Apple taps Linkin Park to perform at "secret" NYC event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has enlisted the services of popular alternative rock band Linkin Park to perform at an unannounced company event due to take place in New York City, AppleInsider has been informed.

Mike Shinoda, front-man for the Grammy award winning group, revealed the plans in a brief message to his fans on Monday, in which he also acknowledged receipt of the band's second "ECHO" award -- the German equivalent of a Grammy.

"Looking forward to our first show at Madison Square Garden this week (sold out)!," he wrote. "Also, look forward to a special show that we?re doing in NYC in conjunction with Apple?shh?it?s a secret?"

Linkin Park is currently in the middle of a nationwide tour with special guests Coheed & Cambria, and Chiodos. The band will be playing tonight in Baltimore, MD before its show Thursday at Madison Square Garden in New York City. It will then head south for shows in Lexington, KY and Nashville, TN on the 25th and 26th, respectively.

It's unclear whether this "secret" New York City event has anything to do with a an Apple product event rumored to take place during the final week of the month. The company, however, has yet to issue any form of invitation or acknowledgment of such an event, suggesting one is increasingly unlikely during that timeframe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    Heck, they should be opening for Coheed.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Linkin Park? Seriously? They must have a small budget.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I saw a linkin Park video on MTV yesterday that was such a blatant rip off of U2 that at first i thought it was a joke.

I forget the name of the song, but the lead singer was doing such a bad imitation of Bono, and the guitar was not only ripping off the Edge, but the whole song sounded EXACTLY like U2's "With or Without You" but with different lyrics.

It really was embarrassing.

Find your own sound Linkin Park!
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Linkin Park? I haven't heard of them for like 3 years.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's unclear weather this "secret" New York City event ...

Is this metaphor? Are you trying to say that unclear weather is clouding the details of the event?
  • Reply 6 of 56
    Doesn't sound like a "pro" product announcement. My guess would be something iTunes/iPod/iPhone-ish
  • Reply 7 of 56
    If they are booked for 2/19 Baltimore , 2/21 NY, 2/25 KY and 2/29 in nashville, that leaves only 2/20,2/22 ,2/23, and 2/24,, . My guess is either false story or one of these 4 dates . I'll put my money on the 2/22 date . Friday is best bet.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    its probably the SDK thingy that Steve Jobs alluded to back in October. Lots of cool little doo-dads for the iphone and ipod touch. Coolio.

But there has also been alot of buzz about updated macbook pros and macbooks. Some even saying they were SUPPOSE to be announced at MWSF...but weren't because of supply issues with intel and Steve was all pissed.

Don't know if that is true, but the macbook pros are way overdue for an update as well as a redesign. So we'll see.

Anyway...
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

its probably the SDK thingy that Steve Jobs alluded to back in October. Lots of cool little doo-dads for the iphone and ipod touch. Coolio.

But there has also been alot of buzz about updated macbook pros and macbooks. Some even saying they were SUPPOSE to be announced at MWSF...but weren't because of supply issues with intel and Steve was all pissed.

Don't know if that is true, but the macbook pros are way overdue for an update as well as a redesign. So we'll see.

Anyway...

Agreed. The SDK - a huge announcement, in my opinion, if it's picked up properly in the press - along with hardware add-ons for iPhone and iTouch.

...and a $100 price drop "effective June 2008" (to prevent justifiable outry from people who just bought one for top-dollar). That way, they'll continue to sell them to people who are drooling because of the SDK and can't wait, and then a torrent of sales come June.

On second thought, that last point was dumb. Scratch that.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    Linkin Park? Gordon bennett, I've not heard anything from them in ages.

I love the "shhh...it's a secret" line. Apple ought to cancel on them for blabbing!
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Lol...yeah cool catch coolhandpete.

That last statement was ridiculous. Apple or ANY company for that matter would NEVER pre-announce a price drop 5 months down the road.

That would pretty much KILL sales until June.

I did hear rumor of a price drop for the ipod touch. And that very well may happen. It wouldn't be the same as the $200 price drop fiasco of the iphone. Because that was a new product, and people waited online overnight in the rain for days to buy that.

No, if Apple does drop the ipod touch price by$100 or $200 bucks....some may be upset, but such is life. Besides, how many people actually bought the 32gig touch for $500? I would bet that those that did, are financially secure enough NOT to be too upset anyway.

And with the SDK releases and the (hopefully) HUGE price drop, the touch will become a major seller for Apple. It really is a great product, and Apple wants it to become the "new" ipod of choice.

Anyway...I guess we'll find out soon enough. :-)
  • Reply 12 of 56
    lines are something you wait "in" not "on".

just sayin'
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Linkin Park... Lincoln? Maybe it's just a late President's Day concert.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icibaqu View Post

just sayin'

Really? You must be pretty sure about that.

• Reply 15 of 56
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

just sayin'

Well, these are musicians... could also be "for" ...
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Quote:

just sayin'

"The whole problem with the world

is that fools and fanatics

are always so certain of themselves,

but wiser people so full of doubts."

-Bertrand Russell

But W.B. Yeats saw danger in a world in which,

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity."

• Reply 17 of 56
    "unclear weather" is what we have here in Seattle. Try "unclear whether" next time. If you are going to be a professional journalist, run spell and grammar check at least. Deal?
  • Reply 18 of 56
    arguing against grammar with random quotes and a general google search does little to refute the simple linguistic and physical incongruity in saying "on line".

the only way you could wait "on line" is if one were painted on the ground (as noted in the Ellis Island example of one of the google links). But even then it would need a word in between to have it make sense "on a line" "on the line" whereas 'in line" naturally makes you a part of the thing which are waiting in.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    pinepine Posts: 22member
    Yay almost entirely devoted to semantics. How about we talk about the event, when it might be and what might be shown? My guesses are never and nothing.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Plus, a Google search for the opposite, "in line" version, yields more results. So Wilco kind of sinks his own argument with that "research method"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...22&btnG=Search