Why the all new MacBook Pro has been delayed

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So "tailpipe" is there anything you know that we don't?
  • Reply 82 of 99
    Could the delay be due in part to the recent Blu-ray confirmations? Maybe the delay was originally due to lack of processors, but much as happened in the past week (and certainly since macworld) which could make apple reconsider dropping a new blu-less Pro notebook now that Blu-ray is the confirmed next-gen optical drive. Obviously a lot of people are anxious to replace their MBPS, but imagine how many will feel more inclined to buy if the new ones have a major update, like the new king of optical drives.
  • Reply 83 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ramster122 View Post

Could the delay be due in part to the recent Blu-ray confirmations? Maybe the delay was originally due to lack of processors, but much as happened in the past week (and certainly since macworld) which could make apple reconsider dropping a new blu-less Pro notebook now that Blu-ray is the confirmed next-gen optical drive. Obviously a lot of people are anxious to replace their MBPS, but imagine how many will feel more inclined to buy if the new ones have a major update, like the new king of optical drives.

I agree with you. Hopefully, that would give me reason to buy a new MBP but I doubt we would see a blu-ray drive release in the upcoming MBP.
  • Reply 84 of 99
    if they weren't Dells, I might be jealous ...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/20/d...laptop-lineup/
  • Reply 85 of 99
    yeah... but one dell laptop is = 1/2 an apple laptop in longevity. Been there done that... Dell Laptops do not last. You will either need a new motherboard within 3 years, or some other ridiculous scenario. And if you need customer support, I hope you speak their language cause it's not english.... LOL
  • Reply 86 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsteinmann View Post

yeah... but one dell laptop is = 1/2 an apple laptop in longevity. Been there done that... Dell Laptops do not last. You will either need a new motherboard within 3 years, or some other ridiculous scenario. And if you need customer support, I hope you speak their language cause it's not english.... LOL

Just wondering where you got this factual information. I tried to research your claims but there is nothing out there to substantiate your claim about one dell laptop=1/2 an apple laptop as far as longevity goes.

I think you are giving us your opinion... which is either useful or NOT, depending on if you had been in the business of having multiple laptops to compare to apple and make this assessment, but my guess is that you probably haven't...

For example, if you worked in a computer lab with 40 Dell laptops and you observed this behavior, then the information you would be sharing would be valuable to us...

So could you please provide a link to the data you are sharing, or tell us how you can make this blanket statement with such certainty.

I call Llama!
  • Reply 87 of 99
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    yeesh ... so serious

focus group of one in support of jsteinmann ... had two dell laptops at work that both crapped out after about 2 years of constant use, have never had a apple laptop crap before i was ready to give it up (minimum of 4 years each)
  • Reply 88 of 99
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mahk View Post

if they weren't Dells, I might be jealous ...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/20/d...laptop-lineup/

Especially the BROWN one... to go with the ZUNE!

• Reply 89 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mahk View Post

yeesh ... so serious

focus group of one in support of jsteinmann ... had two dell laptops at work that both crapped out after about 2 years of constant use, have never had a apple laptop crap before i was ready to give it up (minimum of 4 years each)

Dell laptops have been used at my current and previous two companies, I've witnessed several of them meltdown to the point of completely unrepairable and full of unrecoverable data -- usually just after passing 1 year of use.

and MacLemming, this is an internet forum where people share their opinions based on their own experiences... I didn't know we all had to provide powerpoint presentations and spreadsheets of data to be analyzed and approved for public consumption.
  • Reply 90 of 99
    Yeah I'd also have to agree after owning two dell laptops and a Thinkpad. The cases on the dell machines are flimsy and fall apart after little use. My thinkpad on the other hand is rock solid even after a couple bed high drops. Lenovo/IBM and Apple are by far my most respected laptop manufacturers.
  • Reply 91 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kristokn View Post

and MacLemming, this is an internet forum where people share their opinions based on their own experiences... I didn't know we all had to provide powerpoint presentations and spreadsheets of data to be analyzed and approved for public consumption.

Kinda reminds me of that commercial (Bud Lite, maybe?) where this guy is on a date with a woman and has a flip chart showing her his earning potential and what their kids would look like.
  • Reply 92 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Koolio View Post

Kinda reminds me of that commercial (Bud Lite, maybe?) where this guy is on a date with a woman and has a flip chart showing her his earning potential and what their kids would look like.

YouTube link?
  • Reply 93 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsteinmann View Post

he's just another idiot who likes to build custom PCs. I've heard this from so many people who keep saying "DELL is a piece of junk, never buy BRANDED computers". This guy probably never even owned a Dell before, for your information, DELLs are extremely reliable and great computers. Even though I will be moving to an Apple (waiting for new MBP) I still have to admit that DELLs are VERY good computers.
  • Reply 94 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

he's just another idiot who likes to build custom PCs. I've heard this from so many people who keep saying "DELL is a piece of junk, never buy BRANDED computers". This guy probably never even owned a Dell before, for your information, DELLs are extremely reliable and great computers. Even though I will be moving to an Apple (waiting for new MBP) I still have to admit that DELLs are VERY good computers.

Sorry, but thats funny. Dell are very good computers . I've worked with dells for many years now, our whole center works with dells and we have and have had so many problems with them.

Not all Dells are bad but overall they are the least realiable brand in that market, i have come across.

Ok there not all so bad, they're just cheap on the pricetag and also on the quality side.

Other brands are not angels either, but dell is definitly bottom off my list.

The only reason why they here stick with dell is because they kiss a**, give special deals and replace most crap they give us for free.

e.g hp might not be much better than dell, but based on what i experienced and heard, nothing beats dell in crapiness!!

privatly I switched mainly to apple, also they are far away from perfect and have they troubles here and there. But i don't even wanna mention the name dell in same sentence.

Dells are cheap, all the way. If thats what u want, thats what u get.

cheers
  • Reply 95 of 99
    thebeat,

Don't bother to knock people who build custom PCs. If you can't understand the value and superior workmanship of a custom built machine, then honestly I hope you buy Dells (or Apples) for the rest of your life. There is no shame in building a custom PC. After building my first computer from scratch, I would never spend money on a Dell or otherwise again, except laptops. You don't fully comprehend how much you are getting ripped off by having someone else plug some cables in and install an OS until you do it yourself. If apple didn't control their hardware so tightly I'd probably be running a lot of custom machines on OS X.
  • Reply 96 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

I have never owned a Dell before, but my wife?s company has bought many Dells to use in the past because they are cheap (and because they don?t know better). She told me the other day that they are not so reliable and have had so many problems with them. Obviously, I was not so surprised. In the end, you generally get what you pay for.

I can vouch for Apple-made hardware though. I bought my 12" Powerbook over 4 years ago from another owner and it is still running great. Just one HD failure recently that was replaced. I can see it serving me for at least another year or two.

To ?thebeat?: by the way, if Dells are such ?reliable and great computers? why are you switching?
  • Reply 97 of 99
    I can't say i'm a Dell fan either.

The reason Dells are so cheap is because they buy parts in bulk orders and frequently change suppliers. A Company i was working for a while back got a batch of new laptops with defective hard drives. Sure the problem was easily fixable - and Dell were responsive in providing good service - but you have no idea the trouble it caused when 20 new laptops all failed within a month.

Times have changed and i imagine that Dell has new Quality Control procedures in place. But Dells are still cheap. It makes me wonder what corners they're cutting to save money.

Is Apple any better? Yes, i think they are. But they're more expensive. in the end, you always get what you pay for.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    Never owned a Dell before myself.. Will never........

Work bought me a Gateway laptop that lasted slightly over three years.

I had a cart of 40 Macbooks for my classroom and there was always one or two per week that were getting repaired (They were being used by students for about 12 hours/week).

I have built a bunch of PC desktops and that is certainly the way to go for PC. Otherwise you are getting a Dell or Gateway where everything (ethernet, audio, video) is integrated into the motherboard and is sharing the processor resources!!
  • Reply 99 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post

YouTube link?

You had to ask, huh?

I guess it wasn't a Bud lite commercial b/c I searched and can't find it on YouTube. If I find it, I'll post it.