Ideas for Future Macs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    The MacBook Nano, you say? Cool idea. Unfortunately, my scruples force me to be skeptical.

If it's just a big touchscreen computer, it's really only a much bigger iPhone with a disk drive. It probably comes with the usual ports (you know, USB, FireWire, DVI, audio output and input), but that'll drive up the price. The iPhone is going to be way cheaper.

Besides, there's an alternative which isn't quite so iPhone-ish (although it is rather expensive): the Axiotron ModBook. As far as I can tell, it's the only tablet Mac in existence (and it comes with all the standard MacBook features — excepting those of the keyboard and trackpad, of course). Check it out...here.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Great minds, eh? i think the good money is on it. I think this plays partly into why tablets don't do well. Windows (and OSX) were designed with a point and click mouse based interface, not touch. So anything that is going to be touch based has to be designed around that...like the iPhone OS.

Yep

Quote:

I think somewhere a little in the middle actually. Not really full on Mac OSX but really, I would want something more powerful(not sure if that is the right term) here. I think it will need to be capable of much more than an iPod/iPhone.

Maybe you don't realize it but just about the full power of OS/X is possible on the Touch right now. It is a matter of what Apple has left out that would add "power" to the platform. Mobile OS is very much a stripped down version of OS/X, so they could easily add back stuff that is current.

One way to look at this is to evaluate the jail broken phones and the software that has been installed/ported to these devices. You can get much of the BSD command line world very easily. Apple can do the same plus add the Apple specific stuff as they see fit.

Mobile OS is very powerful in it own right and can be easily adapted for more intensive use!

I qualified my first statement above with the phrase "just about" because while the platform is powerful it is also limited in RAM and other capacities. A hand held computer is still at a disadvantage relative to the desk top world. Well todays desktop, I'm willing to bet that the Touch is a better computer than my old MacPlus of years gone by.

Quote:

That is pretty much exactly what I am expecting with this tablet, the Air...er...ports.

By their nature and usage a tablet should be fine with a small complement of I/O. Frankly one of the big reasons for the USB port, in my mind, is to read what ever is the latest flash card or connect to a camera.

Quote:

Agreed. I also want it bigger. I know the rumor here is that the "Newton" tablet will be 5.25 or so but I want at least 7".

To big! Think about how it would fit into one hand.

Quote:

I don't care if it is pocketable because I carry around a messenger bag and most people carry around SOME sort of bag already, be it a briefcase, a laptop bag, a purse, ect.

That doesn't matter. That is how it is carried when not in use. What does matter is how comfortable it is to use when in the hands.

Quote:

Something small enough to fit into one of those is all Apple needs. If you want something REALLY pocketable, we have the iPod touch already. But if we want something more powerful get this...err...iPod air? :-P

Well Touch has its problems for this Niche. Nothing a little technology can't take care of though. I also think you are wrong in that a slightly larger Touch isn't practical. The motivation for the slightly larger device is to better deliver video content and the internet, and still be a pocketable device. Apple would actually be playing catch up in this size range

Quote:

My estimates put this at around 10.5", twice as big as the rumored "Newton"

I'm sure there is a small market for such a thing but it is tiny compared to the iPod market. In any event I do believe that Apple needs a family of devices, so this might be an acceptable size.

What Apple really needs to do is to add Digital TV to that size device.

Quote:

EDIT 2-OK, so after a little more digging, this seems to be the originator, Stuff Magazine. Check out the very sparse online article.

Stuff!

Might have know.

dave
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Ok, I've been reading and a thought started to develop. So here it goes...

iPhone or iTablet, whichever, with the new Multitouch patent for keyboard and gestures. Apple TV and Mac Mini type combination that connects to either HDTVs or Monitor. Now add the ability to seamlessly transfer media, data, profiles, work etc. from iPhone to Mini/Apple TV. So that you can be working on your mac using the tablet or iPhone as the input device then get up and go to lunch taking your tablet/iPhone and continue working. The kicker would be to have the ability to walk up to a strange computer (kiosk or something) and have your profile and access to all your data by having your iTablet with you.

Maybe this is not a new idea but the concept is very interesting to me.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roostajoe View Post

Besides, there's an alternative which isn't quite so iPhone-ish (although it is rather expensive): the Axiotron ModBook. As far as I can tell, it's the only tablet Mac in existence (and it comes with all the standard MacBook features ? excepting those of the keyboard and trackpad, of course). Check it out...here.

Actually, the ModBook is turning out to be harder to get than an iTablet or MacTouch (whatever we're calling it).... thought the company claims to be shipping only a HANDFUL of people have actually received one. It's certainly not much of an alternative if you have to wait a year to get it (and yes, there's people who ordered a year ago and STILL don't have their ModBooks).
  • Reply 45 of 76
    modbooks seem pretty sweet. :0) how much are they?
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogzilla View Post

Or maybe MacBook Nano?

I kinda hope that "MacBook" continues to refer to a notebook form factor, rather than a tablet (I'd like a tablet - just use a different name).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

11" MacBook Air.

If I was Steve Jobs For A Day...

1)

I'd be making a 9" iBook Air

Based on the iPhone technologies but with a keyboard, running iPhone OS plus iWork, and borrowing from the look of a MacBook Air but much smaller.

2) It's time to sell terminal devices into the house. A 17" widescreen terminal that looks like it's running full OSX, but is actually just connected to a 'real' Mac in the house which is running OSX. Very cheap too - mostly the cost of a graphics card and screen.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

1)

I'd be making a 9" iBook Air

Based on the iPhone technologies but with a keyboard, running iPhone OS plus iWork, and borrowing from the look of a MacBook Air but much smaller.

+ Full QuickLook + iLife (including GarageBand)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

2) It's time to sell terminal devices into the house. A 17" widescreen terminal that looks like it's running full OSX, but is actually just connected to a 'real' Mac in the house which is running OSX. Very cheap too - mostly the cost of a graphics card and screen.

iMac Air? I'm all for it.

* Dual-Quad HomeServer (including 8 port router and time capsule drives).

* XGrid for intelligent distributed processing

* up to 17" display (up to 1920*1200)
    • with just enough processing power (diamondville cpu SC or DC),

• internal storage (80GB 1.8" HDD of the MB Air), intelligent storage (most/last used files local, others on the server...)

• 0.76" thin

• integrated graphics.

• Rotating display (landscape for movies, portrait for certain works),

• bluetooth keyboard with integrated MT trackpad (left or right).

• Very few ports like the MB Air.

• from $499 to $999.

• Reply 48 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iRabbit View Post

Actually, the ModBook is turning out to be harder to get than an iTablet or MacTouch (whatever we're calling it).... thought the company claims to be shipping only a HANDFUL of people have actually received one. It's certainly not much of an alternative if you have to wait a year to get it (and yes, there's people who ordered a year ago and STILL don't have their ModBooks).

Interesting. Perhaps they're a bit harder to make?

Well, all I know is, I'd be seriously annoyed if my innovative computer didn't arrive within a year of my order. If it's a year as you say, Axiotron's clientele is probably suffering. (Scratch that..."definitely" not "probably")
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

iMac Air? I'm all for it.

* Dual-Quad HomeServer (including 8 port router and time capsule drives).

* XGrid for intelligent distributed processing

* up to 17" display (up to 1920*1200)
    • with just enough processing power (diamondville cpu SC or DC),

• internal storage (80GB 1.8" HDD of the MB Air), intelligent storage (most/last used files local, others on the server...)

• 0.76" thin

• integrated graphics.

• Rotating display (landscape for movies, portrait for certain works),

• bluetooth keyboard with integrated MT trackpad (left or right).

• Very few ports like the MB Air.

• from $499 to $999.

Um... Why, exactly, would you want "very few ports"? I usually like to keep both a hub and an extension cord in my MacBook's USB ports (my flash drive won't fit anywhere else — it's really bulky — so I use the cord), sometimes an Ethernet cable between it and my other computer, and even a FireWire device. Also, the audio in port is useful.

Apart from this minor issue, it sounds great. The iMac Air? Sure. Just keep the ports in it.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Another minor gripe of mine. The MacBook Air is a great idea for travelers (no extraneous hardware to contend with), but they might well be turned off by the price. It's supposed to be more eco-friendly (I read this somewhere). That's good. Everything about it is great (as long as you don't want to be doing any serious computing), but not for professionals. Go with the MacBook if you want good power and you're on a small budget.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    so the updates weren't up to everyone's standards. that's to be expected- apple will definitely do a full redesign (possibly add like a 13.3 to the MBP line?) this summer with the release of "centrino 2" aka Montevina. This will be nice as I also see the new 9600 nvidia card to be notebook- ready. Keeping with the same price points, I would expect to see hi-res option for the 15", possibly a different color case (black ano. aluminium anyone?) and the macbook/air style keyboard. With all this talk, I got to day dreaming:

My Macbook Pro... ha

2.6 ghz 8mb cache, 1000mhz FSB (centrino 2 spec?)

2(+)gb DDR3 RAM (yeah maybe not this summer....)

512mb 9600m gt

1680 x 1050 LED (OLED by say Q3 2009)

200gb 7200rpm HDD

Backlit MB keyboard

USB 3.0 (again, not by this summer... see Q1 or Q2 2009)

802.11n/ bluetooth 2.1

more power to the webcam (5 megapixel? they have in it cell phones right now....)

slimmer case- 0.75-0.85".. not necessarily tapered

so that's just me, and I'm probably dreaming, but it'd be nice, right?
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:

Interesting. Perhaps they're a bit harder to make?

Well, all I know is, I'd be seriously annoyed if my innovative computer didn't arrive within a year of my order. If it's a year as you say, Axiotron's clientele is probably suffering. (Scratch that..."definitely" not "probably")

Take a look at www.ModBookForum.com and you'll see just how much they're suffering. A member there waited 398 days to get his ModBook and ended up with a defective one after all that. He's a guy I feel sorry for!
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iRabbit View Post

Take a look at www.ModBookForum.com and you'll see just how much they're suffering. A member there waited 398 days to get his ModBook and ended up with a defective one after all that. He's a guy I feel sorry for!

I'm kind of at a loss for words. If Axiotron goes on like this, it's going to lose its customers.

P.S. Yeah... Where, exactly, is this person? It would have been slightly easier to find the post or thread or whatever if you'd supplied a link directly to it, instead of giving me a link to the site and expecting me to find what you're talking about.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peterjeter26 View Post

i think they should make a small mac just like the one sony has extreme portability and good graphics slide up keyboard maybe or make the screen touch.

I garuntee you apple will have a touch screen comming to a mac near you
  • Reply 55 of 76
    A touchscreen computer would be a good idea. Now, before any of you get on my case about this, I just want to say: it's not like anyone's forcing you to buy it (if, indeed, Apple makes one).

Here's some possible specs and features:
    • 2.4 gHz Intel Core 2 Duo

• 2GB RAM

• 160GB HD

• 1280 x 800 glass display (touch)

• Switch to toggle between touch mode and mouse mode

• 16MB shared L2 cache

• 256MB VRAM

• Intel GMA X3100 or Nvidia graphics card

• Gigabit ethernet

• 4 USB

• 2 FireWire 400, 1 FireWire 800

• Audio in, out

• DVI port

• iSight above display

• 16x SuperDrive in the base

More on the display. It's entirely glass and transparent. Instead of brightness, the display intensity buttons on the keyboard change the opacity.

Oh, and the case is made of chrome. It basically looks like a thin iMac with all the big hardware in the base.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

A touchscreen computer would be a good idea. Now, before any of you get on my case about this, I just want to say: it's not like anyone's forcing you to buy it (if, indeed, Apple makes one).

Here's some possible specs and features:
    • 2.4 gHz Intel Core 2 Duo

• 2GB RAM

• 160GB HD

• 1280 x 800 glass display (touch)

• Switch to toggle between touch mode and mouse mode

• 16MB shared L2 cache

• 256MB VRAM

• Intel GMA X3100 or Nvidia graphics card

• Gigabit ethernet

• 4 USB

• 2 FireWire 400, 1 FireWire 800

• Audio in, out

• DVI port

• iSight above display

• 16x SuperDrive in the base

More on the display. It's entirely glass and transparent. Instead of brightness, the display intensity buttons on the keyboard change the opacity.

Oh, and the case is made of chrome. It basically looks like a thin iMac with all the big hardware in the base.

Well, I don't think it's coming at all, but if it does, why would it have more desktop features than a Mac-Book Air? If anything, it's more of a carry around computer than an MBA.

So, take away all but two USB, all Firewire, the Ethernet port, the audio ports and the superdrive.

And while you're at it, get rid of the switch between mouse and touch. My 2-year-old MBP can handle very well switching off the trackpad when you connect a mouse.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synp View Post

Well, I don't think it's coming at all, but if it does, why would it have more desktop features than a Mac-Book Air? If anything, it's more of a carry around computer than an MBA.

So, take away all but two USB, all Firewire, the Ethernet port, the audio ports and the superdrive.

And while you're at it, get rid of the switch between mouse and touch. My 2-year-old MBP can handle very well switching off the trackpad when you connect a mouse.

Okay. Let's actually think about this. Who ever said it was going to be a laptop? Did I? I don't think so.

I had more of an iMac-type computer in mind.

And another thing: what if someone wants to use the touchscreen while the mouse is connected? Well, they certainly aren't going to want to disconnect their mouse, use the touchscreen, and then plug the mouse back in, are they? It's much less time-consuming if there's a switch.

P.S. Before you start writing angry posts, why don't you think first?

P.P.S. If I had been talking about a laptop, you would have had a good point. Guess what? In the original post, I even went so far as to say it looked like a thin iMac. Why did you even go off on this "Why should it have more desktop features than a Mac-Book Air?" tangent? I was talking about a desktop, not a laptop!

P.P.P.S. It's "MacBook Air", not "Mac-Book Air". Look it up. "MBA" is a good abbreviation, though. So's "MBP".
  • Reply 58 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by synp View Post

You have to keep Ethernet dropping that is going to far also keep firewire.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Uh... What?
  • Reply 60 of 76
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I have ton's of ideas too, but would love to see some drawings, concepts here.

Now remember, if it's here first, and Apple makes it - you'll be able to sue them for your idea, and share of the market

Skip