Maroon 5 to play open set at Apple Store SoHo on Sunday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
For the second time in less than a week, Apple's flagship retail store in downtown Manhattan will play host to a performance by a Grammy Award-winning alternative rock band, though this time around the show will be open to the public.

Beginning at 7:00 p.m. on Sunday, Maroon 5 will take a short breather from their worldwide tour with Dashboard Confessional to play an approximate one-hour set of both electric and acoustic material of their latest platinum album, It Won't Be Soon Before Long.

Space for the event is said to be extremely limited, and as such Apple recommends that audience members arrive early to assure entry.

The performance by the Los Angeles natives comes just days after a midnight gig on Thursday in which widely popular alternative rock band Linkin Park played a closed 6-song set at the Soho store.

The performance was recorded for later distribution as exclusive iTunes content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Nice, but this isn't going to make the stock go back up

How about a new product or 2 Steve ?

Hell, let's get Paul & Ringo to play a set - THEN you could announce the Beatles Special Edition iPod.

At this rate, Apple stock is a bargain, but also at this rate, it's going to take awhile to get back up near $200.00 a share.

I'm not sure what Steve / Apple could announce that would make the stock JUMP that much?

Skip
  • Reply 2 of 13
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Is this purely promotional and to get more foot traffic into stores or is there something else going on with this mini-concerts? Could this be a clue to Apple finally starting to sign artists to a record deal that eschews the major labels, except for physical media distribution?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Could this be a clue to Apple finally starting to sign artists to a record deal that eschews the major labels, except for physical media distribution?

Well, thats a stretch, but it is an interesting one...

I like the theory of a surprise product announcement. They can only milk the Important Announcement cow so often if they want to continue getting free media hype. So if they throw an announcement (iPhone 2.0...xMac...TabletMac...) in with a free concert, it might keep the media juice flowing...

(sorry about the mixed metaphors)
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I like the theory of a surprise product announcement. They can only milk the Important Announcement cow so often if they want to continue getting free media hype. So if they throw an announcement (iPhone 2.0...xMac...TabletMac...) in with a free concert, it might keep the media juice flowing...

I think it is very unlikely that Apple will make an product announcement at a mini-concert which will not likely be covered by big media outlets. They will continue with their Tuesday roll-outs and, if they have something big, hold a media event (possibly with a live performance especially if the announcement is music-related).

Quote:

Could this be a clue to Apple finally starting to sign artists to a record deal that eschews the major labels, except for physical media distribution?

I am thinking the same thing. Interesting that Apple's music partner, Starbucks, already engages as a small-time label.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Apple is producing special "MTV Unplugged" like concerts that are exclusive to iTunes. Nothing to do with more traffic in the retail stores and everything to do with more traffic to the iTunes store.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

I think it is very unlikely that Apple will make an product announcement at a mini-concert which will not likely be covered by big media outlets. They will continue with their Tuesday roll-outs and, if they have something big, hold a media event (possibly with a live performance especially if the announcement is music-related).

Of course you are right. What you say makes sense and it has been working for Apple. Still--it is interesting to expect the unexpected now and again...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Do a search for "Live from SoHo" in the iTunes store... this is nothing new, it just somehow got tangled up with the media event rumors and now it seems like a big deal. They even have a page in the iTunes store for the exclusive EPs from about 20 bands, several of them big names.

Nothing to see here.

...Unless, of course, you are Maroon 5's biggest fan... and you love Apple.. and you live near the SoHo store.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    [QUOTE=

Nothing to see here.

[/QUOTE]

Good point long time reader will remember this happening back in 2006 as well.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...o_tonight.html
  • Reply 9 of 13
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Apple is toying with its public with these inexplicable out of the blue mini concerts. What the hell is really going on?

I'm getting annoyed here! Where is my freakin iphone 2.0 or inewton2.0 or green lantern power ring 3.0? Well???
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Apple is toying with its public with these inexplicable out of the blue mini concerts. What the hell is really going on?

I'm getting annoyed here! Where is my freakin iphone 2.0 or inewton2.0 or green lantern power ring 3.0? Well???

Shows what you know. The green lantern power ring is currently only at 1.5 now. So 3.0 isn't happening for a long time, Get real.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pstone83 View Post

Good point long time reader will remember this happening back in 2006 as well.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...o_tonight.html

Well, true, but at that point, it was the first (experimentation?)

It should be interesting to see who shows up.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I'd love to see a new Newton in the near future.

Secondly... a Green Lantern ring... 3.0...

Friggen wusses, The Red Lantern Corps rule over you all.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Maroon 5 is doing stores, birthdays, barmitzphas, and car lots now a days!

lol