Apple releases iPhone Software Version 1.1.4

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released software version 1.1.4 for both the iPhone and iPod touch alongside a set of release notes comprised of only two words: "Bug fixes."

Users can download and apply the update by docking their iPhone or iPod touch, selecting it under the device list in iTunes, and then hitting the "Check for update" button.

AppleInsider readers are discussing the 162MB update in this forum thread.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 116
    Looks like just a security/stability release.

Surely an SDK would come with much bigger fanfare and probably a full point release.
  • Reply 2 of 116
    hackers beware! 1.1.4 is out!!!
  • Reply 3 of 116
    ...pretty large patch for security update? Update went successfully with no noticeable changes.
  • Reply 4 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appletweak View Post

...pretty large patch for security update? Update went successfully with no noticeable changes.

All updates are this size...the update is replacing your entire OS...so a size of 163mb isn't anything noteworthy since the last update was the exact same size...hence it saying it supersedes all previous versions (replaces all previous versions.)
  • Reply 5 of 116
    "... bug fixes, otherwise known as breaking the jailbreaks."
  • Reply 6 of 116
    Quote:

alongside a set of release notes comprised of only two words: "Bug fixes."

Thank god for that, The bugs introduced in 1.1.3 were really starting to annoy me badly.
  • Reply 7 of 116
    prep for SDK release?
  • Reply 8 of 116
    Maybe it has to do with Starbucks doing it's training tonight when they're all closing at 5:30?
  • Reply 9 of 116
    mmm... clicking "next" didn't do anything

Roll on the SDK, please!
  • Reply 10 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

Maybe it has to do with Starbucks doing it's training tonight when they're all closing at 5:30?

I think if they were closing to kick of some kewl new iPod feature that involved a software update they would have had us all ready to use it bright and early tomorrow morning by telling us today.
  • Reply 11 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by userblah View Post

All updates are this size...the update is replacing your entire OS...so a size of 163mb isn't anything noteworthy since the last update was the exact same size...hence it saying it supersedes all previous versions (replaces all previous versions.)

I second that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

Any news on what device they are using for the cached songs. Seems to me a Time Capsule would be a perfect choice for this.
  • Reply 12 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

ZiPhone works with the new upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

Thank god for that, The bugs introduced in 1.1.3 were really starting to annoy me badly.

I've never had any problems with my iPhone until 1.1.3. Now I see a lot of performance issues. Hope this addresses them.
  • Reply 14 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MusLtngBlue View Post

How would this break Jailbreaks? People who are already jailbroken wouldn't have a desire to upgrade if there aren't any new features. You have to consciously choose to download and install the update; it's not done over the cell towers.
  • Reply 15 of 116
    Given the timing of the release, my bet is on this release containing the infrastructure to support SDK-based apps.

Time will tell...

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 16 of 116
    Yeah this shows the dumbing-down of our society doesn't it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How would this break Jailbreaks? People who are already jailbroken wouldn't have a desire to upgrade if there aren't any new features. You have to consciously choose to download and install the update; it's not done over the cell towers.

• Reply 17 of 116
    Like it or not, Apple continues updates/upgrades to iPhone software because the $$ it receives from the subscriber revenue - and not hardware sales - allows (motivates??) Apple to continue improving its product.

So if their updates causes the freeloaders, hackers, slackers, and whiners more headaches and complaints as to why they can't partake in a support feature for free - and without problems - as opposed to only those that actually pay for the privilege... it sucks to be you.

I dont' think the SDK bandwagon will make it any easier in certain aspects. If Apple opens it up more to development similar to how it was with Palm back when, more power to them and I would be first to sign up as I see nothing but a positive impact by that move.

But the same mantra will still apply. Don't bitch about wanting something for free that everyone else has to pay for. Apple doesn't continue the R&D for the iPhone simply because it's cool. They are no different than any other company that needs to make money.

I've been an Cingular->AT&T customer for 10+ years. Are they perfect?? Far from it. All the other providers are not perfect either. But I've been relatively happy with them. Is it right that AT&T is the exclusive provider? History will be the judge of that. Do I bitch about not having a Lamborghini as an everyday car? No. So if the iPhone is not available for whatever reason in your town/state/country/planet/whatever, that is just life. If you can hack it up enough to get it to work, kudos to you. But don't expect an easy ride from Apple. You own the hardware, but not the OS software. Get over it.

Let the flamebaiting begin (again).
  • Reply 18 of 116
    I wouldn't be surprised if the application key has changed.
  • Reply 19 of 116
    still can't forward sms messages
  • Reply 20 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djpadz View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the application key has changed.

Good point! That is something that should be looked into.