Why the all new MacBook Pro has been delayed

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Xsan 2 as well.
  • Reply 62 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freakboy View Post

Nothing. It's an incremental improvement. Macs and PCs already have teh snappy with the current batch of processors. This is not a big deal.

The energy savings are nice and they will run a little faster, but these chips aren't a huge leap forward.

Yep... this is why I'm waiting for Montevina; besides, my C2D MBP won't be a year old until March 15...
  • Reply 63 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cubbie5150 View Post

Yep... this is why I'm waiting for Montevina; besides, my C2D MBP won't be a year old until March 15...

Well, good for you! The rest of us who are running on G4 machines don't give a damn how old your Macbook Pro Core2Duo is! WE NEED NEW MACHINES NOW!!!!!!!!!!! \\\

Please? \
  • Reply 64 of 99
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Common "wisdom" around here last week was that the new MBP would be out today. Well, maybe next week.
  • Reply 65 of 99
    I'm done waiting. I'm just going to get a Macbook.
  • Reply 66 of 99
    AAAh when already. I'm really losing my patience here and apple is really disappointing me now.

Why wait with the update of MBP? if there where problems why aren't they fixed already?

what is the hold up?
  • Reply 67 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Common "wisdom" around here last week was that the new MBP would be out today. Well, maybe next week.

No. We reckon it's next week. We're expecting Apple to confirm the special event to take place on the 26th February later this week, probably Thursday. As I said, this should be MacWorld Part 2.

What is certainly clear to everyone is that MBP refresh cannot wait until Montevina and doesn't need to wait until Montevina.

Interesting rumour going around today: new MBPs will have option of 128 Gb SSD drives at same price point as 64 Gb option on MBA. SSD is big and geting bigger. Once they hit 500 Gb, hasta la vista HDDs.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

Well, good for you! The rest of us who are running on G4 machines don't give a damn how old your Macbook Pro Core2Duo is! WE NEED NEW MACHINES NOW!!!!!!!!!!! \\\

Please? \

Well, if you "need" one so bad, then get one now... If you can hold out this long for an unknown upgrade, then presumably your "need" isn't so great after all.
  • Reply 69 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

No. We reckon it's next week. We're expecting Apple to confirm the special event to take place on the 26th February later this week, probably Thursday. As I said, this should be MacWorld Part 2.

What is certainly clear to everyone is that MBP refresh cannot wait until Montevina and doesn't need to wait until Montevina.

Interesting rumour going around today: new MBPs will have option of 128 Gb SSD drives at same price point as 64 Gb option on MBA. SSD is big and geting bigger. Once they hit 500 Gb, hasta la vista HDDs.

I hope you're right!
  • Reply 70 of 99
    I wish they could do Preorders... >.>

i dont mind waiting 3weeks for a MBP to ship, then I know its coming.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    Quote:

I really hope you're right, but...

... the closer it gets to the 26th with no official invitation to the media, the less likely it is that that rumored event will be happening.

If there's no press, there's no event.
  • Reply 72 of 99
    Yeah, I concur. Apple announcing this Thursday for an event 5 days later seems to be pretty short notice for the press, etc. Still, I'm hoping Tailpipe is right!
  • Reply 73 of 99
    it´s very stange haven´t any announcement for the event of 26 february!

Let´s wait...
  • Reply 74 of 99
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Koolio View Post

Yeah, I concur. Apple announcing this Thursday for an event 5 days later seems to be pretty short notice for the press, etc. Still, I'm hoping Tailpipe is right!

I seam to recall that happening before. Rumors going out about notices going to the press on Thursday with confirmation from a few of the invitees over the weekend. That was for a special event at the Apple Headquarters.

i think it is safe to say that the event, if it does happen, will not be a mini Macworld. It will be about the iPhone and iPod Touch SDK. They only have this week and next to meet their previously announced schedule. Plus they can't just drop it open like they did with todays shuffle. They will need time to describe it, announce what it can and cannot do, and give their spin on the limitations and distribution model. I can easily see a half hour presentation just on that. Afterwards they will need to do a press conference to answer the questions every body will be having about the SDK. There will be no time fro the MB or MBP at this event. Nor can they or us stand the distraction if both the SDK and MB/MBP update happen at the same time.
  • Reply 75 of 99
    While i know for sure that an updated MBP is coming very soon and quite a lot about what features it will have, I really don't know when it is going to launch. So the event is just an educated guess.

i have been pestering people that do know with emails to provide more titbits of info, but they can't and won't.

As i said, what was reported to me is that new 15 and 17 inch models were meant to debut at MacWorld. They aren't basic refreshes but a step forward in terms of design and performance. So when these machines ship, it will be a fairly major new story.

Anybody wanting to buy a MBP should definitely hold off, we're now in the home straight....
  • Reply 76 of 99
    a Event just for a sofware to iphone and ipod touch? It´s stupid, apple never do a event just for present the SDK, it will have other things!!! NOT JUST the SDK! For sure!
  • Reply 77 of 99
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wenning1982 View Post

a Event just for a sofware to iphone and ipod touch? It´s stupid, apple never do a event just for present the SDK, it will have other things!!! NOT JUST the SDK! For sure!

We are not talking just software here, we are talking about the software to create the software. And there are an awful lot of questions to be answered. One of which is the distribution model for the software that is created from the SDK. Already there are rants on the net about how Apple will force distribution through the iTunes Store, not allow any free software and will take a cut from every application sold. And this is just one question. Others are what will the SDK allow developers do or not do with the iPhone; will application signatures be required and who is the register; will certification be required and who does the certification, Apple, ATT or a third party? It will take time for Apple to answer these and the many other questions that the developers will need answered before they can start using the SDK to write their software.

Meanwhile the MB/MBP updates and any update to any other existing hardware can be done via web page updates like todays shuffle and Xsan announcements.
  • Reply 78 of 99
    Quote:

While i know for sure that an updated MBP is coming very soon and quite a lot about what features it will have, I really don't know when it is going to launch. So the event is just an educated guess.

i have been pestering people that do know with emails to provide more titbits of info, but they can't and won't.

As i said, what was reported to me is that new 15 and 17 inch models were meant to debut at MacWorld. They aren't basic refreshes but a step forward in terms of design and performance. So when these machines ship, it will be a fairly major new story.

Anybody wanting to buy a MBP should definitely hold off, we're now in the home straight....

Were there other features that you haven't mentioned in your previous posts?
  • Reply 79 of 99
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:

Unless you're Steve or lead Hardware / Software developers, you really don't know what is going to happen for certain.

Apple could have been intending to completely revamp the MBP (which I'm assuming they still are considering the MacBookPro4,1 identifier)... but lets say things aren't going as smoothly as possible, and they realize that offering a Penryn speedbump would be much more feasible in a shorter time frame, giving themselves a bit longer for a larger refresh.

When it comes down to it, top tier Apple employees know, manufacturers know, and thats about it.

I think a serious MBP revision is long overdue... Apple knows that, and are most likely not sitting on just a speed bump.
  • Reply 80 of 99
    i've heard next week for a month... keep waiting.

old inventory is getting blown out at the moment so it does indicate a change coming, but with apples 80 point dip in the market, look for a higher profile release time...