Free disc labelling software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi there,

I've finally managed to get my partner to switch from PC to Mac, which is a great thumbs up!

Now comes the daunting task of making sure he can do all the stuff he was used to on the PC. The only thing left to find is a replacement for Nero Express.

Now I hear you all cry "Toast", but I'm not really talking about the burning bit, more the disc labelling and printing bit. Is there a free alternative on the Mac? Or are we going to have to buy something now? I was looking at something called Disc Label 5.1 - but it costs about $36.

It'd also be good to find something which could import .ncd files, alternatively we'll have to find out if you can export all his old files from Nero as EPS-type files...

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I'm not aware of any dedicated software, but you could probably whip up something in Pages 3.0.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

I was looking at something called Disc Label 5.1 - but it costs about $36.

Yes it does, but it is worth every single penny of it. DiscLabel is one of our all time favorite Mac programs. Their customer service is second to none. If you plan on making a lot of labels, and it sounds like you do, then getting DiscLabel is one of the best investments that you'll ever make. They have a free trial version if you wish to try out the program first before you buy it. We've tried other labeling programs, but this is by far the best one
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyMac8MyPC View Post

Yes it does, but it is worth every single penny of it. DiscLabel is one of our all time favorite Mac programs. Their customer service is second to none. If you plan on making a lot of labels, and it sounds like you do, then getting DiscLabel is one of the best investments that you'll ever make. They have a free trial version if you wish to try out the program first before you buy it. We've tried other labeling programs, but this is by far the best one

Thanks for the advice. I'm quite happy to spend a little bit of money for something that works well, and Disc Label doesn't look as if it would break the bank. Do you know what formats it can import?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Also consider Disc Cover from BeLight Software, it's about the same price (US$34.95) and was fun and easy to use the last time I looked at it. Had some really nice templates as well.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Do you know what formats it can import?

If you mean graphics formats, disclabel can import all the major ones like gif, jpeg and png. We tried Disc Cover from BeLight but it was way much harder to use than DiscLabel, and I don't think it can directly import song titles from iTunes like Disclabel can. Their Art Text software is great though
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Thanks for your suggestions... I will try both out and let you know! In the mean time I've managed to export (kinda) from Nero as PDF... At least then the old ones can get printed out from the Mac.

I've noticed both of those programmes are LightScribe compatible... Am very tempted to get a LightScribe drive. Anyone else had any dealings with these drives/discs? Is it worth it? Discs can be about twice the price... Apart from the Lacie external drive, does anyone know of any internal LightScribe DVD writers that are Mac-compatible?

Thanks
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I have an external drive, since 2005, and I am completely satisfied with it. The detail that can be produced is phenomenal. I digitized my "Sacred Heart" album and when I needed to put the album information on the disk I used an image of an actual "Sacred Heart" CD I found while googling. The copyright information is as clear as the copyright information on retail CDs.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Am very tempted to get a LightScribe drive. Anyone else had any dealings with these drives/discs? Is it worth it?

Yes, we made one last night as a matter of fact Very inexpensive to make one yourself. Simply pick out a good drive, for example this Asus drive. Then buy an enclosure to house it in, like this one. Simply plug the drive into the enclosure and you're all done. Take all of 5 minutes, even if you've never done it before Just make sure that they are both the same kind of interface. SATA is the best one to use and you won't pay any extra for it. We buy the blank CD's for around 9 bucks and the DVD's are around 12 bucks for 30. You'll see them on sale from time to time too. Lightscribe does not make color labels but when you see how much nicer it is not to use traditional paper labels, you won't mind that it's in black and white Go to the Lightscribe website for the latest version.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I'm pretty sure it can...see their marketing/propaganda video at http://www.belightsoft.com/resources...er_960x540.mov

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyMac8MyPC View Post

I don't think it can directly import song titles from iTunes like Disclabel can.