Any idea if new Mac Pro's coming?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm making the complete switch from PC to mac. I started out by buying an iPhone and love it. Then I bought a Mac Book, of course that was a few weeks before the Air came out and I think I would have bought that instead.

Finally I want to replace my desktop, which is my workhorse. I am ready to do it, but with the release of the Macbook Air and the release of many refreshes (ie. Macbook Pro) I'm a little gun shy about purchasing a fully loaded Mac Pro to only have Apple release something new in 3 or 4 weeks. So I guess the basic question is, any rumblings about the Mac Pro?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Apple updated the Mac Pro 7 weeks ago. Now is a great time to buy.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Thank you! I only found out about this site today. Didn't see anything on it about the Mac Pros.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Apple updated the Mac Pro 7 weeks ago. Now is a great time to buy.

• Reply 3 of 11
    No offense, but the Apple Store would let you know when you look at the Mac Pro that it's current. There are some gripes about the variety of video card options but the beast has the latest Xeon processors.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waxxel View Post

Finally I want to replace my desktop... I'm a little gun shy about purchasing a fully loaded Mac Pro to only have Apple release something new in 3 or 4 weeks. So I guess the basic question is, any rumblings about the Mac Pro?

As was pointed out, the Mac Pro was just refreshed. I have one of the dual quad-core 3.2GHz beasts w/two 1TB hard drives, SuperDrive, 4GB of RAM, and the NVIDIA 8800GT video card... an awesomely fast machine. Highly recommend it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I imagine the Mac Pro will next be updated in June (The WWDC is generally a Pro venue.)

My guesses for inclusion on the next rev are a Blu-Ray player and Firewire 3200.

For now, the Mac Pro is a great buy.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I would think the earliest we might see a Mac Pro would be October.

Like mentioned here Apple just update it and I hope the next revision will sport new enclosures and new displays coming alongside.

WWDC seems too close for MacPro. Plus, Apple usually take longer to update the professional line of desktops.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    What's finally impressing me with Nvidia is they now have CUDA for OS X.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html#macos

Along-side Linux and Windows they are investing finally with OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

WWDC seems too close for MacPro. Plus, Apple usually take longer to update the professional line of desktops.

I'm assuming the next rev will simply bump the processor, and maybe add Blu-Ray and Firewire 3200.

That's possible for WWDC. I don't think we'll see any more than that till MWSF.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    maybe a video card bump as well also they can come out with a firewire 3200 pci-e card
  • Reply 10 of 11
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I'm assuming the next rev will simply bump the processor, and maybe add Blu-Ray and Firewire 3200.

That's possible for WWDC. I don't think we'll see any more than that till MWSF.

You know I'm thinking WWDC will probably have 3G iPhone now if it doesn't come sooner. Probably a mild MP bump maybe with the things you said, and hopefully new Displays. But, the thing about displays is the Mac Pro probably has to have a case re-design coming here soon, and would Apple bother to design a display that wasn't going to be matched with a new design? It makes me wonder if Apple isn't going to have a brand new design by WWDC. Based on the overly outdated displays alone it's hard to imagine anything but a new Mac Pro.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

maybe a video card bump as well also they can come out with a firewire 3200 pci-e card

Apple doesn't do upgrade cards. Jobs wants you to buy a new computer.