Top 5 Apple Mistakes from 2002-2008

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hy what do you guys think?

http://rad-box.com/?p=97

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    You have got to be kidding me...

Mac Air is a mistake before we have even had a chance to see how successful it is with the niche market it was designed for? And nevermind that it is pioneering new technology in that we will enjoy in Macbooks and Macbook Pros. It also seems like this guy didn't do his homework regarding the Macbook Air.

Apple TV 1st Edition was not successful. I think it was a necessary stepping stone, though, for Apple TV 2, and Apple made good on this mistake by upgrading the first editions of Apple TV to support the features of new models (and may continue to do so as the Apple TV is revised). Apple is pushing into a new territory with this that has not really been fleshed out (as was the case with digital media players before the iPod) so it is necessary to push through sludge before finding gold.

Bricking iPhones... yeah... people hacked them. Why would Apple support that?

Apple even announced that it would be bricking iPhones.

Leopard is awesome and successful. It was a little buggy at first, but not really at this point. My Macs which run Leopard are rock solid. It is not slow.

WTF did they list the iPod Shuffle? What makes them think it has been a failure? People purchased all sorts of these little guys and having no screen made smaller sizes and better battery life possible. I disliked the original release but that was for aesthetic reasons.

.MAC has been cold. They should have ranted about that.

Apple hasn't really been screwing up in recent years. They've just made products which perform somewhat well, which are successful, or which are super successful.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    .MAC is way overpriced. They need to change that.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Thanks for the post goldenapple . I think the article is pretty average, then again I wrote it :P.

Just in regards to the Mac Air, the 4 things stopping it from being the killer product of 08 are:

1) No ethernet (only usb to eth adapters)...so if you lose the adapter, goodbye to ethernet at the office.

2) Battery is not replace-able, if you could plug in a new battery when running low, that would make it more "portable".

3) Not enough usb's, 2 more slots and it would be perfect! You can then plug in a mouse, an external usb drive or key and usb to eth adapter all at once no hubs required.

4) Price, even if they didn't do the 3, if they dropped it down $500 US it would be worth what you get. Otherwise it is a little steep.

Due to those reasons ...I don't think it has a good chance unless something changes.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    everythings right but would have like to see .MAC but it wasn't a mistake just overpriced
  • Reply 5 of 20
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I do prefer Tiger over Leopard for the most part. But Leopard does have a killer feature that makes me stick with it, that being Time Machine.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

You have got to be kidding me...

Bricking iPhones... yeah... people hacked them. Why would Apple support that?

Apple even announced that it would be bricking iPhones.

Didn't I hear that firmware update 1.1.3 restored all the bricked phones and wasn't the bricking problem with one particular method of unlocking the phone? I think Apple has taken a lot of unwarranted heat for this. Besides, as you say, Apple warned everyone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aleks85 View Post

Thanks for the post goldenapple . I think the article is pretty average, then again I wrote it :P.

Just in regards to the Mac Air, the 4 things stopping it from being the killer product of 08 are:

1) No ethernet (only usb to eth adapters)...so if you lose the adapter, goodbye to ethernet at the office.

2) Battery is not replace-able, if you could plug in a new battery when running low, that would make it more "portable".

3) Not enough usb's, 2 more slots and it would be perfect! You can then plug in a mouse, an external usb drive or key and usb to eth adapter all at once no hubs required.

4) Price, even if they didn't do the 3, if they dropped it down $500 US it would be worth what you get. Otherwise it is a little steep.

Due to those reasons ...I don't think it has a good chance unless something changes.

Out of your four complaints only one matters to me, number 4 the cost. The others are not an issues I care that much about. My issue with the Mac Air is the size. It is to small for me.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I used ".Mac" when it was free and called "iTools". I would be inclined to use it again, with the recent upgrades and integration, but I still can't justify the price. Unless and until Apple drops or eliminates the price, I will remain on the sidelines.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    First of all Leopard blew me away 300 new features,ect.

Second, The iPod Shuffle?2days after it came out I saw everyone had them with the lynlard
  • Reply 9 of 20
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Lets do this again one more time, for old time's sake:

Quote:

Even if it had an RJ-45 jack, what if you lost your ethernet cable. OMG suxors!!!! I mean, <sarcasm>since there is no wireless way to network in 2008</sarcasm>, what then??? (Oh... wait... )

Quote:

If you were so inclined, you can actually plug in an external battery into the MagSafe power connector. I'm not sure how that would be portable, exactly. I don't know if anyone is shipping something like that yet for the Air (there are iPod versions "in the wild"), but since you are the one with the mad Apple analysis skillz I'll let you Google it for us.

Quote:

Serendipitously, the Apple store actually sells BlueTooth mice. Coincidence? Someone call Geraldo! Or maybe even an investigative journalist!

Quote:

Simply price this against any comparable machine. Be sure to include price, processing power, size, availability of advanced storage systems, sleek design, etc. in your equation.

Quote:

Ahhh, and there is the beauty of capitalism... If it doesn't appeal to *you*, then don't buy one.

But good luck with the whole blogging thing, aleks85 or goldenapple or whoever you are. (Oh, damn, I wasn't supposed to tell everyone you are the same person! SORRY!!! )
  • Reply 10 of 20
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Whoever came up with that list needs to lay off the crack.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    haha yeah... is this a serious list? or a joke?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    .Mac should be free.

Air shouldn't have been released.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

.Mac should be free.

Air shouldn't have been released.

Apple should just close down and give the shareholders back their money.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Simply price this against any comparable machine. Be sure to include price, processing power, size, availability of advanced storage systems, sleek design, etc. in your equation.

I believe the Lenovo X300 is broadly similar, although only 1.2 GHz. Estimated to cost $2,800 or so when it launches, so $500 for the Air seems reasonable, sure...
  • Reply 15 of 20
    you guys all complain about the design of the MBA, yet its Apples best selling Mac for over a month now & is sold out everywhere mostly. I think they knew what they were designing and made a great product with the MBA. You can't go arround comparing it however to any other laptop besides an ultra portable like the Sony tz. Any other comparison is like comparing a corvette and a landrover, arguing over which is better for off road. Obviously the one product was not built for that!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    The things they list aren't that bad. Sure, the AppleTV is still far from ready in prime time, and the MBA has a lot of drawbacks, but are are worse things they have done.

Appleworks/iWork: Basically put to pasture years before it was replaced and when finally full replaced less than a year ago you have to pony up another $80 to do little Johnny's homework. Microsoft thanks you for office sales and not letting users know how good iWork really is.

iWeb: Could have been a whole new way of doing webpages and could have served as a base for a pro app to go up against Dreamweaver. Instead you have an application based on assuming you know absolutely nothing and will never learn anything. No support for adding HTML at all. So much promise, but ended up being a pretty looking version of the online personal webpage programs.

iMovie '08: iWeb but for movies. Easy to create basic movies, but incompatible with previous versions of iMovie and has little editing capability. If that isn't bad enough, they got it right before.

MacMini: When this thing was released it was actually pretty competitive with similar entry level desktops with the exception of the bizarre bring your own keyboard and mouse thing. Flash forward a couple years, 3.5" storage has exploded while 2.5" drives really haven't. 80GB and 120GB isn't going to cut it anymore especially with the iTunes revolution Apple started. Please release a 3.5" version about the size of the time capsule or better yet bring back the eMac name. Yes, you've made your point you can build something at this price point that is very very small. Now shoe us you can build something really really good instead.

Other mistakes:

Front Row: Apple can buy Elgato for peanuts, so there is absolutely no excuse for not having excellent first party PVR capabilities. Yeah, iTunes store yada yada yada, but some how getting a clipshow of the Cubs game for $1.99 three weeks later isn't the same from watching the thing when I get home from. Plus, Mac PVR + AppleTV = $$$.

One other slight nitpick here in front row: yeah I know the remote is supposed to be basic and all, but having the menu button double as a back button doesn't work the best. When press the menu button I expect to go back to the finder with my song or movie paused. Instead I have to press the thing six times to back out and lose whatever I was listening to.

And the number one mistake: allowing Microsoft to buy Bungie. Yeah, yeah, yeah, games belong on the Xbox or however else you want to spin this. Microsoft got something much more valuable than the games from this buy, they got to steal Apple's thunder. Bungie went from being Apple's big fish to Microsoft's overnight. Halo went from headlining Macword to headlining CES. I don't care if games aren't a priority, but you don't let something like this happen. You pay them whatever they want and meet any conditions they have, including letting them release on multiple platforms.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Might Mouse.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Apple should just close down and give the shareholders back their money.

Cute.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Might Mouse.

That one I forgot about. Great idea in theory, but it took less than three months to become unusable.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Cute.

I remember some idiot said that a few years back. His company now I think is worth between 1/2 and 1/3 of Apple. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, Michael Dell.

Whos laughing now?