New MacBook Pro part numbers surface in inventory systems

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i don't care about blu-ray. this will probably be the last line of MBP with an optical drive. what do you need it for anyway? my last software update[s] ran over 700 mb and took about 10 minutes to download wirelessly. discs are this year's dodo birds. if you want tot accumulate a library of blu-ray movies go for it. they'll be right next to your vhs movies in two years.

the case is as close to perfect as any laptop has ever been. just make them a bit lighter and a bit thinner, thanks.

A lot of people use a Macbooks and Macbook Pros as their sole machine. Given that, it makes a lot of sense to keep the optical drive standard.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Quote:

if the prices associated w/ the models are accurate, there's no way these are new 13" macbooks, they MUST be pro's.

i don't care about blu-ray. this will probably be the last line of MBP with an optical drive. what do you need it for anyway? my last software update[s] ran over 700 mb and took about 10 minutes to download wirelessly. discs are this year's dodo birds. if you want tot accumulate a library of blu-ray movies go for it. they'll be right next to your vhs movies in two years.

the case is as close to perfect as any laptop has ever been. just make them a bit lighter and a bit thinner, thanks.

boy oh boy do i agree with you on Blu-ray. Its yesteryears tech for clowns.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    I totally agree...screw blu-ray just briong in the MBPs for frick's sake!
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mainemanx View Post

The new numbers have an MB prefix, as do the old Macbooks... while the old Macbook Pros have an MA prefix...

Ergo, the next announcements will not be Macbook Pros?

I am not sure you're right. I think the new prefix denotes the fact that the design is different. I have no basis in fact for saying this, but i do know that new MBPs are due very soon.

Given that Ai says the reported price points are the same as before - yes they are MBPs and not MBs.
  • Reply 45 of 82
    Here's my prediction, and with this and $1.99 you can buy a cup of coffee, so start heading for Starbuck's now!

The new MacBook Pro, when it comes out, will functionally be much the same as the current one. Faster processor, maybe; better video card, maybe; LED backlight, for sure.... It will continue to be in an aluminum case, which may very well be almost the same thickness in the middle, but will be much more curved in shape, like the MacBook Air. Don't mistake this for styling, pure and simple. It will, by virtue of its shape, be much more rigid and yet lighter. When VW brought out the Cabrio, they had to add a big X-brace to the platform because it didn't have enormous contribution to rigidity of the original Bug's egg-shape. This is the same evolution in reverse. I further predict that you will hear the same complaints about "style over substance." All of Apple's competitors seem to think the two are mutually incompatible.
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Macrumors are now backing the notion new Macbooks are coming out tomorrow, not MBPs.

Unless Apple are totally upgrading and re-designing the MBP this is getting to the point where they deserve us all to b*gger off and buy a Dell.. What a wait!
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatesbasher View Post

...so start heading for Starbuck's now!

i'd rather run Vista than go to Starfuckwits....!

• Reply 48 of 82
    I just bought a new MBP last week and wasn't really sure that there was going to be an upgrade and with all of these "rumors" I'm in a pickle...should I return my MBP and get the new one?

However, this is not my point here. I was logging into my account and saw this:

I hope this means that I can return my MBP and get a new one? What do you guys think

We'll see I guess. I wish the best to all and happy Mac'ing
  • Reply 49 of 82
    i heard the prices look like Pro prices because it's in canadian dollars. It's interesting their going with black keyboards on silver for the new macbooks, looks cool. probably a lot more "green" friendly, and quite a bit skinnier.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member
    Blu-Ray is still a waste for a notebook. Unless it has a 1080 tall screen, you're just throwing away pixels.

Not that I don't want a 1080 tall screen.

Bring me the 0.75" thick MBP.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prolific View Post

I just bought a new MBP last week and wasn't really sure that there was going to be an upgrade and with all of these "rumors" I'm in a pickle...should I return my MBP and get the new one?

I hope this means that I can return my MBP and get a new one? What do you guys think

I just logged into the store fine, checked order status, etc.

when the store goes down, it'll be obvious like always, either way new macbooks tomorrow.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    I recently had a replacement Black MacBook ordered as my iBook G4 went to Mac heaven...

The Apple Store Genius took numerous days to finally order the computer... which pissed me off... but it was covered by AppleCare and I paid just to upgrade a few things... so I am only moderately pissed... They finally ordered and charged my credit card on February 21st... with an estimated delivery of around... you guessed it... February 26th! *That's Tuesday*

This is a Black "MacBook" and not a MBP... I would love the current gen MBP processor in a Black MacBook... and doesn't that make the most sense? Or am I exciting myself for nothing?
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pine View Post

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/25/...os-on-tuesday/

There is the price discrepancy, but the Best Buy prices may just be place holders.

I'm just gonna leave it at that.

I personally would love to see a macbook update because i am not in the market to buy a MBP. Also i would laugh at everyone who bought one in November for the holidays, only to see it outdated after 3-4 months.

Although there would be many people pissed about MBP's without a true update since June (unless you count an upgrade hard drive in November) it may be worth the wait for those new intel chips that were leaked today http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...shut_down.html
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by westonalan View Post

I just logged into the store fine, checked order status, etc.

when the store goes down, it'll be obvious like always, either way new macbooks tomorrow.

Maybe it's my server connection or something, or maybe they're fixing my account because I keep getting the same message as I posted earlier above, however I'm sure that the little yellow sticky that says "We'll Be Back" will be there tomorrow morning. I hope it's a macbook update because if not I'm returning my MBP...
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:

discs are this year's dodo birds. if you want tot accumulate a library of blu-ray movies go for it. they'll be right next to your vhs movies in two years.

well said.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Blu-Ray is still a waste for a notebook. Unless it has a 1080 tall screen, you're just throwing away pixels.

Not that I don't want a 1080 tall screen.

Bring me the 0.75" thick MBP.

The 17" offers a 1920x1200 screen option.

The 15" doesn't, but Blu-Ray on that would still be far better than DVD quality.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prolific View Post

I get the same message for my software order and a different MacBook Air order!
  • Reply 58 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The 17" offers a 1920x1200 screen option.

The 15" doesn't, but Blu-Ray on that would still be far better than DVD quality.

true but blueray would look a lot better on even the 1280 x 800 screens.

Dvd is only 640 x 480 while Blueray is 1920 x 1080

The macbook screens come close but lack true widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustDoIt View Post

I get the same message for my software order and a different MacBook Air order!

jeez, i thought i was the only one. i was starting to panic!!!
  • Reply 60 of 82
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    There's no real room for a MacBook update without a Pro update.

The processor specs ? which most average consumers look at and judge a computer ? are already colliding with the high-end MB and the low-end MBP. Revving the MB above the low end of the MBP would be ridiculous.

There are five possible scenarios, the way I see it:

1) The MacBook update is very minor [hard drives, videocard, Superdrive standard]

2) They update both with MBPs available to order now, but shipping in a few weeks

3) They only update the MBPs

4) They do update the MBs and not the Pros and I'm wrong and Apple does something rather strange.

5) Nothing happens with any Apple portable tomorrow, and 12 new threads are started on AI about either the the design of the new laptops or when they might be released.

Either way, another Tuesday, another chance for Uncle Steve to break my heart.