Intuit says work begun on new Mac Quicken, QuickBooks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

The makers of iBank 3 seem to have issued a press release stating that it is coming, but have not released screenshots or updated their site with information.

Yeah, I looked at iBank but the inability to handle large accounts and its insane version of reconciling accounts, which is no better than the old-fashioned paper reconciliation, made me leave it for more advanced programs.

I will look at whatever they come out with, but iBank struck me as not being a serious program. Also they have been saying that a new version is coming for quite awhile now.

Moneydance comes the closest to Quicken for functionality, but there are problems with it as well. Although to be fair, I think Intuit and the banking industry are responsible for a lot of Moneydance's problems.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    FYI, here's where you can sign up to be an Intuit beta tester, if anyone's interested:

http://beta.intuit.com/signup/home.cfm

EDIT: Looks like the Mac software isn't listed as an option. This is the best contact page I could find:

https://orderupdate.intuit.com/corpo...opic=corporate
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lancaster View Post

FYI, here's where you can sign up to be an Intuit beta tester, if anyone's interested:

http://beta.intuit.com/signup/home.cfm

EDIT: Looks like the Mac software isn't listed as an option. This is the best contact page I could find:

https://orderupdate.intuit.com/corpo...opic=corporate

Honestly, do you want to beta test financial software? Do you want to trust your bank accounts and credit card numbers to beta software, especially beta software with an internet portal?

Anyway, I guess we will all have to wait and see. In the meantime, iBank3 might actually, finally be real and I always have the Quicken 2007 PC version which works under boot camp. I guess I won't be buying anybody's software for a while.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    So MacWorld's come and gone and nobody's heard a word about QuickBooks? That can't be good either.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Word was heard: All-new Cocoa app, due late this year.

Will not have any investment portfolio features. Will not have feature parity with Windows version. Will look very iLife-ish.

*shrug*
  • Reply 46 of 51
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I've tested many Quicken betas back in the OS 9 days and it worked well. They don't give out bad betas - it was more of UI issues. Now, even today I would do it - just watch the internet connectivity closely.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I've tested many Quicken betas back in the OS 9 days and it worked well. They don't give out bad betas - it was more of UI issues. Now, even today I would do it - just watch the internet connectivity closely.

Akac, if you do get a beta version and you're not forced to sign a NDA, post your experiences here please. I would be interested to know if it is worth waiting for Intuit's new product or not.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

So MacWorld's come and gone and nobody's heard a word about QuickBooks? That can't be good either.

I agree. I think that their Mac support must consist of one guy/girl and all the expressos he/she can consume.

I mean, really, we were told that Quicken 2008 for Mac would come out after Leopard because there were issues with Leopard. Ok, so they're not alone in that situation (see Adobe), but now we have to wait until Fall '08 (another year in total). And we're told we're waiting for a product that may not even have the functionality of the old version. I think that is called a downgrade (see Vista/XP).

I think that depending on Intuit at this point is pointless.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

A web-based app would be better, but bankofamerica.com has a nearly perfect web-based finance app already. It already aggregates my other accounts and analyzes spending by category. If bankofamerica.com allowed me to adjust pending transactions (restaurant tips always come up wrong) and add pending checks, I would stop using Quicken all together.

As the banks' web sites get better, Quicken will have a hard time getting people to pay for what they already get for free.

Assuming this isn't M$ style vaporware designed to freeze the competition, I think Intuit is motivated by:

1. Mac's market share is growing fast and they believe it will continue.

2. It's getting too expensive to support the crap they're putting out now so they need to either "modernize" Quicken or get out of the game altogether.

3. Bank's online offerings are cutting into sales.

4. Third party offerings are cutting into sales (MoneyDance, iBank,...).

In any case, it's Intuit's to loose. They're the 800 lb gorilla and if they would just make something decent, the vast majority of Mac users would flock to them (assuming M$ doesn't port Money to the Mac platform...and that's probably a safe assumption).
  • Reply 50 of 51
    I wish Microsoft would make Money available to Mac users. Perhaps if enough users suggest it we will eventually see Money brought to Mac users. Even if you don't purchase Money, by adding competition, it will make Quicken a better product.

Suggest it here: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/suggestions.mspx