Iphone from the USA

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I am looking at iPhones on ebay from the USA @ $599. This is very reasonable price as with the $ is half a ? euro. I was wondering if anyone has bought from these ebay dealers?

If Apple think that they can force me to buy iPhone with O2 in Ireland will not succeed. If I buy petrol from Shell station & they force me to use certain roads, that will be illegal. So why Apple is forcing us to do so. I like to buy top up credit when ever I want to.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Update:

I got mine working. It's a lovely phone. Well done to Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mywayornot View Post

Update:

I got mine working. It's a lovely phone. Well done to Apple.

Please explain - so you bought a US iPhone and put in a UK O2 sim? Was the O2 sim one specially made for the iPhone in the UK using the standard O2 iPhone talk and data tariffs?

I'm interested because I travel between the US and UK frequently and would be interested if I could swap sims at the airport when arrive to use a local plan.

I'd be even happier if O2 had a pay as you go plan for the iPhone (would just a talk plan work on it?), but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Please explain - so you bought a US iPhone and put in a UK O2 sim? Was the O2 sim one specially made for the iPhone in the UK using the standard O2 iPhone talk and data tariffs?

I'm interested because I travel between the US and UK frequently and would be interested if I could swap sims at the airport when arrive to use a local plan.

I'd be even happier if O2 had a pay as you go plan for the iPhone (would just a talk plan work on it?), but I'm not holding my breath.

I am in Ireland & using Vodafone pay as you go. Yes If I swap the sim to any other network carrier it will work. So if you buy from the US & unlock it it will work on an any other worldwide.

Here in Ireland, Apple made a deal with O2.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mywayornot View Post

I am looking at iPhones on ebay from the USA @ $599. This is very reasonable price as with the $ is half a ? euro. I was wondering if anyone has bought from these ebay dealers?

If Apple think that they can force me to buy iPhone with O2 in Ireland will not succeed. If I buy petrol from Shell station & they force me to use certain roads, that will be illegal. So why Apple is forcing us to do so. I like to buy top up credit when ever I want to.

Buy an 02 one and unlock it yourself rather than buying one from the US and actually the tarrifs for the iPhone are better value for money as opposed to pay as you go which I found over a while of calculating is a rip off.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IAmMacUser View Post

Buy an 02 one and unlock it yourself rather than buying one from the US and actually the tarrifs for the iPhone are better value for money as opposed to pay as you go which I found over a while of calculating is a rip off.

Pay as you go works for me as I might be in the UK for 3 weeks then away in the US for 5 months. I don't want to be paying a monthly tariff while I'm away for 5 months.

But can you use the email/web on another carrier too?