Macbook Pro with full touchscreen support display

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Ive heard rumors that this is the next step that apple is taking, anyone else think that this would be the greatest thing ever?

Something about how the new cpus that are coming in julyish are supposed to garner a complete redesign of the internals of the macbook pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I strongly disagree.

If they release a touchscreen anything, let it be a new device.

I'm considering buying a Macbook Pro when they're released and I would really hate paying for a feature like this that I have no use for. It's almost a given that it will have the trackpad from the Air and that's fine.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you are touching the screen it's a good time to dump the keyboard, especially considering a soft keyboard has zero weight, takes up zero space, as is completely invisible and out of the way when not needed. Having a software keyboard makes this portable much thinner, lighter, more minimal, sleeker, and even more portable. If they do anything they'll go make the tablet.

That recipe worked on the iPhone, the iPhone grew from tablet research, it just makes sense. As this device is much bigger though [well will be], it would require some sort of pop-out flap/rest/stand [whatever you want to call it] so this tablet could be used on flat surfaces also. If want your portable to have a keyboard Apple makes several products with those, this will be different. Ditching the hardware keyboard is a fundamental part of that.

Judging from past history Apple isn't afraid to take bold risks, and they also know what iPhone users like about their iPhones - so this would be both bold and calculated. It's kind of tried and tested already, but now it's time to step up and really bring multi-touch to the Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I think that it would be a really cool addition, and ive heard some rumors that say that this might be the way apple is moving with the new hardware updates coming after june.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    It's fine to have a handheld device with Multi-touch but I wouldn't want to have a touchscreen MBP. Leave the touchy-feely Multi-touch stuff for a larger trackpad like the one on the MBA. I don't want my hands in the way of what I'm doing onscreen. I also don't want fingerprints and smears all over my screen. I have an iPhone and that's different. It has a smooth glass surface that's easy to wipe clean.

A large multitouch surface for use as a keyboard and visual interface is different. I'd still want to have a separate screen.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    jdrjdr Posts: 1member
    Yes, it would be very cool, but think of the price tag! No way...
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Can you please explain to me how you think the OS can support direct multi-touch interaction. A Multitouch trackpad is something completely different because it recognizes gestures and a variety of different touches as shortcuts for mouse and keyboard actions. Direct interfacing with the screen to say manipulate the four corners of a vector shape in Illustrator is just not possible with the current OS, its not built to do that.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I think that it would be pretty cool, I know that I would love this type of addition for use at school, taking notes, and not to mention all of the cool interfacing videos that ive seen. It could be one of the biggest improvements in notebook history.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDonG4 View Post

Can you please explain to me how you think the OS can support direct multi-touch interaction. A Multitouch trackpad is something completely different because it recognizes gestures and a variety of different touches as shortcuts for mouse and keyboard actions. Direct interfacing with the screen to say manipulate the four corners of a vector shape in Illustrator is just not possible with the current OS, its not built to do that.

Thats absolutely the thing, apple is set to annouce all of this at WWDC, a new version of leapord custom built for this and a new macbook style tablet, they are also thinking about adding most of the features to normal macbooks and macbook pros.

I have a good feeling about this.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    rogue68rogue68 Posts: 98member
    What about a soft keyboard built into a Wacom-type panel where the keyboard currently is? Something you can draw on with a stylus or use as a conventional keyboard - all without touching the screen at all?

Now that would be cool.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you are touching the screen it's a good time to dump the keyboard, especially considering a soft keyboard has zero weight, takes up zero space, as is completely invisible and out of the way when not needed. Having a software keyboard makes this portable much thinner, lighter, more minimal, sleeker, and even more portable. If they do anything they'll go make the tablet.

I hope this isn't implying removing the keyboard from the MacBook Pro. There are just some things that touch-screen won't work for. This isn't Starfleet, a fancy computer console isn't going to cut it. Videographers, photographers, graphic designers, etc. need the keyboard/mouse combo, with a stylus tablet thrown in on occasion, whereas touch-screen would be nothing but a fancy but useless bit of flash.

Quote:

That recipe worked on the iPhone, the iPhone grew from tablet research, it just makes sense. As this device is much bigger though [well will be], it would require some sort of pop-out flap/rest/stand [whatever you want to call it] so this tablet could be used on flat surfaces also. If want your portable to have a keyboard Apple makes several products with those, this will be different. Ditching the hardware keyboard is a fundamental part of that.

The iPhone is not even in the same class as the notebook lineup. The most it does as a computer is use the Web and check email. Beyond that, it's a phone and an iPod, nothing more. So we really shouldn't use the iPhone as a template for our computers, because the iPhone itself barely passes as a more than a PDA.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    pwnagepwnage Posts: 40member
    Yes but it would be really cool.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...en_panels.html

I think that this adds some fuel to the fire.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwnage View Post

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...en_panels.html

I think that this adds some fuel to the fire.

I have a feeling that well be seeing this new technology as soon as July.

I just have a hard time believing that so many people are negative to the idea.

Can anyone please explain why this would be a bad idea on apples part, I for one have been waiting for something like this for years and wouldn't mind paying 2k+ for a macbook with these capabilities.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I hope this isn't implying removing the keyboard from the MacBook Pro.

No the tablet would be a new "additional" product.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

The iPhone is not even in the same class as the notebook lineup. The most it does as a computer is use the Web and check email. Beyond that, it's a phone and an iPod, nothing more. So we really shouldn't use the iPhone as a template for our computers, because the iPhone itself barely passes as a more than a PDA.

You're missing the point, the only thing it would have in common with that iPhone is the way one would interact with it would be by touch, as it would use multi-touch software and hardware, i.e. a multi-touch screen. This would be a Mac touch, and yes it would have copy and paste etc. It's not for the video pro though, that's what the Mac Pro or MacBook Pro are for. This is to take some work with you. The lighter kind. But as the technology is not exactly there yet, I don't expect this device until early 2009.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're missing the point, the only thing it would have in common with that iPhone is the way one would interact with it would be by touch, as it would use multi-touch software and hardware, i.e. a multi-touch screen. This would be a Mac touch, and yes it would have copy and paste etc. It's not for the video pro though, that's what the Mac Pro or MacBook Pro are for. This is to take some work with you. The lighter kind. But as the technology is not exactly there yet, I don't expect this device until early 2009.

That still leaves hope that apple will indeed release something like this, which I think would be great.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

That still leaves hope that apple will indeed release something like this, which I think would be great.

It doesn't really make since why people would be so negative towards the idea, or maybe they just don't want to jinx it.

I have a raging clue that this is indeed going to become a reality and very soon.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SloppyJoe123 View Post

It doesn't really make since why people would be so negative towards the idea, or maybe they just don't want to jinx it.

I have a raging clue that this is indeed going to become a reality and very soon.

I think people just don't want to jinx it.

If apple were to release something similar to this: http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/r...N967UA%2523ABA

It would completely blow everyone out of the water.

I personally am getting that hp tablet/laptop until the new Macbooks are released with Nehalem, at Macworld next year.

Apples touch technology is so much better than what HP uses but what HP has is not that bad either, once apple releases something like this, we just have to sit back and watch as apple sells more notebooks than any other company.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

I think people just don't want to jinx it.

If apple were to release something similar to this: http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/r...N967UA%2523ABA

It would completely blow everyone out of the water.

But it wouldn't be new. When they go touch screen on the Mac they'll do something new. And that new thing will be using only the screen but making the device even more productive for light "work" on the move than an actual laptop. They'll ditch the physical keyboard and trackpad, I'm betting on it. The iPhone was developed from multi-touch tablet research by Apple, the tablet is not ready yet cause there are many more factors to get it ready, like component cost, component power, but mostly getting the full Mac OS X-touch, including things like Copy & Paste ready, engineered and polished to run smoothly on the device while trying all the while to evolve the iPhone and finish Leopard for the Mac in its current state.

These things take time. We'll see an Apple tablet in 2009. And it will not be a convertible.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    I disagree and agree, while I am certain that they will indeed add a tablet only slate, im sure that they will add touch technology to the normal notebooks too.