Macs seen as Apple's only remaining growth driver

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    Today, Apple announced it is the #2 music seller in the U.S.

It launched Multi-Touch based MacBook Pros, which, IMHO, is a revolution as big as the mouse or the iPhone.

It launched the 2GB iPod Shuffle for less money than the 1GB previously went for.

Apple TV 2.0 is getting amazing reviews.

The iPhone business is only 3% of Apple's bottom line, even if they didn't sell any iPhone its bottom line would still be just 3% hurt.

NAND prices have dropped up to 75%, do these people mention it and how it's going to dramatically increase Apple's ? Nope.

Apple, because of slowing and retracting economy and also because of changing technology, is moving from old style iPods to Touch interface models and calling them handheld computer platform. Because it is already changing, it is decreasing production on existing models. Apple is probably also manipulating its purchasing memory prices by lowering purchases for the moment and the simple fact that Apple is doing that is making prices drop more. That is, if those 'reports' are true since they are mostly vapourware and articles from very dubious sources.

Interest in smartphones is exploding now, according to a survey, because the iPhone hoopla woke people up regarding such devices.

Apple will soon announce a new Mobile Internet Device equipped with 3G cellphone technology and Wi-Fi and BT so that it is always online gadget. It will define the new MID market and everyone will rush to buy one.

Apple is launching a huge Apple Store in downtown Beijing in August in a huge extremely hyped new shopping mall along with most of the world's status brands. Apple will probably then announce negotiations with a major Chinese cell network or start one soon after at the request of them.

Apple will be announcing a 3G iPhone and most probably a stripped down cheaper model - or reset the current models price - by mid year, maybe in time for the Beijing Store launch and announce more EU countries jumping in on the iPhone. Millions have been waiting for the 3G model, when it comes out they'll buy it in droves.

Because of all this, the iPhone will surpass the 10 million goal by a huge amount, easily. And I didn't mention Japan which is also another huge market that will explode after a 3G 2nd generation iPhone.

Anal-ysts are either simply incompetent or preying for the negative news - mostly creating them out of thin air from hear say or 'another anal-yst said' - because they make money on AAPL falling as well as they make money on AAPL bouncing back. "With the constant flow of weak iPod and iPhone production estimates out of Taiwan over the past four weeks" is an excellent example of nothing valid to state and an Anal-yst covering his ass.

I wonder if their employer will keep them at their jobs once all those reports become ridiculed by factual events and products. They'll probably come out saying 'we said that it would happen all along'...

I mean, there was one even making forecasts for 2012, saying that the iPhone will be 25% of Apple's bottom line. Well, if it were so - will there be such a thing as the iPhone in 2012? - then Apple would have become a huge $600+ company and that would be a great thing. And I expect it to be, the way Apple is playing the game, I expect APPL to be the next GOOG very soon, no doubt about it.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Take it for what its worth - the most recent quarter the iPhone was the fastest growing smart phone - smart phones market will grow at a rate of 60% plus - This guy feels that Iphone will be stagnant or decrease?http://forums.appleinsider.com/image.../1confused.gif Has he ever used one? http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...1oyvey.gifDoes he know that ATT credited growth last quarter to the IPhone exclusive? http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1eek.gif I have an Iphone - when 3g hit I will be buying two additional ones -By the way I have heard many people say that ATT sucks compared to VZ. I would agree that at one time that was true. I just traveled the east coast with an Att Iphone nd a VZ Moto - the Iphone service was as good or better in all areas- and like internet or email -once you have used an Iphone you will not go without one - much better overall device than the Ipod ever was. If Iphone sales trail of it will be a huge marketing blunder by Apple and have nothing to do with the device. I personally see Bachmean looking like a fool in twelve monthshttp://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/lol.gif Apple at 185 and 3g and SDK will give the Iphone continued rapid growth rate.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Once Apple's iPhone is actually sold in China, not just snuck in, with native Chinese apps running on it... the potential is enormous.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    BTW, what kind of F** up comparison is that - iPhone against crackberry and Samsung windows mobile?

The iPhone - which is only 3% of Apple's business - will only be comparable to smartphones that have only been announced but will take ages to be in stores:

- Sony's XPeria1

- Garmin's Nuviphone (and that is after we see what it can do, right now it's just a piece of plastic in a pic aka mock-up)

- ?

For true & fair comparison one has to include applications, it's got to be an OS that can carry 3rd party apps. WM6 can but that is just laughable as an OS, it is a mess. I know that for a fact, I have to do with one and I just can't stand it, I totally underuse it, it's disgusting, it's like Windows 3.1! HTC - and the XPeria is made by HTC - has been trying to rework WM6's GUI but it's still very poor...
  • Reply 25 of 66
    It is clear that these analysts just don't understand Apple and the iphone and its accounting method. Here are some important facts:

-Iphone earnings are spread out over two years, the amount realized from this account will grow

every quarter dramatically even if Apple does nothing to grow sales like 3g or new models or more competative pricing..you have to know math to realize this. Apple grew this unrealized income(meaning they will recognize these earnings later<over 2 years>) dramatically in the past few quarters to where its now over $1 Billion.

-Apple very likely makes more than $200 per phone contract like this analyst says..most say it is twice that

-When Apple sells a phone that is unlocked, they are still making money..similar to selling an ipod..similar margins and growing now with falling component prices. That's why Apple is not discouraging unlocked phones more by offering activation rebates..because they don't want to risk losing profitable sales to people that they would not otherwise have.

-Apple TV, while still not perfect, should be a big grower of revenues THIS year..mine has been shipped and should be here today or tomorrow.

-Iphone satisfaction is through the roof, much higher than any other phone...why would it not grow especially when Apple has sky high profit margins on the product and room to elinimate the biggest concern of it(besides 3g which will be taken care of shortly)..price? Apple, unlike any other company, understands pricing to maximize sales and earnings.

-For what its worth, my experience with att has been great..great coverage, and I travel all the time, and no surprises on my phone bill.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    2007 was the year of the iPhone. 2008 will be the year of the Mac.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    I'm thinking that maybe the analysts don't like Apple's diversification. They used to be a computer company and the Mac was their flagship. One thing is clear, it's going to take more than an ultra thin notebook to regain the rock solid confidence these companies once had for Apple. I'm talking something as big as the introduction of OS X. Leopard was a nice upgrade to Tiger, but Apple needs to funnel some of the profits from their other products into developing something really stellar for their operating system next time 'round.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I've been saying this for months now... look to pick up Apple stock at $86 in September.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Even the throttled Netflix service should get you a lot more movies for the money than Apple.

Sure, if you want to wait a few weeks for them. Netflix is limited by physical supply. The iTMS will never put you on a wait list. You can watch a movie when you want to watch it, not when other people are finished with it.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Now more than ever that bloomin SDK for the iphone/ipod touch better impress the hell out of us. It had better impress the hell out of the industry and buying public as a whole. Its success is crucial for the future of the company.....imo.

An SDK is only a development framework. Its not particularly sexy outside of how well it empowers developers to make apps. The SDK will use established tools such as Xcode and webkit with instructions for using iPhone UI and usability requirements.

Quote:

Whether analysts actually know anything or not, I think bad news is what Apple needs right now.

They've been acting pretty arrogant lately and some humbling definitely would not hurt.

We shall see. The analyst are only pontificating with little actual information. They have no idea what Apple will do next.

Quote:

Having your stock fall to almost 1/2 of it's recent high is enough to scare the flibbertigibbety out of anyone.

The stock is still 40% over what it was last year.

Apple is making more money now than they ever in history. Every product Apple sells makes a profit. Apple is sitting on $12 billion in cash.

Stock price going down does not necessarily mean a company has really done any wrong. Apple cannot continue accelerated growth forever. It will speed up and slow down.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Oh boy, another round of "let's short apple and profit off the drop".

For the past 6 years, these so-called experts have set low target prices in periodic announcements, then profited on the inevitable share price drop & bounce.

Six - eight months from now the world will be stunned by the news that people continue to buy apple products, that apple makes a profit and that new products and upgrades are in the pipeline.

When they're estimates prove to be overly pessimistic, they won't say "oops", just "thank you, sucker"
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Even the throttled Netflix service should get you a lot more movies for the money than Apple.

Before the AppleTV, we would often go several weekends without watching a single movie, so the $20 monthly fee was not that great a deal. Also, I'd put something on my queue and when it arrived, I got a "what the **** was I thinking" moment. Sometimes, we are not in the mood for the three movies we happen to have.

You may be more single-minded about your movies and always ready to watch whatever you ordered. In that case, you're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

In my mental midget, attention-span-of-a-gnat world, the Apple rentals are far better. You see what you want and boom! you are watching it. (I even have the added benefit of being able to take my movies to the local Blockbuster, a 10 minute round trip, to pick something off the shelf there, but it would be subject to late fees.) The paradox Apple is putting me into is that it might encourage us to watch more movies than we used to.

While I am not that pumped about seeing "The Hours", I am hoping that the $0.99 deals will be movies that we would like to watch.

As far as Apple promoting AppleTV, I'll bet they are waiting until their library grows to a respectable size before they go for the big time ad campaign.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple is sitting on $12 billion in cash.

Actually, Apple is sitting on over $18 billion in cash!! Analysts are now whining about Apple having TOO MUCH cash! (As a stockholder, I could take a dividend in the form of Apple Store credit ) Pretty far cry from the "beleaguered" days, huh?
  • Reply 34 of 66
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple is making more money now than they ever in history. Every product Apple sells makes a profit. Apple is sitting on $12 billion in cash.

They've only got $12 billion ???!!! What happened ???!!!

FYI: They're sitting on $18+ billion:

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/02/26.7.shtml
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Ummm... that cute little chart put the 8GB iPhone (and even the 16GB) as the cheapest (next to the Moto Q) smartphone to own over a course of 2 years. In fact, the cost of both models is well below the average of the entire chart. What kind of crack are these analysts smoking? Why would Apple have to agressively lower its iPhone prices? To compete with the $99 Moto Q?!?
  • Reply 36 of 66
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

As far as Apple promoting AppleTV, I'll bet they are waiting until their library grows to a respectable size before they go for the big time ad campaign.

You still need to be able to buy and just not rent for it to succeed to the masses.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

2007 was the year of the iPhone. 2008 will be the year of the Mac.

As in MacBookAir?

I think this shows that the iPhone has been overhyped and over-rated. Hopefully a real new iMac will come out- this time with a new mouse to match the body.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Financial analysts have hindsight and word it as if it's foresight.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Actually, Apple is sitting on over $18 billion in cash!! Analysts are now whining about Apple having TOO MUCH cash! (As a stockholder, I could take a dividend in the form of Apple Store credit ) Pretty far cry from the "beleaguered" days, huh?

or maybe they could buy back some of their stock
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

or maybe they could buy back some of their stock

go suck a banana you fruit-lover