Disney produces first movie-license iPod game

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Slipping through the cracks of the week's releases is the first iPod game to draw on a movie license: Disney Online Studios' Pirates of the Caribbean: Aegir's Fire.

Compatible with both newer iPod classic and iPod nano devices as well as the older fifth-generation iPod with video, the new game is based on a new story set in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie trilogy's universe.

Players chiefly engage in ship-to-ship combat over the course of 30 missions and are encouraged to use the iPod's click wheel as though it were a boat's steering wheel.

Gamers can also upgrade their ship and bring on well-known characters from the movies as crew members, Apple says.

The game is priced at the same $5 as for all iPod titles and is only the second game based on an outside movie or TV license, the other being an adaptation of ABC's ongoing Lost TV show.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Last week I traded in my old 30GB iPod Photo (4G) for a used 80GB iPod video (5.5G) (plus some cash of course). Finally no more choosing which songs to leave out.

I haven't bought a game for it yet, but want to, if for nothing more than to just to have one. I was going to get the LOST game, but now this Pirates game. Any one have a comparison of the two in review?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Wow, how many games is that? I'm looking forward to some cool stuff coming out for the touch devices.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Is it too much to ask a company to actually release something more to the beginning of a month than the very end of it when they announce something. You know what I mean. "We at Apple will be releasing an SDK for the iPhone and iPod Touch by February 2008". So we all expect it. Now I don't know about you but when someone says by a date I expect it to be before that actual date or at the very least on that date. So really we should be expecting it around the 1st of Feb 2008 at the very latest. Oh wait that date has already gone. No SDK, No legit third party apps. No word from Apple. I mean to way WHAT THE HEY!.

However it is just an iPod touch and I do have other games on my phone, MacBook, iMac and XBOX 360 I can play. I really shouldn't complain.

PS. WHERE IS MY SDK..... I really need some anger management.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    i hear both this game and the LOST game suck horribly. they also look terrible.

i'd go with peggle, minigolf, yahtzee, and zuma in that order. i have them all and they are all extremely entertaining.

but then again, it all depends on who you are and what you like.

just go through the reviews in the itunes store on each game and decide for yourself.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Thanks for the suggestions...I read some reviews and couldn't decide. I'll try peggle! But I am a LOST fan....
  • Reply 6 of 11
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

Is it too much to ask a company to actually release something more to the beginning of a month than the very end of it when they announce something. You know what I mean. "We at Apple will be releasing an SDK for the iPhone and iPod Touch by February 2008". So we all expect it. Now I don't know about you but when someone says by a date I expect it to be before that actual date or at the very least on that date. So really we should be expecting it around the 1st of Feb 2008 at the very latest. Oh wait that date has already gone. No SDK, No legit third party apps. No word from Apple. I mean to way WHAT THE HEY!.

However it is just an iPod touch and I do have other games on my phone, MacBook, iMac and XBOX 360 I can play. I really shouldn't complain.

PS. WHERE IS MY SDK..... I really need some anger management.

No offense, but you appear to be channelling Dilbert's pointy haired boss. The answer is yes, those are some pretty unreasonable things you seem to feel entitled to expect. Post this complaint at ArsTechnica or someplace frequented by engineers and programmers, and see what replies you get. I bet you a nickel that they'll not be kind. On the other hand, you'll learn a lot about crunch-time and the imposition of deadlines by management. It might open your eyes a little. In the meantime, regarding the SDK: they're working on it. When it's done, you'll get it. Or rather, real programmers will get it, and then you can redirect your ire to them. You don't need anger management so much, I suspect, as you need to talk to some professional programmers. You need to hear how tough it is to churn out polished software.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

No offense, but you appear to be channelling Dilbert's pointy haired boss. The answer is yes, those are some pretty unreasonable things you seem to feel entitled to expect. Post this complaint at ArsTechnica or someplace frequented by engineers and programmers, and see what replies you get. I bet you a nickel that they'll not be kind. On the other hand, you'll learn a lot about crunch-time and the imposition of deadlines by management. It might open your eyes a little. In the meantime, regarding the SDK: they're working on it. When it's done, you'll get it. Or rather, real programmers will get it, and then you can redirect your ire to them. You don't need anger management so much, I suspect, as you need to talk to some professional programmers. You need to hear how tough it is to churn out polished software.

La La La. Person can't have a bad hair day without someone telling them what they are not. I suspect you are probably not a hair stylist but I don't mock you for not being able to cut in a straight line. There I have said it. Something unrelated and pointless. I feel much better now. Thankyou Docter Ronbo
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

La La La. Person can't have a bad hair day without someone telling them what they are not. I suspect you are probably not a hair stylist but I don't mock you for not being able to cut in a straight line. There I have said it. Something unrelated and pointless. I feel much better now. Thankyou Docter Ronbo

I don't see anywhere that I've told you what you are or are not. What I gave you, and what you object to, is called a reality check. Please, though, do post your earlier comment on ArsTechnica, if you think I'm being rude.

And no, I'm not a hair stylist. However, if I had a verbal tantrum about hair cuts and why they can't be better and faster, and you knew that I was being unreasonable, then you would have call to give me a reality check.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Why bother ever buying iPod games again if Apple makes you buy all new games every time they release a new iPods? I got scored once I will never buy another iPod game again.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Why bother ever buying iPod games again if Apple makes you buy all new games every time they release a new iPods? I got scored once I will never buy another iPod game again.

I think it would be different if they were more expensive, but seriously, it's only $5.

I wouldn't go buying a lot of games when I was sitting around planning to buy a different iPod next week.

But if I have Bejeweled on my iPod and a year or two later, I get an incompatible iPod. If I have to buy Bejeweled all over again, it won't be the end of the world. Between those two events, I'm sure I've lost more than that in change and didn't miss it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

I don't see anywhere that I've told you what you are or are not. What I gave you, and what you object to, is called a reality check. Please, though, do post your earlier comment on ArsTechnica, if you think I'm being rude.

And no, I'm not a hair stylist. However, if I had a verbal tantrum about hair cuts and why they can't be better and faster, and you knew that I was being unreasonable, then you would have call to give me a reality check.

Now I don't know what you are upset about but I think you are taking this all too seriously. Get help. All I was saying in my bad hair day way was that if someone says a date then let it be the date. If they can not make the date then please just fess up and change the date. Don't make it sound like you are still within the period you were thinking of. Just recently Battlestar Galactica still had video stating Season 4 will start March. Then they eventually stated that it was going to be April and they didn't wait till the last day to make the notification. That is all I am after. I am not concerned that they can not do their work on time because programming is hard. I am letting off a little bit of silly steam just complaining that Companies can not treat us as adults (which clearly you and I don't count as) and let us know when things are delayed or going to come out.

As for your comment about ArsTechnica I am sure the guys over there can actually read and comprehend the essence of a statement. I am not having a go at any programmer who can not deliver on a date. Programming is tough. What I am frustrated with is the marketing department of a company that feels it is ok to bend time to sound like they did not tell un-truths. So incase you still don't understand. Programmers good guys and girls. Marketing bad. Programmers Good. Marketing Bad. Hope you get it now....