Apple releases iPhone Software Version 1.1.4

Comments

• Reply 61 of 116
    im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with ya ont he flash thing. i heard the sdk will proivide for it
  • Reply 62 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriendInMyPants View Post

im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with ya ont he flash thing. i heard the sdk will proivide for it

Nah, your just a clown. now STFU!
  • Reply 63 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PorschePhD View Post

Here is a stupid question:

If upgrade to 1.1.4 assuming I can Ziphone it, because of SDK does that mean that none of the thrid party apps we have now (currently running 1.1.3) will work with 1.1.4? I don't mind trying to unlock it providing I am not going backwards for a while until the apps are released.

Hello PoschePhD,

the problem that 1.1.2 ---> 1.1.3 had was that some of the file structures changed. Apple was going to make this change and did so. They did not do this in 1.1.4 so all your apps should work. Operative word being, should. If you do ZiPhone it, please report back. From Zibri's blog, ZiPhone will work with 1.1.4.
  • Reply 64 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

It's not new. iPhone has also always asked you if you wanted to delete videos after you were done playing them, to save disk space.

With v1, that may have helped free up some disk space for content you add on iPhone (notes, bookmarks, contacts, camera pictures, etc.)

When the iTunes Store was added, it helped free up room for your downloads.

Now it will help with installed apps. They were disk-space-conscious from the start.

This is a bug. There is a 3rd party app or hack that fixes this. You can SSH into your iPhone and delete some files and change things or download and install a hack.
  • Reply 65 of 116
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How would this break Jailbreaks? People who are already jailbroken wouldn't have a desire to upgrade if there aren't any new features. You have to consciously choose to download and install the update; it's not done over the cell towers.

My phones can download updates over the cell network, but you have to manually set the phone to check. I suppose it's possible to make a phone takes updates without user intervention or permission, but I don't think they're like that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aclark19 View Post

Hasn't anyone noticed??

The problem of out-of-order text messages has been fixed!!

Would it really hurt Apple to say as much? I really don't get why they can't state at least some of the problems they fixed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriendInMyPants View Post

I call BS. Where did you hear about that?
  • Reply 66 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

My phones can download updates over the cell network, but you have to manually set the phone to check. I suppose it's possible to make a phone takes updates without user intervention or permission, but I don't think they're like that.

True. This has been a staple of SE for quite a while with Nokia coming along with it a bit later. However the size of an iPhone upgrade would be almost prohibitive via OTA.
  • Reply 67 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post

[re: flash] I call BS. Where did you hear about that?

From a ponies-and-rainbows source. Apple has zero incentive to add Flash support, and it presents numerous performance and UI challenges.
  • Reply 68 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Hello PoschePhD,

the problem that 1.1.2 ---> 1.1.3 had was that some of the file structures changed. Apple was going to make this change and did so. They did not do this in 1.1.4 so all your apps should work. Operative word being, should. If you do ZiPhone it, please report back. From Zibri's blog, ZiPhone will work with 1.1.4.

I just checked, it will crack it, but he has asked for us to wait until he can check a few things and fix a couple of the bugs. I have donated to the site so I will see the new version a day before public release and report back when I load it.
  • Reply 69 of 116
    "supersedes" should be spelled "supercedes".
  • Reply 70 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

It would be rude of Apple to state for some time that there would be an SDK before end of Feb, give out an update towards the end of Feb and not tell us before the update that the SDK will not be ready until some other time. That would be rude and I think it is how Apple is treating us. It would have been much nicer if they had said we are sorry but it wont be ready until X date and the update released today is only for X. But it seems that is too much to ask for.

I don't know if I agree that it is evidence of "how Apple is treating us" but I certainly appreciate when people keep their word.

As a teenager, I learned early-on that when Dad asked me what time I would be home, the smartest thing I could do was to overestimate my arrival time.
  • Reply 71 of 116
    All I've noticed so far is that instead of three white dots at the bottom of the app icons page I now only have two white dots.
  • Reply 72 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gobble gobble View Post

All I've noticed so far is that instead of three white dots at the bottom of the app icons page I now only have two white dots.

That's the number of home screens you have. If you drag an icon from the second screen to the right, you'll get three screens, and three dots.
  • Reply 73 of 116
    I don't know if it's just my phone, seeing as I'm a UK user and therefore only done this upgrade thing once before, but last time I had to re-register my phone on iTunes, not after this update though.
  • Reply 74 of 116
    It appears that safari pages once loaded do not go blank like they used to. They remember the site you visited so you do not have to waste time reloading them.

Also it looks like they fixed the alarm problem. If you received a text at night when your alarm was set your alarm would go off and you would not get woken up. But it looks like they have made it so regardless of the messages and phone calls you get your alarm goes off.

I always like to say by small and simple things do great things come to pass.
  • Reply 75 of 116
    I think this update was just getting the iPhones ready for the future software updates. That way, whenever the SDKs are released and applications are developed, the iPhones will be ready...
  • Reply 76 of 116
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I updated my iPhone and it said was successful. It restarted then shut off and disappeared from the iTunes menu. I took it out of the cradle, tuned it on and all seemed to be working. But when I first put it in the cradle before updating the battery was showing half depleted. 10 minutes later the update was finished and the battery was showing full.

I put the phone back in the cradle and got a message that "This accessory is not compatible with the iPhone do I want to turn on airplane mode?" Then a new message saying "Activation may take several minutes" then immediately "Activation complete". Very weird.
  • Reply 77 of 116
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmon750 View Post

Do I bitch about not having a Lamborghini as an everyday car? No. So if the iPhone is not available for whatever reason in your town/state/country/planet/whatever, that is just life. If you can hack it up enough to get it to work, kudos to you. But don't expect an easy ride from Apple. You own the hardware, but not the OS software. Get over it.

Let the flamebaiting begin (again).

What does the unavailability have to do at all with what your talking about?

"If the iPhone isn't available in canada after when it's available in so many other countries tough, just go ahead and hack it. But don't complain when apple makes its hard to do so and doesn't offer you a legal alternative to own or operate it because you own the hardware, not the software, this is life, get over it."

What kind of logic is that? And how is that at all like having a Lamborghini as an everyday car? Because all american's are rich and can afford iphones(lambos) and all canadians are poor and cannot?
  • Reply 78 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrant View Post

I just noticed now that on my iPod Touch, when I switch between tabs in Safari, my content now stays, it does not go to a white screen and then reload anymore. I like that alot, saves a lot of time waiting for stuff to load . . .

I noticed the same thing with my 16GB iPhone. A small change but VERY VERY nice given the EDGE connection ...
  • Reply 79 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

"supersedes" should be spelled "supercedes".

No it should not.
  • Reply 80 of 116
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbatsell View Post

No it should not.

To back you up right from the OS X American Heritage Dictionary:
    USAGE The standard spelling is supersede, not supercede. The word is derived from the Latin verb supersedere but has been influenced by the presence of other words in English spelled with -cede, such as intercede and accede. The spelling supercede is recorded as early as the 16th century, but is still regarded as incorrect.