shot on 1080p, such as the last three Star Wars movies.

They take the baseframes, and rez that up, and the player, or Tv, or video processor, does the rest of the frames from that, just as they do the normal interframe work.

Were you questioning why he mentioned the older formats, as a jest?
  • Reply 87 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Myst View Post

If the DVD consortium had done a better job there wouldn't be all the pressure on Toshiba. The format was still designed with the group; to call it Toshiba's baby might be true to some extent, but they didn't go at it alone.

No, but the government is reportedly going to look into the process that resulted in the DVD Forum supporting Toshiba's format (as both the WSJ and the NY Times reported). There was funny stuff going on there, and hopefully, we might find out what it was.
  • Reply 88 of 312
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Huh? Possibly in Japan at launch it was the equivalent of $650USD, but in the States, it launched at $299, pretty sure.

Hi Mel.

I remember it at $650 when it first came out. Electronic Games, which I subscribed to, discussed it.

All games machines were fairly expensive back them. The Coleco was $350.

Hi.
  • Reply 89 of 312
    Quote:

I remember it at $650 when it first came out. Electronic Games, which I subscribed to, discussed it.

All games machines were fairly expensive back them. The Coleco was $350.

Hi.

From Wikipedia:

Launch

The PlayStation was launched in Japan on December 3, 1994, North America on September 9, 1995,[2] Europe on September 29, 1995,[3] and Australasia in November 1995.[4] The launch price in the American market was US$299[2] (a price point later used by its successor, the PlayStation 2),[8] and Sony enjoyed a very successful launch with titles of almost every genre, including Battle Arena Toshinden, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Philosoma, and Ridge Racer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_1

Honestly Mel, there was a very (in)famous press conference at a major game show shortly before the PS1 launched, back when Sega and Nintendo owned the market. The Sega guy at the show talked a lot about how their Saturn console was going to do this and that, 'the best 2D', etc. Then the Sony spokesguy came up to the mike, and said one phrase only:

"Two hundred ninety-nine dollars."

Which apparently blew everyone in attendance away. The Sony machine was expected to come in at a considerably higher price point.

My guess is the $650 price you remember was what ppl speculated the PS1 was going to be priced at, before it launched. This is nothing new... some pre-launch speculation on the PS3 had its launch price at $900.

• Reply 90 of 312
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    right now, hd anything doens't make sense to me, for what my family watches std dvd works

BUT if i could get digital 3-D on my hd tv and blueray had it i'd upgrade and invest in this tech

WHY??? have you seen hanna montana movie concert in digital 3D??? it's the best 3d experience i've ever had, now if they could make a bourne identity ultimatum in BR digital 3d, that would make the "tv" experience much better. maybe they will do that for many more movies but in theaters ONLY, so they can market a "better than home" experience, make it uniigue.

for those of you who haven't seen this movie concert, rent some pre-teen or take some family member (so you won't embarrass yourself) and just sit through 20-30 minutes and you will see the future of movie theaters, can you imagine star wars, pirates, etc in this format. WOW!!!!

my 4 and 6 year old (no you can't rent them, find somebody else) didn't really care for it they thought it was going to be a 1.5 hr long tv movie of hanah montana and her tv gang.
  • Reply 91 of 312

Haha! Sony stuffs the channels and beats 360 for one month in sales! WHUUUP DIDDY DOO!

Wii is still the huge winner, WORLDWIDE. XBOX 360 is still in second nomatter if nobody in Japan buys it. PS3, distant 3rd, no matter how hard they stuff the channel.

Sony has been stumbling big time. If it keeps it up, it will be in danger of getting picked up by someone, you will see.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak

You're taking him seriously? He's obviously either insane or completely ignorant. Maybe both. "Nobody" buys Blu-ray or PS3. Sony going bankrupt. Yeah, right. Ignore him. Everybody else did.

All i gotta say for you is: Didduntidunt, go sit on a broom stick!

If you still think that Sony is the huge, dominant player it once was and isn't bleeding red in many of its divisions, then you are still stuck in the 90's.
  • Reply 92 of 312
    Quote:

Don't call others idiots, when it is you making the idiotic remarks. The PS3 trails because there were teething problems with the new technology, as is usually the case. It came out ten months late because of that. Why do you think sales lag?

It's also more sophisticated than the other consoles. With the ten month delay, and the difficulty of the initial tries at programming, there were also fewer games. That's to be expected. But that is changing. Several games programmers have stated that programming for the console is going much more smoothly, the prices are down, and the sales have gone up more than the other consoles, so the gap is lessening.

I'm pretty sure that a year from now, most of the negativity will have been forgotten, except from the fanboies of the two other consoles.

And yes, Bd won't last 20 more years. That's where both Gates and Jobs are correct. It's likely the last format, unless we do see 1440p on disk, as it's due to arrive as a format in 2009-10.

Great, you mention the 360, but not the Wii. What was Sony's solution to competeing against the more popular 360 and the cheaper Wii? By cutting down on functions. Don't believe me, look it up. They are planning on throwing in a new PS3 model (might have already, i dunno) that cuts out many features like online play, backwards compatibility with PS2, etc.

The PS2 is selling far more than the PS3, what does that tell you? Its a joke. Don't believe Sony stuffing the channels. Visit your local Best Buy and you will see boxes of PS3 stacked sky high, you will less 360 boxes, an almost NO Wii boxes. Ask a salesman and they will tell you, Wii sold out, 360 hotcakes, PS3 collecting dust on shelves.

Laterz.
  • Reply 93 of 312
    Quote:

XBOX 360 is still in second nomatter if nobody in Japan buys it.

Worldwide the PS3 has been beating the 360 for many months now, at least according to vgchartz. The PS3 is only new to 2nd place in the US, everywhere else the 360 is way third and has been for a long time.
  • Reply 94 of 312
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Worldwide the PS3 has been beating the 360 for many months now, at least according to vgchartz. The PS3 is only new to 2nd place in the US, everywhere else the 360 is way third and has been for a long time.

what the hell is vgchartz? are they trust worthy? are those actual SALES or just shipments (aka stuffing the channel)?

forgot to mention that Sony's market cap is like less than a 1/3 of what it was only 4 years ago. at this rate, it will be in danger of being taken over by someone else.

edit:

ok.... pulled a chart from vgchartz. So PS3 has outsold 360 in other parts of the world besides the US, but who is on the bottom overall in both handhelds and consoles? Sony!

• Reply 95 of 312
    Quote:

what the hell is vgchartz? are they trust worthy? are those actual SALES or just shipments (aka stuffing the channel)?

forgot to mention that Sony's market cap is like less than a 1/3 of what it was only 4 years ago. at this rate, it will be in danger of being taken over by someone else.

And the attempt to swallow Yahoo will kill Microsoft, at least I hope it does. $35/share = 4 or 5 years of cash flow for Microsoft.
  • Reply 96 of 312
    Quote:

And the attempt to swallow Yahoo will kill Microsoft, at least I hope it does. $35/share = 4 or 5 years of cash flow for Microsoft.

I hope so too, lol. not a wise choice, but whatever. I think its great they bought the Sidekick as well, that ghetto monstrosity will finally get run into the ground
  • Reply 97 of 312
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    The site, vgchartz, is not a trusted source on sales (nor are most sites). Only direct data from a company like NDP is a quality source. There's no doubt X360 has a larger share than the PS3 now, and Wii has a larger share than the X360. The point is that the PS3 is starting to pick up after a slow start.

The whole Wii-factor doesn't really factor into the same war in my eyes. I know that type of comment is questionable, but to me the 'next gen' war is between X360 and PS3.

The one thing that I still get confused about when talking about the PS3 is how it can get discredited by nay-sayers in all categories. If talking about HDM players, it's not counted because it's a game console. When it gets ahead in console sales, it's discredited because "everyone buys it to watch movies."

I personally on both consoles, but has spent more time playing on the PS3 since I bought it. The main reason is that I've yet to have it crash. Anomaly or not, the PS3 has been far more stable for me. Now I have the added bonus of having the winning movie format. I guess I can buy some Blu-Rays now.
  • Reply 98 of 312
    Quote:

Haha! Sony stuffs the channels and beats 360 for one month in sales! WHUUUP DIDDY DOO!

Thing is though, you can see how the PS3 beating the 360 could easily become a lasting trend, because of the format war now coming to an end and the PS3 having a nice Blu-ray player in it.

For instance, back when I bought my PS2, it was as much to get a cheap DVD player as it was to play games. I still have never bought a standalone DVD player, and probably will never buy a standalone next-gen disc player.

Sony kills two birds with one stone, that's why I buy them. I'm sure I'm far from alone. It's just that that kind of appeal has escaped the PS3 until very recently, in large part because the format war was up in the air for so long.

No doubt MS fervently wishes the format war had gone a different way for their side, because they know what it'll mean for the PS3 vs 360 fight.

• Reply 99 of 312
    Quote:

That does tend to follow the trend set by the original Xbox. It sold pretty well in the US, but was much weaker in Europe and almost a laughingstock in Japan.

In America, we tend to see the Xbox and 360 as perhaps doing quite a bit better than they really are, because a lot of us tend to judge on US sales only.

Its kind of the same thing that fools us into thinking that Windows Mobile is HUGE, when in reality its only a force in the US... worldwide Symbian has over 10 times the marketshare of Windows Mobile. \

• Reply 100 of 312
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Perhaps you didn't notice, but HD-DVD promotions also gave five movies with machines. There was no difference there. In fact, people in forums were themselves promoting the fact that with the five movies you were getting with HD-DVD players, it was an even better buy than BD and it's five movies.

Toshiba may be burning some bridges here, too. There are reports that they've started to refuse honoring those deals for various bogus reasons, angering customers. Not good if they ever want to start a new format again.