garage band ringtones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I just got my iphone the other day... I love garage band. I feel like after searching for a half hour that I might have been fantasizing, but can you make a little diddy in garage band and then put it on itunes to make a ring tone... or has that functionality not been added yet

any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks a lot!

oh, and if it hasn't been added, poo on apple!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

I just got my iphone the other day... I love garage band. I feel like after searching for a half hour that I might have been fantasizing, but can you make a little diddy in garage band and then put it on itunes to make a ring tone... or has that functionality not been added yet

any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks a lot!

oh, and if it hasn't been added, poo on apple!

share -> ringtone
  • Reply 2 of 17
    if you could be a little more specific that would be great...

I cannot figure this out.. I'm an idiot?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

The menu up top. After you create your song you choose a 40 second portion and click on the share menu, then click on send ringtone to iTunes.

enjoy. i make tons of ringtones like this, you can even record your own voice or whatever.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    alright, so it has to be 40 seconds sent to itunes.. can it not be any longer or shorter than that? I suppose that once I have more time to test it out I will do so, but thanks for the couple of tips.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    It can be shorter than 40 seconds. Be sure you make the segment into a loop in Garage Band before you send it to iTunes as described in an earlier post in this thread.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

A lesson for those of us that had no reason to use G.B. before today. To re-use a cliche:

16GB iPhone: $499

MBP with Garage Band: $2300

Hearing the imperial march from Star Wars play when you mother-in-law calls: Priceless
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

A lesson for those of us that had no reason to use G.B. before today. To re-use a cliche:

Hearing the imperial march from Star Wars play when you mother-in-law calls: Priceless

I have the "Bowser Theme" from the original Super Mario Brothers when my mom calls...
  • Reply 8 of 17
    ...it's all just one more perk for owning a Mac.

• Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

I just tried that and when I click share with iTunes it sends it to iTunes and creates a playlist of its own and is NOT in the ringtones tab.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

I just tried that and when I click share with iTunes it sends it to iTunes and creates a playlist of its own and is NOT in the ringtones tab.

Ok. Guessing its because I have GB 3.0.5 and it says its the current version.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

LOL I had that very theme set for my ringtone for my ex wife four years ago, and it was awesome!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Ok. Guessing its because I have GB 3.0.5 and it says its the current version.

That is correct. You need the current version.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    the only way that you can get the current version is if you have leopard, which kind of sucks for those of us with no income... I want custom tones.. Dogs barking aren't good enough for me LOL
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

the only way that you can get the current version is if you have leopard, which kind of sucks for those of us with no income... I want custom tones.. Dogs barking aren't good enough for me LOL

???

The current version is 4.1.1 which I have on my Tiger (10.4.11) system. Garage Band is a part of iLife not the system. IIRC, version 4 was a part of iLife 08.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    Quote:

current version of garageband?

i've got it on tiger, too.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Oh thanks guys that makes a lot more sense. Although I still can't get it cause I don't have iLife 08... Ah well, back to the drawing board I suppose
  • Reply 17 of 17
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    On other thing Tomohr. While you get iLife and iWork (at least a time limited demo) with every consumer Mac they are not a part of the operating system. They will not be upgraded when you upgrade the OS. To upgrade iLife and IWork you have to purchase them separately.