Making the Plunge

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello. I am 2 weeks out til my verizon contract ends and going over the ATT. I am a current Blackberery 8830 user and love it. Its obviously lacking the toys so am going to get an IPhone. The rookie question. Do I wait to get an IPhone until the G3 comes out? As a non saavy user that has 200 songs on my Ipod do I really need a 16G?

Just seeking advice here as I have 2 weeks to decide.

many thanks!

[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    wait it out. the 16 gigs will probably drop to the price of the 8 giggers pretty soon. within a month. 3G is speed of the wireless network. i kinda wish i would have waited, but if you always wait for "what's next" you'll always be waiting.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Wait wait wait wait wait!

The iPhone that is available today for $399 is NO different than the one that was announced at MacWorld San Francisco over a year ago!

Don't get me wrong, I love mine more than any phone I've ever owned... but I've had it for what seems like ages! (I know I'm being a bit dramatic, but I'm trying to make a point.)

By the standards of the technology world, this phone is dated. Wait for the second generation, which will undoubtedly be available by early summer. You'll be so glad you did, then you'll be able to have that for over a year and still feel like the product you are using is new and fresh.

Buy now and you might feel the same sting many of the early adopters did, like myself.

That being said, if you just can't wait and are happy with the features currently available on this iPhone and aren't scared by a possible price drop within the next month or so, then who are we to stop you?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Check do you like in a 3G area first? Honestly I wouldn't wait. The 3G iPhone won't be out until about July.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Check do you like in a 3G area first? Honestly I wouldn't wait. The 3G iPhone won't be out until about July.

This is a good point. I am not sure if Apple even applied for a license for a 3G radio for the iPhone. This can take time. Also it was mentioned that the iPhone is dated technology and this true. About three years when you look at what is currently available. Get the phone. Enjoy it, then sell it later.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Yeah, one of my mates who keeps track on press-releases of hardware components says the 3G iPhone probably won't be announced until late this year or early next. Least, from a UK-perspective...

I'm also looking to take the leap here shortly but wondering if I should hold out. Last time I bought a MBP the next "upgrade" was released 2 weeks afterwards. (Luckily, this meant I could get the new one!)
  • Reply 6 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjective View Post

Yeah, one of my mates who keeps track on press-releases of hardware components says the 3G iPhone probably won't be announced until late this year or early next. Least, from a UK-perspective...

I'm also looking to take the leap here shortly but wondering if I should hold out. Last time I bought a MBP the next "upgrade" was released 2 weeks afterwards. (Luckily, this meant I could get the new one!)

I'd practically bet money on July or later.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

I don't care as long as it's not 2 weeks after I get mine... :P
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Well, that is not a real bet. Of course later will happen. The key is when they file for a 3G license if they haven't already. Once this is done then the game is afoot.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Wait till the end of this month. Apple is supposed to be making a iP related announcement.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post

Wait till the end of this month. Apple is supposed to be making a iP related announcement.

My guess this will be about the SDK and other app's on iTunes
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

My guess this will be about the SDK and other app's on iTunes

Most likely, but the OP. might as well wait one week.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

wait it out. the 16 gigs will probably drop to the price of the 8 giggers pretty soon. within a month.

No way. It'll be quite a while; look what happened last time Apple did that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post

Most likely, but the OP. might as well wait one week.

No, they just updated it. There won't be any hardware updates for a while.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha;1218385

No, they [i

just[/i] updated it. There won't be any hardware updates for a while.

Not necessarily, but where is the harm in waiting a week?