Playstation & Gameboy Adv on iPhone? Yes! :D

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm impressed. Hacking community has gone way beyond NES emulators already!

Check out these videos of Gameboy Advance and even PSX (Playstation 1) games running on iPhones! The GBA emulator supposedly runs 99% fast with some sound problems, while PSX is close to 95% with some slowdown.

Whats most impressive to me is the GBA control scheme for playing games. The transparent overlays are a nice touch! It shows us that its easily possible to turn the iPhone into a portable gaming device with deep controls and amazing graphics. The iPhone can easily become the next big thing in portable games, the new DS, the next-gen Gameboy, the PSP killer.

Just imagine what iPhone v2 can do! Steve wasn't kidding when he said 5 years ahead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnLscWFb53U PSX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQl0x...eature=related GBA Sonic Advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNV_98SaRGk GBA Mario Kart

Can't wait for SDK

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Looks cool. I wonder how easy the control really are.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Looks cool. I wonder how easy the control really are.

Looks do-able if you look at the videos. I can't imagine it being any harder than navigating around on the iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'm thinking about typical game pad behavior like when you rest your thumb on the buttons without pressing them or when you try to press and hold the up/left, up/right, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I'm thinking about typical game pad behavior like when you rest your thumb on the buttons without pressing them or when you try to press and hold the up/left, up/right, etc.

MT solves the resting palm on display issue already. Its MT, hence the name, so Up+Right A+B combos are easily used. Certain skins of the GBA emulator even have "corner" arrows, but Multi-Touch is fully capable.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

The iPhone can easily become the next big thing in portable games, the new DS, the next-gen Gameboy, the PSP killer.

Maybe DS killer but the PSP is as fast as a PS2 and doesn't lag like the iphone does playing PS1 games. I still don't see it gaining any uptake with casual or other gamers.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Maybe DS killer but the PSP is as fast as a PS2 and doesn't lag like the iphone does playing PS1 games. I still don't see it gaining any uptake with casual or other gamers.

Casual gaming will pick up. Wait for iPhone 2... you'll be saying PSwho?

PSP is garbage anyways. IMO. iPod/iPhone can do everything it does (minus crazy games, but it will) but does it better.