Shame on Google!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
You know, I thought great things would come out of this "Google-Apple" partnership with Googles CEO on the Apple board and all, but noooooooooooo.....

Recently I found out about some cool updates to Gmail including using AIM through Gmail, colored labels and more. To my dismay, all these new features were only available for IE

If Google is in such a so-called competition with M$ for certain aspects of the net, wouldn't it be smarter for for them to release new features on Safari and Firefox first, and then IE much later?

It sucks to even have freakin Firefox be compatible with stuff before Safari. I freakin hate IE & Firefox, I want to use my damn Safari!

Give us more Safari support and exclusives idiot web programmers! I'm tired of seeing IE-only sites or reading "Your web browser is incompatible, upgrade to IE7!".

Safari IMO is the best browser out there and is only getting better.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Is this same google mail that's still in beta?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Is this same google mail that's still in beta?

Yes it, and it will probably remain so for years if you judge that by the rest of Googs line-up (which coincidentally is also all in beta).
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

You know, I thought great things would come out of this "Google-Apple" partnership with Googles CEO on the Apple board and all, but noooooooooooo.....

Recently I found out about some cool updates to Gmail including using AIM through Gmail, colored labels and more. To my dismay, all these new features were only available for IE

If Google is in such a so-called competition with M$ for certain aspects of the net, wouldn't it be smarter for for them to release new features on Safari and Firefox first, and then IE much later?

It sucks to even have freakin Firefox be compatible with stuff before Safari. I freakin hate IE & Firefox, I want to use my damn Safari!

Give us more Safari support and exclusives idiot web programmers! I'm tired of seeing IE-only sites or reading "Your web browser is incompatible, upgrade to IE7!".

Safari IMO is the best browser out there and is only getting better.

Those features work on FireFox which I use on my Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    it's probably because IE is the main browswer
  • Reply 5 of 10
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post

Main? IE is the "main" browser? If so, can I be the main man of Apple Insider? No? How about the main man of Appleville in Cupertino?

Just b/c IE has the most market share - which is what I think you meant - doesn't automatically make it ok for features to come out first for it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post

It's probably IE because the gent or gal that made the first implementation coded against IE because that's what they were comfortable with. Google gives all it's engineers 20% of their time to develop independent projects. Those projects that look promising enough are made available as beta's. Not much more than that on the development side.

If the project really does well and somehow can turn into a cash cow, Google will dedicate more resources to it, otherwise it stays as a 20% project and that means progress slows dramatically since the biggest functionality gains are always early.

Also remember those engineers need to justify to their manager the number of users their project is reaching, so there will be an early bias to IE because of the market share it currently has. Pure laziness there, but it's playing of the game.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    When I read that my first reaction was, "Which version of IE?" My guess is that someone is getting paid to write code by the line.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Really Shame on Google, I can feel the your experience with it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Main? IE is the "main" browser? If so, can I be the main man of Apple Insider? No? How about the main man of Appleville in Cupertino?

Just b/c IE has the most market share - which is what I think you meant - doesn't automatically make it ok for features to come out first for it.

Don't be an idiot! Of course is does, the majority of the world use IE for web browsing, whenever someone wants to make a 3rd party app for a web browser they would be pretty stupid not to release on IE first. Unless there was a specific reason, i.e. the app was to fix a shortcoming in another browser for instance.

Just like even though 3rd party developers cannot develop apps for the iphone yet, but when they do you will still see most apps developed for Symbian, Windows and Blackberry before they are ported onto the iphone. If they are business apps they would be Windows and Blackberry and probably never get to the iphone.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Back to reality every one... here is the current browser market share for Q1 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:U...sers_Chart.png

75.19% Internet Explorer, 17.12% Firefox, 5.76% Safari. It is silly to think a company would not want to give the largest audience of people the ability to use their new/updated tools. When I looked this up I was actually surprised to see IE was lower than 80, this is probably the first time they have been.

I agree Safari is my FAVORITE browser, I even use the Windows Beta as much as I can when there aren't compatibility issues with the tools I use to do my job. Let's just hope that IE number continues to go down and we will see more cross browser support from the development side.

-K