Are original Airport cards compatable with thrid party wireless routers?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I recently moved and for the first time needed to go wireless with my G4 Quicksilver Desktop. I purchased an original airport card but when installed I have no signal. System Profiler sees the airport card but is not associated with any network. My Intel Laptop with airport extreme is sitting right next to my desktop and gets a full signal and has given me no troubles what-so-ever.

My wireless router is a 2Wire HomePortal 1000SW. DSL signal through AT&T.

Does the original airport card ONLY work with an Airport Base Station?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    It will work with any 802.11b compliant router.

My GUESS here, would be that your router is configured to only accept 802.11g connections. (This avoids slowing down the entire network to accommodate "b" clients.)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It will work with any 802.11b compliant router.

My GUESS here, would be that your router is configured to only accept 802.11g connections. (This avoids slowing down the entire network to accommodate "b" clients.)

Thanks for responding.

So I assume that the Airport Extreme is set up to comply to the 802.11g? Would you have any ideas how to change the configuration of the third party router or am I kinda screwed and either have to plug in my G4 or get a Airport Base Station?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I'd suggest going to the internet and finding a "manual" for that particular router. It should be easy enough to check/change its set-up.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

I'd suggest going to the internet and finding a "manual" for that particular router. It should be easy enough to check/change its set-up.

Well, I went online to the 2wire Homeportal Interface page and it seems that both my Intel Mac and my wife's PC are wirelessly connected using 802.11b.

I do have the desktop upstairs. Does the original airport card not have the range of the airport extreme? We don't even have a full staircase so it's not that far away.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

OK, please go easy on me. I didn't do a very obvious thing. In my haste to set up my desktop I plugged in the airport card but neglected to notice a little wire that is supposed to be plugged into the airport card.

Yes, I did not plug in the antenna.

Very sorry about wasting anyone's time who read this.

KingOfSomewhereHot thanks for your suggestions. Sorry I am a dolt.