External Hard Drive named one thing - but path (mount point) is another??

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does any one have any idea why, an external hard drive I've named "Archived Data", seems to be recognized by a number of different programs/utilities as "Archived Data 1" instead??

I checked Disk Utility, and clicking on the Volume name (which does show up in Disk Utility as "Archived Data") reveals that the 'Mount Point' for this Volume is: /Volumes/Archived Data 1 ?

I tried renaming this drive to something else completely, and sure enough, the Mount Point and the Finder name then become the same thing, but renaming it in the Finder back to "Archived Data" causes the Mount Point name to once again become "Archived Data 1"

This issue is wreaking havoc on synchronization tasks I've configured, breaking alias references I've setup, etc, etc...

Any suggestions as to how I can go about resolving this so that the Mount Point name and the visible Finder name are the same (as they should be, and as they used to b) would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    zoczoc Posts: 77member
    Maybe there is already an "/Volumes/Archived Data" folder on your drive, that was not erased correctly the last time the "Archived Data" volume was unmounted.

The solution in that case is to unmount the volume, delete the faultly folder(s) using the terminal app (you may have to do it using root privileges), and reboot.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    You can also view the Volumes folder in the Finder by going to the Go menu and selecting "Go to Folder...".

Enter "/Volumes/" and then you can delete a incorrect folder with admin password.

A folder can get incorrectly created here if an application tries to write to the drive without checking first if it's actually mounted. It then creates a folder instead.