MacBook Pros running dry in the channel ahead of refreshes

Comments

• Reply 121 of 167
    Do you remember this words in all events?

"There is ONE MORE THING..."
  • Reply 122 of 167
    Do you remember this words in all events?

"There is ONE MORE THING..."
  • Reply 123 of 167
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    Steve actually hasn't "one more thing"-ed in quite some time ... Don't remember the last one, but he definitely doesn't do it every time (unfortunately).
  • Reply 124 of 167
    "There is ONE MORE WEEK..."
  • Reply 125 of 167
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

The $3000 I have been saving for a MacBook Pro just got spent on replacing my car transmission. I hate Honda.

Go Toyota, definitely.
  • Reply 126 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Go Toyota, definitely.

Agreed, with Toyota you will never have this problem. Honda always has some problem, and their car rusts faster. So much transmission problems too. Honda just looks better... but now Toyota looks better with their new MATRIX!
  • Reply 127 of 167
    I really hope we get the MBP update on the 26.

I don't now about the rest of you guys but I'm really getting tired of waiting and the disappointment that there isn't an update yet.

If there where problemes why aren't they fixed by now?
  • Reply 128 of 167
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    One thing that makes me nervous is the low guidance Apple gave during the last financial conference call. This showed that they do not plan major new release really soon, more like by the end of the quarter the earliest. Also, this could suggest announcing a product which is not available immediately in quantity. But then, there is no reason Apple will announce new models which are not ready to ship, these kind of things happen only during big events like MacWorld or WWDC.

The worst case scenario, which looks more and more likely to happen, Apple will (already did?) stop the production of the old models and wait the channel to dry out, then release the new ones somewhere after March 15, so the overall effect on quarterly sales will be negative. This corresponds with the information from manufacturers regarding reduced Apple orders on portables. Compare this to hints about "product transition" during the conference call preceding the release of the new iMac. They expected lower margins then (which did not turn out to be true) but growth in revenue.
  • Reply 129 of 167
    Shadow, supplies of MBPs are now running very low everywhere. i would say channel supply is now all but exhausted globally.

That means something has to come soon to fill the void. If it doesn't, Apple's Q1 sales will be a comparative bloodbath. Intel delivering Penryn late has impacted Apple's original estimates, hence the cautious note. Luckily, every other PC manufacturer is equally affected. But now that competitors are rolling out new machines, Apple must follow suit. It cannot delay.

Given that we are effectively half way through Q1 now, Apple has to balance the need to hit sales targets with a desire to have a stellar Q2. To me, that points towards a late February release not a March one.

That's why I suggested that February 26th would be the launch date for new MBPs.
  • Reply 130 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Shadow, supplies of MBPs are now running very low everywhere. i would say channel supply is now all but exhausted globally.

That means something has to come soon to fill the void. If it doesn't, Apple's Q1 sales will be a comparative bloodbath. Intel delivering Penryn late has impacted Apple's original estimates, hence the cautious note. Luckily, every other PC manufacturer is equally affected. But now that competitors are rolling out new machines, Apple must follow suit. It cannot delay.

Given that we are effectively half way through Q1 now, Apple has to balance the need to hit sales targets with a desire to have a stellar Q2. To me, that points towards a late February release not a March one.

That's why I suggested that February 26th would be the launch date for new MBPs.

i really hope you are right. I really want a MBP it is going to be my first and I'm sick of the waiting
  • Reply 131 of 167
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:

If the supply is that low you are probably right. I don't know whether this is a fact or a guess. What I can see Amazon has stock, and Apple store is not an indication anymore (as it used to be a couple of years ago).
  • Reply 132 of 167
    Quote:

I am not sure why you are saying it is running dry, my local Apple store has over 50 MBP in stock and my local Best Buy has boxes of them stocked behind a locked fence storage unit. Also, if the event for the launch is on the 26th, then why have no invitations surfaced yet? I don't think it will be next week. Maybe mid March!
  • Reply 133 of 167
    would apple maybe release the new MBP silently and let the consumers handle the hoo-haa?
  • Reply 134 of 167
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Go Toyota, definitely.

Consumer Reports (yeah, I know, those guys) used to unequivocally recommend Toyota as an option for any car in their line, but in the past year or so as Toyota has grown larger the quality has apparently begun to fall off. Probably unavoidable, really, when you think about what it takes to ramp up production.
  • Reply 135 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Consumer Reports (yeah, I know, those guys) used to unequivocally recommend Toyota as an option for any car in their line, but in the past year or so as Toyota has grown larger the quality has apparently begun to fall off. Probably unavoidable, really, when you think about what it takes to ramp up production.

Well John B. as far as corporations go, Toyota is one of the most efficient. "Toyota Production System" is the corporate business model with respect to effective and efficient human performance systems. I have never owned a Toyota, but I doubt the quality of their products has begun to "fall off" as you say.

As someone who has been one of the "Mac Faithful" since the mid 80's, I wish I could say the same for AAPL!!!! Apple isn't a "We" company anymore, it's an "Us and Them" company!!!

Kind of like that evil Microsoft.. And after all, we're only ordinary men.
  • Reply 136 of 167
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ATLienGeorgia View Post

I am not sure why you are saying it is running dry, my local Apple store has over 50 MBP in stock and my local Best Buy has boxes of them stocked behind a locked fence storage unit. Also, if the event for the launch is on the 26th, then why have no invitations surfaced yet? I don't think it will be next week. Maybe mid March!

Because you don't need an event to announce upgraded Macbook and MacBook Pros. A simple press release and Apple Store update is all Apple needs. After all, we all know what a Macbook does. We do not need an event to tell us.
  • Reply 137 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Because you don't need an event to announce upgraded Macbook and MacBook Pros. A simple press release and Apple Store update is all Apple needs. After all, we all know what a Macbook does. We do not need an event to tell us.

Exactly. Plus, the new MacBook Pro will likely only have features that the Air and MacBook already have (ie. magnetic latch, new keyboard, more curves, easier to replace hard drive, etc...). We don't need an event showing off features we've all seen before!

Sh*t or get off the pot, Apple!
  • Reply 138 of 167
    A local Apple store in NL has an offer on the MBP; 4GB upgrade costs EURO 99. Normal retail price is EURO 660.

(Here is the ad)
  • Reply 139 of 167
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacLemming View Post

Well John B. as far as corporations go, Toyota is one of the most efficient. "Toyota Production System" is the corporate business model with respect to effective and efficient human performance systems. I have never owned a Toyota, but I doubt the quality of their products has begun to "fall off" as you say.

Its not like I just made it up or anything. Toyota could probably coast quite awhile on just their reputation but apparently the quality really has begin to "fall off".

Toyota skids in reliability rankings (cnn.com)

Quote:

The Toyota brand has lost its top position for iron-clad reliability, according to an influential Consumer Reports survey released Tuesday.

The survey dropped Toyota from first to fifth place - behind Honda, Acura, Scion and Subaru - in average vehicle reliability. The rankings are based on average predicted reliability for all models sold under a given brand.

Brands made by Toyota Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co. still dominate the rankings: Scion is Toyota's low-priced car brand and Acura is Honda's luxury car brand.

Consumer Reports said it no longer recommends V6 versions of Toyota's Camry or four-wheel-drive V8 versions of its Tundra pick-up because of poor reliability.

In the past, because Toyota products have so consistently proved reliable, the magazine would assume at least average reliability for Toyota's brand new cars, without waiting for survey data from owners.

But from now on, the magazine will wait for a full year of reliability survey data to come in before it recommends a Toyota product - as it does with most other manufacturers.

Like I said, its hard to scale quality.
  • Reply 140 of 167
    Amazon UK offering special discount on MBP 17 inch that must be claimed by Saturday tomorrow. John Lewis retail stores have no availability in any of their London department stores. Apple store in Regent Street has very few left.(Also completely sold out of MBA).