Touch or Classic?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have an 8GB iPod Touch, but some hardware issues are causing me to return it next weekend. While 8GB is all I need, the applications on the Touch are just going to waste as I never have Wi Fi access...I'm growing fonder and fonder of the iPod Classic, and if possible was deliberating getting that rather than a replacement Touch. While 80GB is far too much, the disk use is a very tempting factor (had some website issues a few weeks ago and it'd work great to save emergency backups to)...so should I stick with the Touch, which while the most innovative iPod and a whole lot of fun to use I'm not getting my money's worth out of it, or get a Classic instead, which will give me what I want? (No one suggest the Nano either, I don't like them...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    My new Nano is awesome! That's what I'd suggest.

You seem to have no use for the Touch and say that the Classic would "give you what you want." I think you answered your own question.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    You say that you never have wifi access. Where do you live? If you have the internet in your house, you have it there. And most cities are wired today...at least there are more and more hot spots popping up every day. All you have to do is check every once in awhile and you'll soon learn where they are.

I have a feeling if you go with the classic, you'll miss the fun and ability to surf the net and all that other fun stuff the touch can do. ESPECIALLY when Apple releases the SDK soon for 3rd part developers. We are talking ichat and flash capabilities most likely plus lots more.

You also say 8gigs is all you need. So whats the problem? Whats the "hardware" issue you speak of? Just the fact that you haven't used the wifi features yet?

So why not just stick with the touch? You admit its fun to use, and you also admit that 8 gigs is all you need.

Keep the touch I say. It has everything you need, and when you do come across a wifi network, I bet you will be HAPPY you can surf the web on your touch. :-)

Me, I'm getting the new 32 gig touch because I need the space AS well as being able to surf the web. Can't wait.

Anyway...enjoy whichever one you decide on.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I don't think disk use is a compelling reason to get the Classic. Get a Nano, as Denton suggested.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

You say that you never have wifi access. Where do you live? If you have the internet in your house, you have it there. And most cities are wired today...at least there are more and more hot spots popping up every day. All you have to do is check every once in awhile and you'll soon learn where they are.

I have a feeling if you go with the classic, you'll miss the fun and ability to surf the net and all that other fun stuff the touch can do. ESPECIALLY when Apple releases the SDK soon for 3rd part developers. We are talking ichat and flash capabilities most likely plus lots more.

You also say 8gigs is all you need. So whats the problem? Whats the "hardware" issue you speak of? Just the fact that you haven't used the wifi features yet?

So why not just stick with the touch? You admit its fun to use, and you also admit that 8 gigs is all you need.

Keep the touch I say. It has everything you need, and when you do come across a wifi network, I bet you will be HAPPY you can surf the web on your touch. :-)

Me, I'm getting the new 32 gig touch because I need the space AS well as being able to surf the web. Can't wait.

Anyway...enjoy whichever one you decide on.

My Touch refuses to connect to my router at home even though other devices (eg: Wii) will connect. Yeah, I enjoy using the Touch but the fact it won't even connect when I can get other devices to is really frustrating (plus starting a couple of weeks ago I've been at boarding school and won't even have Wi Fi access for most of the next year).

The hardware issues range from things like the accelerometer and auto-brightness features not working correctly, to parts of the screen being unresponsive, to the screen itself not even turning on unless I quickly connect/disconnect it to a charger.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I don't think disk use is a compelling reason to get the Classic. Get a Nano, as Denton suggested.

I agree with that. If all you need is 8GB and don't want a Touch, the Nano is the best choice (plus: pretty colors!)
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

My new Nano is awesome! That's what I'd suggest.

You seem to have no use for the Touch and say that the Classic would "give you what you want." I think you answered your own question.

Well the Classic has ton of problems the clicker sounds like the 5th gen. and not like on the Nano

and my iPod Nano has no problems at all and I got it the last week of September
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Just an FYI: IF you go with the 8Gig touch, this week they put it up online at the apple.com under the refurbished iPods. 8Gig @ $249.00.

Then again you can get the 80Gig Classic in Black @ $209.00.

If it were me, I'd go with the Touch... But my 2nd gen Nano is still working and does all I need for now - plus I don't have wireless in the house...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I use my touch as PDA as well as the music/video stuff. It can only get better when the 3rd party developers get their dirty little hands on it.

As it is, the calendar works nicely, Notes is useful as a to do list and I use the mail client as a store for Word, Excel and PDF Docs.

Go on, keep the Touch - it's so much more than just an iPod
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBookAir77 View Post

Well the Classic has ton of problems the clicker sounds like the 5th gen. and not like on the Nano

and my iPod Nano has no problems at all and I got it the last week of September

Well, I've always used my series of BIG iPod's for multiple tasks, especially including backing up and transporting vital files from school-- my lectures, works in progress, illustrations and all kinds of thing back and forth between macs-- I know, I know, I should use my .mac account to share all these things, but I can never get my university desktop to reliably sync... Too many fire walls?

Anyway, my post here is to say how great my disappointment was when I bought an iTouch, and found that it did not have a disk mode! Anyone know why this is so. Is it technically impossible, or just somebody's oversight. I am afraid it is a meaningless crippling of what seems a fantastic device.

I took my iTouch back and swapped it for a 160GB Classic.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Anyway, my post here is to say how great my disappointment was when I bought an iTouch, and found that it did not have a disk mode! Anyone know why this is so. Is it technically impossible, or just somebody's oversight. I am afraid it is a meaningless crippling of what seems a fantastic device.

There are 3rd party applications which allow you to use it as a disk, as well as offering you access to the standard applications.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Does anyone one know what the actual capacity is for the 32GB iTouch?