No-Name vs. Crucial

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just switched to a macbook and was looking at RAM upgrades. I use my computer mostly for audio recording so at any one time I usually have a lot of different programs open. I was wondering if it is worth the extra money to go with crucial over a cheaper brand. The price isn't all that much more, so will I see a performance increase with Crucial?

Off-Brand

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

Crucial

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    It's pretty hard to find bad RAM these days. So while Crucial is a tried-and-true brand (though not as much as Kingston, IMO), there's nothing to suggest that the OWC modules are of any lesser quality.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    RAM is such a commodity product nowadays that it probably doesn't matter. I buy so much computer stuff that I'm bound to run into a problem or three, but the average consumer isn't.

However, if the difference is only a few dollars, I'd buy the better brand (and if the difference is more than a few dollars, I'd find a different store).
  • Reply 3 of 16
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I agree with FuturePast. Exactly how much money are you saving going with the no-name memory? If its the OWC memory, you'd be saving a lot correct?

Edit: If you look around at NewEgg you can get PNY memory cheaper than OWC, even cheaper for the A-Data memory.

If you go the NewEgg route, just make sure you are ordering the right stuff. 200 pin SODIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) unbuffered 1.8v with a Cas latency of 5. The trick at NewEgg is to check the user comments for people who have installed it sucessfully in other MacBooks, iMacs, etc. Read all the reviews, don't just look at the chart. The advantage to OWC is that they are Mac people from the start.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    OWC OEM's from a brand-name supplier (one view to their web site makes it easy to figure out which one). You save money because they are able to provide a warranty and support more cheaply than the supplier can. They also purchase in bulk, acting as their own distributor. In other words, OWC is great!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

OWC OEM's from a brand-name supplier (one view to their web site makes it easy to figure out which one). You save money because they are able to provide a warranty and support more cheaply than the supplier can. They also purchase in bulk, acting as their own distributor. In other words, OWC is great!

Just purchased an additional 1 gb on the strength of your rave review.

(And the fact that Crucial is being dumb with my credit card).
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I agree with FuturePast. Exactly how much money are you saving going with the no-name memory? If its the OWC memory, you'd be saving a lot correct?

Edit: If you look around at NewEgg you can get PNY memory cheaper than OWC, even cheaper for the A-Data memory.

If you go the NewEgg route, just make sure you are ordering the right stuff. 200 pin SODIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) unbuffered 1.8v with a Cas latency of 5. The trick at NewEgg is to check the user comments for people who have installed it sucessfully in other MacBooks, iMacs, etc. Read all the reviews, don't just look at the chart. The advantage to OWC is that they are Mac people from the start.

I am looking to buy a MB or MBP and going to add 2GB of RAM but no way would install it myself....should I go to a computer store and have them install it? any recommendations?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    No, it's something you should be able to do yourself. If it's a MacBook, there's three screws under the battery that hold a thin L-shaped strip of metal on... right under there, you'll find the levers to release the RAM.

If it's a MacBook Pro, under the battery, you'll find three or four screws (depending on size), which allow a small aluminum panel to come off. The RAM is right under there.

In either case, once you install the RAM, just follow the steps in reverse to reassemble the machine.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Just installed 4GB of Crucial RAM to my 2.4GHz iMac and it was a breeze
  • Reply 9 of 16
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    who has the best return policy and warranty, i've bought from both, and if it's just a few bucks then it's a tossup both owc nd crucial are respected companies.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

No, it's something you should be able to do yourself. If it's a MacBook, there's three screws under the battery that hold a thin L-shaped strip of metal on... right under there, you'll find the levers to release the RAM.

If it's a MacBook Pro, under the battery, you'll find three or four screws (depending on size), which allow a small aluminum panel to come off. The RAM is right under there.

In either case, once you install the RAM, just follow the steps in reverse to reassemble the machine.

Should I buy one stick of 2GB of RAM or can if fit 2 sticks 1GB each
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

Should I buy one stick of 2GB of RAM or can if fit 2 sticks 1GB each

Both MB & MBP come with 2GB (2 x 1GB) installed now, except the entry level MB which has 1GB as standard (2x 512MB)
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Both MB & MBP come with 2GB (2 x 1GB) installed now, except the entry level MB which has 1GB as standard (2x 512MB)

How many empty slots are there? I was wondering if I need to buy 1 stick of 2GB RAM or can I buy 2 sticks of !GB RAM each?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I'd like to know this too. I just ordered one of the new MBP's on Tuesday with the minimum amount of RAM (2GB). I'm not sure how many slots there are, nor what configuration that 2GB is coming in, and thus am not sure what to purchase to push it up to 4GB.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Well based on this from Apple's site, it looks like the MBP's have 2 slots:

Quote:

The MacBook Pro will run fine with either a single memory slot filled or with both memory slots filled with two unmatched memory sizes (such as a 512MB DIMM in one slot and a 1GB DIMM in the other).

However, if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM (such as two 512MB DIMMs of the same type), you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling MacBook Pro to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps.

I guess it is too much to hope for that a 2GB confiuration would come as one stick?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

It's pretty hard to find bad RAM these days. So while Crucial is a tried-and-true brand (though not as much as Kingston, IMO), there's nothing to suggest that the OWC modules are of any lesser quality.

What do you think of Corsair? I've always been a fan of them for my PC Desktop RAM, and after rebate this seems like it is right in line with other ram prices posted above:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233062
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ozzieboyozzieboy Posts: 22member
    See http://www.everymac.com for extensive listings on how many RAM slots, etc.

As was stated above, read the reviews on stuff like that Corsair and other offbrands. If users of your machine have reported success -- esp after a few weeks of use --, you are golden. There was a time (think G4 processors) when Apple machines were VERY picky about name-brand RAM. Not so much anymore. Just get your specs right, you will probably be okay...but definitely use user reviews as a backup. And if you want no worries, order the OWC. It is guaranteed and they ARE Mac-centric first and foremost.

OWC has good service, they will cross-ship you replacement RAM if one of their chips goes bad. Which is highly unlikely in the first place.