Macbook Air Sold Out!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
just went to 3 Best Buys in the NYC metro area shopping for a digital cam and hung out in the Apple section in each store. First wanna say that there were lots of people in the space, many praising their mac purchases to other customers (acting like salesmen themselves). Second the MBA was sold out in all the stores! The MB and MBP were available however. Also stopped by two Apples stores to confirm sold out status in their stores as well. I think we have a silent hit on our hands with the MBA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'm not positive, but I don't think retail outlets had an abundant supply of MBA's. I'm not even sure of the supply available to the online Apple store.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I'm not positive, but I don't think retail outlets had an abundant supply of MBA's. I'm not even sure of the supply available to the online Apple store.

Maybe not, but sales guys said there was huge interest in them, and those who didn't walk away with an MBA bought an MB or MBP
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Then why were those not sold out? I guess interest is in the eye of the beholder because retail chains are reporting that MBP's, or MB's, or both are low on supply, and there is none to be had in the pipeline. It sounds like your salesman is trying to sell you.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:

Then why were those not sold out? I guess interest is in the eye of the beholder because retail chains are reporting that MBP's, or MB's, or both are low on supply, and there is none to be had in the pipeline. It sounds like your salesman is trying to sell you.

Personal attack deleted - JL

It was numerous salesmen, in numerous locations. I didn't tell them I had an MBA and asked if I could purchase one, they were all sold out in all locations. MBs and MBPs were available.

According to those salesmen, both the demand and interest in the MBA was pretty high.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    That is multiple "idiot" comments in multiple threads - you are likely to be banned if you keep that up.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

It was numerous salesmen, in numerous locations. I didn't tell them I had an MBA and asked if I could purchase one, they were all sold out in all locations. MBs and MBPs were available.

According to those salesmen, both the demand and interest in the MBA was pretty high.

Well genius my question still stands. Why were they not sold out everywhere if that were the case. You were busy falling for the sales routine. That's why.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:

Well genius my question still stands. Why were they not sold out everywhere if that were the case. You were busy falling for the sales routine. That's why.

did i say everywhere? i said they were sold out in 5 stores in my area. I said we might have a hit on our hands... nowhere did i say they are sold out everywhere else, but according to people who have ordered one from Apple.com, they are taking a while to ship, indicating that there is some strong demand for it and that it seems Apple may have trouble keeping up.

being sold out in the NYC metro area is a good sign to me, since around here there is usually an abundance of everything

as to you question, here is my answer:
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

- you are likely to be banned if you keep that up.

Meh, whatever. I won't do it again, your kind of right, but then again I could care less if i get banned.

I'm sure i'll get a warning first if anything, but i see people cussin up a storm in certain threads and getting quite emotional, so I think "idiot" might not be as bad as some of those cases. whatever.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    At my local, the MBA's have sold well. I know this, because I frequently go to restaurants and cafes near the Apple store and am always seeing people walking away with MBA boxes. On the day of the release I got a haircut nearby and saw at least 8 people with MBA boxes walk out... in a 2 minute span of time.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    ytvytv Posts: 109member
    Quote:

just went to 3 Best Buys in the NYC metro area shopping for a digital cam and hung out in the Apple section in each store. First wanna say that there were lots of people in the space, many praising their mac purchases to other customers (acting like salesmen themselves). Second the MBA was sold out in all the stores! The MB and MBP were available however. Also stopped by two Apples stores to confirm sold out status in their stores as well. I think we have a silent hit on our hands with the MBA

How can bestbuy be sold out of something they have never even had instock yet?
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Maybe Best Buy lost all the Macbook Airs. They've been known to lose laptops before.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

How can bestbuy be sold out of something they have never even had instock yet?

Right, I'm guessing you double checked the available stock in every store in the country.

They had them on display, all salespeople said they were sold out and awaiting more shipments. Live with it.

Its like people want the MBA to fail, losers.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

Right, I'm guessing you double checked the available stock in every store in the country.

They had them on display, all salespeople said they were sold out and awaiting more shipments. Live with it.

Its like people want the MBA to fail, losers.

Dude what is with you and the name calling?
  • Reply 14 of 36
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Dude what is with you and the name calling?

Really only one rule here, and that is it.

*POOF* for awhile.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Macbook air is #1 apple notebook, both on the Apple Store website and on Amazon...
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Probably because it's brand new. Everything new from Apple sells like wild fire at first. We'll see how satisfied these customers are a year from now, and we'll see how many think maybe they "should have picked the other one". I'm betting that a great deal of these people will find their lives would be easier with hot swap battery replacement, DVD drive, and some of the other missing features.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Macbook air is #1 apple notebook, both on the Apple Store website and on Amazon...

Not quite sure where you see that on Amazon.

On their Computer Bestsellers list, the MacBook is number four, and the MacBook Air is number ten.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

Not quite sure where you see that on Amazon.

On their Computer Bestsellers list, the MacBook is number four, and the MacBook Air is number ten.

They have a separate list for notebooks - the Macbook air was #3 this morning, now #7 - must be a pretty dynamic list.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...rsr_e_1_2_last
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

The assistant manager at my nearest Apple Store said just a few days ago that the Air was sold out in Japan and he believed world wide (most people who pre-ordered have received their machines, but not all, meaning the pre-orders out-numbered Apple's anticipated sales level for the first run); this does not mean that every single store that received stock is sold out but rather that there is no available stock for delivery to shops. I do not think he was lying because we were discussing a completely different matter of serious note (see threads about Apple Japan). His store did not have any stock and he did not expect any for another week or more, but did say sometimes shipments arrived days after memos suggesting delays.

Three huge chain stores in Japan also have sold out (spoke directly to the local managers of all three).

At every location, they knew I already had my MBA and thus was not in the market for another one (not yet, at least) so I don't think they were pulling sales routines on me.

I am willing to give mdotdubz the benefit of the doubt on this one, because his info jives with that which I have received and can deduce from the Net.

---

The MBA is currently ranked #1 under Mac sales at the Apple Store in:

Japan, the US, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Holland,

Norway, Austria, Switzerland, Finland, Sweden, the UK.

So, is this true, or is Apple just listing them as #1 so as to attract more people to buy them? If the latter were true, though, they would likely list them as #1 in every country, but they don't.

If it is true, either they are selling lots of them or they aren't selling many Macs nor Mac related products at all; the former is most likely closer to the truth.

Most online Apple stores are showing shipping in 7-10 days, meaning they are finally catching up with demand.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    I have been using my Air for several days now both at home and away. It is a thrill to use and gets the job done. The difference in weight over my MBP is astonishing; I almost forgot I had it in my rucksack and found therefore that I was more likely to take it along. The lightness also made it really pleasant to use while discussing things over coffee. With just one hand, I could pick it up and pass it to my customer so he could have a better look.

The keyboard on the Air, with its angled plane and low front, is much easier to use than the one on the MBP and has better back-lighting.

I have no desire to use an optical drive, even though I am currently developing a training DVD for a company. The battery life was more than sufficient, as well, though I don't have figures. In short, as a pro user who has lots of experience with notebooks, I am very happy with my purchase and am getting lots of work done with it and do not find that it has any missing features; it suits my needs perfectly, as it will the needs of many pros and others. My MBP is currently serving as a very expensive paper weight on a side table in my office.

I'm betting that the people who know what they are buying will be very satisfied with their purchase, but we won't hear much from them because they are busy getting stuff done. Some newbies might jump and not be satisfied, and we will more than definitely hear one heck of a lot from them.