Multiple File Naming

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was wondering, I run a video business, and I have multiple files (30 or more) that I need to name. quickly. Is there some kind of program or script that i can pre-program the names into and it will name the files without me having to go through and manually name each individual file? Something that will follow the order that they are already arranged on the computer and something that i can like pre-program like the night before an event and then once i get the files imported i could just run the program or script and it would do all the work. I would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I use this software for batch renaming:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14404

Just drag a load of files onto it and choose the rename options you want and it will show you a preview of what the names will come out like before you do it
  • Reply 2 of 3
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Automator will do this for you as well if you set up a re-naming workflow. You can then save it as a contextual menu, AppleScript or Folder Action. You can do stuff like sequential naming, etc.

There are existing AppleScripts which will also batch re-name files/folders. If you enable the AppleScript menu item, go into the "Finder" section you'll find it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

Automator will do this for you as well if you set up a re-naming workflow. You can then save it as a contextual menu, AppleScript or Folder Action. You can do stuff like sequential naming, etc.

There are existing AppleScripts which will also batch re-name files/folders. If you enable the AppleScript menu item, go into the "Finder" section you'll find it.

I', still trying to figure out how to use Automator. Is there some kind of tutorial somewhere?