RIM sees no slowdown as analyst questions 10M iPhone target

Comments

• Reply 81 of 155
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdotdubz View Post

dude, now your pulling stuff out of your ass. Where did you get this quote from?

That quote is real--it came from Steve Jobs just before the iPhone launch:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinv...enson-qa_N.htm

I'm not sure why only the first Apple mention of "10 million" is worth discussing, when their various follow-up statements don't contradict it, and in fact clarify it
  • Reply 82 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

That quote is real--it came from Steve Jobs just before the iPhone launch:

I'm not sure why only the first Apple mention of "10 million" is worth discussing, when their various follow-up statements don't contradict it, and in fact clarify it

Well, these things can be interpeted differently.

Its pretty clear to me what was said from the beginning, and so far they are delivering and/or exceeding expectations.

In any case, who cares if the sell 9 Million or 29 Million, either way they have outsold Windows Mobile, Palm, and ate a significant potion of RIMM to the point where they almost have equal market share. All this in its first 6 months of availability... that screams success and runaway hit to me and anyone else with basic comprehension skills.
  • Reply 83 of 155
    m2cm2c Posts: 1member
    I believe that the said analyst will be looking like a BIG IDIOT come this time next year! Apple always makes monkeys out of analysts - when will Wall Street ever learn that you should NEVER underestimate APPLE?
  • Reply 84 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M2C View Post

I believe that the said analyst will be looking like a BIG IDIOT come this time next year! Apple always makes monkeys out of analysts - when will Wall Street ever learn that you should NEVER underestimate APPLE?

ditto
  • Reply 85 of 155
    Quote:

dude, now your pulling stuff out of your ass. Where did you get this quote from? I was pretty sure we were arguing what was said in the Keynote in mwsf06, where the still shot was taken from earlier in the thread.

Clearly, SJ is saying that, in the year 2008, Apple will surprass 10M (aka 1% marketshare) in sales, not sell 10M in 08, which they very well might, who knows.

With your quote he is saying 10M is a realistic marker for them to pass in 2008, that 10M seems realistic to Apple.
    Your argument is completely baseless and your severely twisting words.

I linked this quote the first time around:

He doesn't say PASS. He doesn't say SURPASS.

I'm not the one adding words he didn't say. I'm saying "sell 10 million iPhones in the first calendar year" means sell 10 million iPhones in the first calendar year. You're the one saying "sell 10 million iPhones in the first calendar year" means "start selling phones midyear and reach the 10 million mark sometime in the next calendar year". Seriously, what sort of RDF are you living in where a literal interpretation is "twisting words" but putting words in Steve Jobs mouth isn't?

Q: Do you still think you'll sell 10 million iPhones in the first calendar year ? or will it be more?

Jobs: We think 10 million is a realistic goal.

If you care to check the other keynote, Jobs reiterates selling ten million in 2008.
  • Reply 86 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I linked this quote the first time around:

He doesn't say PASS. He doesn't say SURPASS.

I'm not the one adding words he didn't say. I'm saying "sell 10 million iPhones in the first calendar year" means sell 10 million iPhones in the first calendar year. You're the one saying "sell 10 million iPhones in the first calendar year" means "start selling phones midyear and reach the 10 million mark sometime in the next calendar year". Seriously, what sort of RDF are you living in where a literal interpretation is "twisting words" but putting words in Steve Jobs mouth isn't?

Q: Do you still think you'll sell 10 million iPhones in the first calendar year — or will it be more?

If you care to check the other keynote, Jobs reiterates selling ten million in 2008.

Dear Lord.

He means, meaning that you should infer, that Apple will surpass 10M in 2008.

Once again, who the hell "sells 3% marketshare in a give year"? Nobody describes it like that. They acchieve a certain marketshare within a specific time frame. Thats what SJ is saying.

...meaning this, Steve: "Yes, we will have sold 10M total in the year 2008, we will have acchieved 1% market share in 2008"

Why is so hard to comprehend?

So now suddenly the argument goes from the video to some obscure quote online?
  • Reply 87 of 155
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Well that would be great if people weren't unlocking the damn things at an astonishing rate. Does this guy not know how many are bought and unlocked or has he chosen to ignore this fact?

Personally I think it is great that people are unlocking this phone and rejecting Apples excessive desire for money. People have a right to stand up to unbridled greed and lets face it if these numbers are accurate Apple is making way to much money off this phone.

Quote:

How would Apple make any money on unlocked phones on carriers that don't share revenue with them if they lowered the price much more?

Frankly I don't want to see Apple lower the price, I simply want to be able to hook up to the carrier of my choice at the lowest cost possible. This idea of paying Apple a monthly fee on something I supposedly bought out right is just stupid. It is one thing about the iPhone that just rubs me the wrong way.

Dave
  • Reply 88 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by csimmons View Post

I love reading stuff like this, because it really does point out the fundamental difference between Apple and its competitors with regard to business psychology. Most people still don't get the fact that Apple succeeds because their products are usability driven, NOT feature driven something that is still lost on many people, including the above poster.

What good does a product with tons of features do if the user experience is sub par? The iPhone succeeds because it implements the features that it has really, really well. Why else does it have the highest customer satisfaction ratings of any cell phone EVER? Anybody who has honestly compared WM6, Linux and Symbian-based smartphones with the the iPhone knows that the iPhone wins hands down in terms of useability. How the poster above can so easily dismiss that is very short sighted in my opinion. Stuff like 5MP cameras on a phone is more marketing hype than anything else, and 3G is not as widely available in the USA - the iPhone's main market - as it is in Europe and Asia, but a 3G iPhone is coming, so the iPhone's lack of 3G is a moot point.

It's very easy to debunk many more of the points the above post tries to make, so I won't go there. What I will say is: if Nokia and SE's implementation of all these technologies is so superior to the iPhone's, then why are those two companies trying so hard to recreate (read: copy) the iPhone in their forthcoming products?

Really. Usability driven. I guess Apple got carried away with all those FEATURES they put in Leopard. Maybe all those features confuse you. Who knows. Personally I like to have the ability to send one SMS to more than one person at a time or the ability to forward an SMS. No one said that the iPhone is subpar in its usability or functionality, but it is short on some of the features that some power users deem essential. To dismiss these wants is nothing less than myopathy. Apple is a master as usability, and in delivering great features, however in my opinion I feel they rushed the iPhone and fell short of the mark. Maybe they were wetting everyones appetite and will deliver the goods in the next iPhone incarnation.

Good thing that 5MP cameras are just marketing hype. Better tell Nokia, SE, Samsung and the rest to save their investment and go the route of a tried and true 2MP camera just like the iPhone. Too bad many people actually buy phones for features. It's also easy to say something is moot when this moot item happens to be lacking. I don't have a bazillion dollars so money is moot.

Please debunk the fact that Nokia and SE have had TS UI for several years on several different products. They did not have the MT technology that Apple implemented in the iPhone and iPod Touch but they did have the touch screens. So I guess Apple took a superior technology and created a much better implementation, and bundled it with a winning eco-system. Smart move on their part. The market is ripe for this technology and all interested parties will deliver. While the iPhone may have been launched in the US market first, it is not the only market. Finland had the chance to have the iPhone with Sonera but Sonera declined because the iPhone lacked 3G which all phones must have if they are to be bundled with a contract. A wasted opportunity on a small but incredibly tech-savvy market.
  • Reply 89 of 155
    Quote:

He means, meaning that you should infer, that Apple will surpass 10M in 2008.

Same old, same old. "He didn't say that...but you should INFER it."

If that's what he meant, why didn't he come out and say "Apple will surpass 10M in 2008"? Well, why?

Quote:

Once again, who the hell "sells 3% marketshare in a give year"? Nobody describes it like that. They acchieve a certain marketshare within a specific time frame. Thats what SJ is saying.

But that's not what he said. Again, you're insisting that he said one thing but meant another. And your repeated "but nobody says that!" just makes it seem like you're in denial that he actually meant what he said.

Quote:

...meaning this, Steve: "Yes, we will have sold 10M total in the year 2008, we will have acchieved 1% market share in 2008"

Again, again, again. He said one thing, but you insist on interpreting his statement into different words. He could have said "we will have sold 10M total in the year 2008". But he didn't. And yet you insist he meant something else, and not what he actually said.

Quote:

Why is so hard to comprehend?

Until you've demonstrated that you actually understand what Jobs said, you might want to lay off the rhetoric.

Quote:

So now suddenly the argument goes from the video to some obscure quote online?

Huh? What's the problem? The keynote supports what I said, I'm happy to keep talking about it. I just figured another source might clear it up for you, and it seems crystal clear to me.

What exactly is your objection to the USA today quote? Other than it demonstrates that your "interpretation" is wrong?
  • Reply 90 of 155
    To follow up, in the Q4 2007 conference call, it is reiterated at the 27 minute mark.

"I would reiterate that we're very confident with shipping ten million in the calendar year of next year"
  • Reply 91 of 155
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

Well golly, the iPhone has not even been out a year yet - if you think Apple is not going to borrow from it's iPod playbook then your an idiot.

Good point.

But if you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're," then you're...
  • Reply 92 of 155
    Quote:

One last time, Jobs is saying CLEARLY that Apple will have sold 10M iPhones and acchieved 1% marketshare by the end of the calendar year 2008. Why can't you comprehend that simple & clear fact? Its beyond me.

It's pretty amazing that you can keep insisting Jobs said "X" when he simply didn't say that.

Really, if he meant "Apple will have sold 10M iPhones", why didn't he just say "Apple will have sold 10M iPhones"? Is that such a hard question to answer?
  • Reply 93 of 155
    There are maybe 500,000,000 English speakers in the world. That means you're going to get 500,000,000 different perceptions of every sentence. So one more won't hurt!

Quote:

Q: Do you still think you'll sell 10 million iPhones in the first calendar year ? or will it be more?

To me, the reason they specified "calendar year" instead of "first year" is that the first year ended on December 31, 2007. The first calendar year after introduction ends on June 29, 2008. Steve Jobs says "10 Million in 2008. This is contradictory; live with it! Perfection is for the Gods!

All of this is totally irrelevant, anyway. If Apple introduces a 3G iPhone in June and that causes increased sales, and they sell 15,000,000 all told in the year 2008, then the "analysts" and half the people on this forum will complain that that's not the same phone, that's cheating, wah, wah, wah! There's no stopping a determined Apple-basher, and there's no point in trying. To me, any product that people all over the world are willing to pay a large premium for, even when that means they can't use a lot of its unique features, has to be called a success, and all of the obsessive numbers-analysis in the world can't turn it into a failure.
  • Reply 94 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatesbasher View Post

The first calendar year after introduction ends on June 29, 2008.

A calendar year, by definition, is from January 1 to December 31. You can look it up in your mac dictionary if you don't believe me.

calendar year

noun

see year (sense 2).

year |yi(ə)r| |jɪ(ə)r| |jɪə| |jəː|

noun

1 the time taken by a planet to make one revolution around the sun.

2 (also calendar year or civil year) the period of 365 days (or 366 days in leap years) starting from the first of January, used for reckoning time in ordinary affairs.
  • Reply 95 of 155
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Personally I think it is great that people are unlocking this phone and rejecting Apples excessive desire for money. People have a right to stand up to unbridled greed and lets face it if these numbers are accurate Apple is making way to much money off this phone.

Frankly I don't want to see Apple lower the price, I simply want to be able to hook up to the carrier of my choice at the lowest cost possible. This idea of paying Apple a monthly fee on something I supposedly bought out right is just stupid. It is one thing about the iPhone that just rubs me the wrong way.

Dave

Isn't the object of Apple to make money, who are you to decide how much money they can make..
  • Reply 96 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Nope, that's wrong, and you continue to spread this misinformation.

Jobs's forcast was "10 million IN 2008". Not by the end of 2008. IN.

If you're so sure he said 10 million by the end of 2008, find a direct quote from Jobs. You won't find it.

Actually, no.

Jobs said they hoped to get 1% market share "in 2008." That 1% market share was roughly equated to 10 million units. Market share is cumulative so the statement should rightly be understood as 10 million units "in use" by the close of 2008.

So logically, that would mean 10 million units "in use" "in 2008." The original 4 million are included.

Even if you take issue with the semantics, it's pretty clear that if Apple does in fact, hit the 1% market share mark and does have 10 million "in use" by the end of 2008, that they will take credit for hitting their target and no one will significantly argue with them on it. So why argue about it now?

10 million units in a year and a half of sales of a single model is outrageously good news IMO.
  • Reply 97 of 155
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatesbasher View Post

There are maybe 500,000,000 English speakers in the world. That means you're going to get 500,000,000 different perceptions of every sentence. So one more won't hurt!

To me, the reason they specified "calendar year" instead of "first year" is that the first year ended on December 31, 2007. The first calendar year after introduction ends on June 29, 2008. Steve Jobs says "10 Million in 2008. This is contradictory; live with it! Perfection is for the Gods!

All of this is totally irrelevant, anyway. If Apple introduces a 3G iPhone in June and that causes increased sales, and they sell 15,000,000 all told in the year 2008, then the "analysts" and half the people on this forum will complain that that's not the same phone, that's cheating, wah, wah, wah! There's no stopping a determined Apple-basher, and there's no point in trying. To me, any product that people all over the world are willing to pay a large premium for, even when that means they can't use a lot of its unique features, has to be called a success, and all of the obsessive numbers-analysis in the world can't turn it into a failure.

Well said, whatever Apple sell it won't be enough for them.
  • Reply 98 of 155
    Quote:

Dude. I'm removing myself from this thread and heading as we speak to the local zoo. At least one can be more entertained there by the incessant chattering of the chimps than some of meaningless and baseless arguments I see here.

At least chimpscan respond to stimuli instead of repeating nonesense like a drone.

One last time, Jobs is saying CLEARLY that Apple will have sold 10M iPhones and acchieved 1% marketshare by the end of the calendar year 2008. Why can't you comprehend that simple & clear fact? Its beyond me.

I gotta go, this sack of bananas is getting heavy.

An interesting anecdote:

"Market share" and "installed base" are NOT the same thing.

Installed base, in this case, would be the count of every cellular telephone that has ever been sold and is still on the air today.

Market share, on the other hand, is the breakdown of all new cellular telephones being sold over a given period of time.

The total number of cell phones sold in 2008 has been estimated at 1.25 billion units. That is 1.25 billion brand new cell phones being bought in the year 2008 alone, without counting any of the installed base of existing cell phones that were sold from the years infinity BC to 2007 AD, inclusive.

To have a market share of 1% in 2008, 1 out of every 100 of cell phones that were sold in the year 2008 must be iPhones.

[edit] -infinity BC would actually be in the future. oops. [/edit]
  • Reply 99 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Jobs said they hoped to get 1% market share "in 2008." That 1% market share was roughly equated to 10 million units. Market share is cumulative so the statement should rightly be understood as 10 million units "in use" by the close of 2008.

If the 10M were intended to be cumulative, then the total number would be as well. Meaning that the total number of phones in use would be multiple billions, and that 10M would be far less than one percent. It's pretty straightforward, Jobs said that about a billion phones sell in one year, and that if you sell 10M phones in one year, you have 1% of total sales. Apple hopes to do just that in 2008.
  • Reply 100 of 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Multi-Touch is not simply a better implementation of touch screens. It has had an entirely different research and development path dating back to 1982. Apple bought FingerWorks a company that was first to successfully develop and market multi-touch keyboards. Apple owns the Fingerworks intellectual property and the patents.

Sorry for the delay TenoBell. Thanks for the info. So, cool Apple owns the IPR.