Unlocking question

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi all,

New here and looking for some info as I am considering buying an Iphone in the near future..

I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for, so here goes:

I alternate homes between the US and the Netherlands and thus need to unlock my Iphone for it to work on both sides of the pond. Now I can buy a "new" (but not yet activated) Iphone, but how would I go about unlocking it? What I'd like to know is, can I just take it to somebody to unlock&jailbreak it for me and I can put my (Dutch) SIM in or is there more to it?

On another note, would it even be smart to dish out $350 for an 8 GB phone now as I read about yet another price drop to $299 for a new one?

All advice appreciated, I just want one...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There are several methods of unlocking the iPhone. After you do so I'd recommend buying Next SIM 2 from Spiderfoot, if you are indeed going to be alternating between countries like that. Just don't "stick" the chip to the SIM with anything, and when you are going to the other country you can cut that other SIM and slap it in, it will find that new network in under 10 seconds.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scenic77 View Post

Hi all,

New here and looking for some info as I am considering buying an Iphone in the near future..

I'm sure this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for, so here goes:

I alternate homes between the US and the Netherlands and thus need to unlock my Iphone for it to work on both sides of the pond. Now I can buy a "new" (but not yet activated) Iphone, but how would I go about unlocking it? What I'd like to know is, can I just take it to somebody to unlock&jailbreak it for me and I can put my (Dutch) SIM in or is there more to it?

On another note, would it even be smart to dish out $350 for an 8 GB phone now as I read about yet another price drop to $299 for a new one?

All advice appreciated, I just want one...

Just go to www.ziphone.org & download the software. It will open it for you in less than 5 minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks Guys!! I'll give that a try, should work fine then!!

Just visited ziphone though and it won't let me download but I'll try again later...

Cheers!!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scenic77 View Post

Thanks Guys!! I'll give that a try, should work fine then!!

Just visited ziphone though and it won't let me download but I'll try again later...

Cheers!!

If you still can not download, PM me and I can send you the file you need.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I tired iJailbreak, works like a charm. Thanks to the two teens who created it!