Nobody has yet whined about:

? not being 4.0+ GHz or better

? not having 1 Tb 15K rpm 1.8" drive

? no Blu-Ray burners

? doesn't fold up to fit in your shirt pocket

? doesn't unfold to a 30" screen

? still needs a battery and/or AC power supply

? costs more than USD $10

? doesn't include lifetime free update versions of all Apple, M$ and Adobe software

? no $10 million lifetime data loss insurance guarantee, with "no proof of purchase/no questions asked" payout

It's getting to where I don't know what's worse: Windows zealots who think their choices are golden, or Mac zealots who think their choices are crap.

The only thing worse is people who complain about complaints that haven't even been made.

• Reply 102 of 423
    --removed
  • Reply 103 of 423
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markoh View Post

Since the stock fell to $120 and they needed to find out more ways to squeeze every penny out of their customers. Did you really expect a $2800 laptop to include a remote?

For $2800 I expect that laptop to include a lot of stuff. Granted I'm not one to use a remote but the fact that Apple is unbundling its hardware, likely to increase profits even more, should be of concern to everyone.

It is one thing to pay a fair price for a machine it is another thing to add to a companies 18 billion in cash reserves. This is not to say there isn't value in Apples hardware and software but at times Apple seems to value their hardware more than is good for them in the market.

Now part of this might be that Apple sees a major recession this year and wants to keep profits high. After all it worked for them in the darker years. The problem is the dark times have passed and people have a good reason to buy. Well good if Apple were to watch its pricing closely. there is a fine line between being a good investment and a rip off. Sadly Apple doesn't have a good excuse for being a rip off any more.

Now I'm not negative on the hardware update as i actually think it is very good. What bothers me is the pricing. Apple really needs to look at its price points closely.

Dave
  • Reply 104 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pfcurtis View Post

Don't blame Apple for the price difference - Blame your Government! They impose the import duty and collect a huge Value Added Tax.

again, i wasn't complaining about the price, i was complaining about the LOWER specs posted online in the UK site compared with US ones bearing in mind that the UK version is also more expensive whether thats because of taxes is irrelevant, just means less value for money. and as i said before, i don't mind paying abit more aslong as i get the same specs.

again, the specs posted might possibly be a mistake on apples part.

oh, and another thing. i might be living in the UK but am an american. so, they're not my government.
  • Reply 105 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

For $2800 I expect that laptop to include a lot of stuff. Granted I'm not one to use a remote but the fact that Apple is unbundling its hardware, likely to increase profits even more, should be of concern to everyone.

It is one thing to pay a fair price for a machine it is another thing to add to a companies 18 billion in cash reserves. This is not to say there isn't value in Apples hardware and software but at times Apple seems to value their hardware more than is good for them in the market.

Now part of this might be that Apple sees a major recession this year and wants to keep profits high. After all it worked for them in the darker years. The problem is the dark times have passed and people have a good reason to buy. Well good if Apple where to watch its pricing closely. there is a fine line between being a good investment and a rip off. Sadly Apple doesn't have a good excuse for being a rip off any more.

Now I'm not negative on the hardware update as i actually think it is very good. What bothers me is the pricing. Apple really needs to look at its price points closely.

Dave

This is stupid.

There are so many unsed remotes out there after years of including it for most people that don't need it, just go on ebay and buy one for 5 bucks.

What a bunch of little girls.....
  • Reply 106 of 423
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    hmmmmm...

I try not to be a griper. Things are what they are.

But this leaves me a tad disappointed.

We were thinking about getting a laptop to complement our desktop.

So we don't need mega processing power or storage, and were thinking about a black MacBook. But without multi-touch, no-go. Bummer.

Not optimistic about iPhone upgrade either if the point of it ends up being just 3G. Total waste. IMHO, the next rev needs to be a more nano-ish iPhone, lower cost, to start cranking up market ownership.

For the past year, my AAPL has kept my portfolio afloat while the market tanks. Now the opposite is the case.

Maybe Apple has just decided not to waste good product on a suckey consumer landscape, and are waiting until things turn around a bit before releasing anything buzz-worthy.
  • Reply 107 of 423
    for those of you asking or waiting or speculating on a case redesign, take a close look at the image in this story:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/25/y...buys-database/

notice that the "out of stock date" for the brand spankin' new macbooks/MBP's is July 6th, 2008.

take what you want from this, but i'm assuming that today's speed bump will be superceded on that date.
  • Reply 108 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

If you install after market RAM does this effect your AppleCare/Warranty?

No it doesn't. RAM is the one thing Apple lets you install. They offer specific instructions on how to do so on their site for each model.
  • Reply 109 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fractured View Post

So many people seem to expect the MacBook to be a MacBook Pro. Hey, genius, you are buying the budget version of the machine. No, Apple doesn't need to add every bit of new tech into the budget machine. Besides, these things are EXTREMELY capable computers. Why must everybody act like a spoiled brat when they don't get everything for nothing? Grow up.

Just don't agree. Maybe on overall specs, but as far as the multi-touch trackpad, I'm with those who say that Apple has to make this ubiquitous as fast as possible, and make it totally associated with Mac.

Afraid this was a mistake on AAPL's part.
  • Reply 110 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

for those of you asking or waiting or speculating on a case redesign, take a close look at the image in this story:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/25/y...buys-database/

notice that the "out of stock date" for the brand spankin' new macbooks/MBP's is July 6th, 2008.

take what you want from this, but i'm assuming that today's speed bump will be superceded on that date.

No, it won't. That is Sunday.
  • Reply 111 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jivebaby View Post

Thank god I didn't auction my Macbook Pro. I knew there was going to be no case redesign but I did think the trackpad would be upgraded. Guess not.

The new trackpad has multitouch, which is rumored to require new hardware. Isn't that an upgrade?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlogan View Post

The $1099 Macbook still only has a Combo Optical Drive!? Come on Apple, I think Superdrives across the board have been due for quite some time.

Amen to that. I think the lack of multitouch on the MB is questionable, but sticking with a combo drive is just moronic.

Otherwise, these seem like good upgrades. With a new line of portable chips from intel (with a more radical chip redesign) expected in June, that's probably when we'll see a redesign.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbh0001 View Post

I'd also like to see the Mac Mini have at least the same logic board specs as the low end MacBook. There's no reason not to refresh the Mac Mini to keep it on par with the MacBook, unless you are trying to kill it off.

Another excellent point - apple has two decent lines of laptop, why does their desktop line have such a pathetically outdated turd on the low end? The mini doesn't even have the faster wifi yet.
  • Reply 112 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is the weakest argument I've read on on any forum. I buy a new Mac about every 6 months. I have more remotes than I know what to do with. Except for the AppleTV they go completely unused. It's about time Apple stopped giving away with pointless accessory.

Here Here! (or is it 'hear hear'?)

Actually, I wish that manufacturers would simply give buyers an option to simply download codes for their remotes and make them ALL optional. I have a drawer full.
  • Reply 113 of 423
    Too many Debbie Downers in the forums these days.

Count me as one of those who are very pleased with today's updates. A faster computer with more storage space and a neat new feature (the multi-touch trackpad) are good reasons to upgrade your computer IF you were already in the market to do so. Not every upgraded computer Apple offers can or need be mind blowing. Evolution of any product is both normal and acceptable. I, for one, believe that the MBP form factor still looks great and if it ain't broke, don't don't fix it. Are there features or options I would have liked added to the MBP? Sure, but it doesn't lessen the value of the refresh offered today. This is a very good product that Apple is offering to those who are interested.

And to anyone who is complaining about not receiving a free remote, I would love to hear you state how often you actually used your old remote and offer a compelling argument on how you cannot functionally use your new computer without it. Feel free to also identify any other laptops on the market that offer you a free remote control with their purchase.
  • Reply 114 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No, it won't. That is Sunday.

yeah, the IN STOCK DATE is Sunday.

OUT OF STOCK date is in July.

READ, then reply. do not skip step 1.
  • Reply 115 of 423
    Quite nice update, except for some little things you guys mentioned.

But why didn't they add the multi-touch trackpad to the MB?

By the way, hi. First post here
  • Reply 116 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

If you install after market RAM does this effect your AppleCare/Warranty?

If you do everything perfectly, the answer us, "No," as tabled at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946 and get the facts.

But be careful as it also states, "However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs.
  • Reply 117 of 423
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

yeah, the IN STOCK DATE is Sunday.

OUT OF STOCK date is in July.

READ, then reply. do not skip step 1.

You wrote, "notice that the "out of stock date" for the brand spankin' new macbooks/MBP's is July 6th, 2008." I replied, that is a Sunday.

Out of Stock ? 06-JUL-2008 ? Sunday

I'm note sure where you posted about an in stock date.

The idea that Best Buy has an idea when Apple will start selling it's new MacBook revision is obsurd when Apple currently doesn't know that info because Intel isn't exactly sure when the chip production will be ready for Apple's requirements.
  • Reply 118 of 423
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

If you do everything perfectly, the answer us, "No," as tabled athttp://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946 and get the facts.

But be careful as it also states, "However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs.

Another question I forgot to ask

Is it worth purchasing the Apple Care Plan. Would you recommend spending the extra $250?
  • Reply 119 of 423
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

This is stupid.

There are so many unsed remotes out there after years of including it for most people that don't need it, just go on ebay and buy one for 5 bucks.

If you had the ability to read for content you would have seen that I specifically said that I had no need for a remote that I don't use one.

Quote:

What a bunch of little girls.....

You really need to get a grip. Apple is effectively lowering the cost of the MBP by this deletion and not passing the savings on to the consumer. Considering the cash on hand that is questionable. Maybe in your case it is the lack of balls to screw up the strength to question Apples pricing.

With the current economic climate even a modest attempt by Apple to adjust their price to consumers would be taken positively. As can be seen in this thread the more profits for Apple attitude the company has isn't being taken to positively.

Dave
  • Reply 120 of 423
    MBP

What I Like:

4GB of Ram is now only $400 for people dumb enough to buy it from Apple instead of NewEgg

The graphics cards are improved.

The upgrade to a 7200rpm drive is now only 50 bucks instead of 150 it was previously.

New Multi-Touch Trackpad

What I Don't Like:

The upgraded MBP 15" doesn't come with the 2.6GHz as standard. Now it's a 250 buck upgrade for 100 Mhz?

No magnetic latch

Lack of some more usb drives on 15"

No LED 15" screens [Edit: My bad, they are ]

The Apple Remote is now 19 bucks I'll just use my old one