Apple to sell "American Idol" performances through iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Fox Broadcasting Company, Fox Interactive Media, 19 Entertainment, FremantleMedia and Apple have announced a partnership that will bring music fans all of the contestant performances from Season Seven of television?s most popular show exclusively on the iTunes Store.

Kicking off with the "American Idol" Top 24 semifinalists this week, customers can purchase music performances for 99 cents per song, and viewers will be able to purchase the full video of Top 12 finalist performances for $1.99, starting March 11. In addition, beginning Monday, fans can pre-order performances of their favorite contestants from the iTunes Store, which will be automatically downloaded the day after the show airs.

"We?ve created a special section on the iTunes Store for ?Idol? fans with an incredible array of music and video performances from television?s most popular show," said Eddy Cue, Apple?s vice president of iTunes. "We think ?American Idol? viewers are going to love the ability to purchase and download ?Idol? performances from iTunes."

iTunes will also provide exclusive direct links from the free streaming performance videos on americanidol.com, the official website of the show and home to MyIdol, the Internet?s largest "American Idol" fan site. Fans will be able to simply click through to iTunes if they want to purchase their favorite performances to own and enjoy on their iPod, iPhone or Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Fox Broadcasting Company, Fox Interactive Media, 19 Entertainment, FremantleMedia and Apple have announced a partnership that will bring music fans all of the contestant performances from Season Seven of television?s most popular show exclusively on the iTunes Store.

youtube .. idol. I don't love everything they do but I can't but be impressed at how apple chooses where to go next to try and make video-by-choice the way people watch tv.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kicking off with the "American Idol" Top 24 semifinalists this week, customers can purchase music performances for 99 cents per song, and viewers will be able to purchase the full video of Top 12 finalist performances for $1.99, starting March 11. In addition, beginning Monday, fans can pre-order performances of their favorite contestants from the iTunes Store, which will be automatically downloaded the day after the show airs.

Doe this mean that every video is 1.99, IOW that viewing the whole show will be 12x1.99 ? Or would I get the TOP 12 performance for 1.99 ?

If it is the first case - can someone please call NBC/SciFi channel so that all is well for when BSG returns to a screen near you...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Money earned in Apple stock fueled by fans who buy it on iTunes.

Money saved by not buying it (or using electricity to watch it) myself.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Yay - goodby Time Warner Cable, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out of my life! American Idol was the last thing I needed (assuming that they will do the same deal with "So you think you can dance" as they are doing with AI).
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Now that's one story that makes me glad i've got a UK ITunes account.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

I doubt that it won't be for long.

Looks like the BBC shows are coming this week: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/16420/

and there are already, albeit older Pop Idol performances, on iTunes already.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

Yeah, so you can get the much more impressive "pop idol" instead...
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Yeah, so you can get the much more impressive "pop idol" instead...

Urrgh perish the thought

Quote:

I doubt that it won't be for long.

Looks like the BBC shows are coming this week: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/16420/

and there are already, albeit older Pop Idol performances, on iTunes already.

Top Gear on iTunes would be cool, although we want stuff in realtime not a constant stream of repeats.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    No, for repeats just watch Dave.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Was anyone able to watch the free stream of American Idol via their appleTV last night? I went all through the menu system (Fox, Fox reality, etc) last night and could not find it, so I went back and watched it over the hated Time Warner box.