More MacBook details: battery life claims, enviro push, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

But you don't understand! In Final Cut Pro on my macbook with 4mb L2 cache with 256mb ram an hdv render took 8 hours!!!

Now with 3mb L2 cache with 256mb ram that same render is taking a staggering 11 days!!

Apple has screwed me right in the a***ole!

I call bullsh*t.

How do you get 256 MB of RAM in a MacBook? And who in the world would be stupid enough to try?
  • Reply 22 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

5 hours. LOL.

My 2.33 ghz MBP has NEVER gotten 3 hours. Not once. The typical operating time is 2 hours. 1.5, if things are heavy.

That's on a new (<1 year old) machine in typical "power user" tasks... such as web browsing, iTunes, and obviously using some backlight as well, in order to see properly.

5 hours is a complete load of crap. Nowhere near reality.

That's funny - I get over 4 hours on my MacBook Pro 17". What are you doing that you only get 2 hours? Have you tried calibrating the battery as you're supposed to and possibly dimming the screen a bit? What could you possibly be doing to get 1.5 hours of battery life?
  • Reply 23 of 78
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

5 hours in real life use = 3 hours tops

I've never had a problem getting the reported battery life. If they say a machine will get 5 hours battery life with the wireless off and the screen at one bar of brightness (Apple's old test), it will. Whether that's useful to you or not is another question, but no one lied to you.

Apple's new test is wireless web browsing (presumably with no Flash or Java or Javascript) at half screen brightness. Again, I see no reason to doubt the numbers they quote. If you get a lower battery life, you are doing something more taxing. It doesn't take a genius to work out the less you tax the system, the longer the battery will last.

Quote:

and a 200 GB HD is really about 175.

No it isn't. It's 200 GB or 186 GiB, which are both the exact same number of bytes.

Quote:

I mean at this point with hard drives being so big why not just say 175GB?

Because that wouldn't be correct. A 200 GB drive really is a 200 GB drive, in fact you usually get a little bit more than the stated capacity. (My HDD's stated capacity is 100 GB but it's actually 100,030,242,816 Bytes = 100.03 GB).

The real question you have to ask is why does Mac OS X (and Windows) incorrectly report that number of bytes as 93.2 GB? Either the number should be bigger (100.03), or the units should be GiB.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

No it isn't. It's 200 GB or 186 GiB, which are both the exact same number of bytes.

Because that wouldn't be correct. A 200 GB drive really is a 200 GB drive, in fact you usually get a little bit more than the stated capacity. (My HDD's stated capacity is 100 GB but it's actually 100,030,242,816 Bytes = 100.03 GB).

The real question you have to ask is why does Mac OS X (and Windows) incorrectly report that number of bytes as 93.2 GB? Either the number should be bigger (100.03), or the units should be GiB.

I can only guess this was originally a marketing tactic, but with this huge capacities that have come out people are seeing the difference more and more. Yet no one seems to know the difference between the common (10^nx3) and binary (2^nx10) prefixes, much less how to do the math on them.

At this point it's a pet peeve of mind to hear that it's due to formatting or, with the iPhone, it's due to the OS.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Its a let down to know the new MB cache is smaller then the previous MB model, why did Apple change it?

And the $20 Apple Remote is a joke, all laptop manufacturer's are offering their media remote for free, why is Apple doing this stuffs?

They are not getting enough money from the AppleTV and iTunes (which is now ranked no.2)?
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Its a let down to know the new MB cache is smaller then the previous MB model, why did Apple change it?

WHY, GOD, WHY?
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:

Intel changed it, not Apple. The L2 cache is part of the CPU die.

Quote:

manufacturer's

The plural of "manufacturer" is "manufacturers"

Quote:

are offering their media remote for free, why is Apple doing this stuffs?

Not everyone wants the remote. It's a good way for Apple to make more money and produce less waste (an unused remote is waste).
  • Reply 28 of 78
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

If you check the Penryn specs (http://www.intel.com/products/proces...e2duo+tab_spec) you will see that they would have to put a 2.5 GHz CPU in to offer more than 3 MB L2 cache - this would have brought the MB's price too close to the MBP, at least for the time being. They will likely have another spec change around late summer and things might be better then - the production of Penryn CPUs is still limited and prices will come down in a while.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What am I missing here? Where did this data come from? Why do you only have 256 MB of Ram? And why are you trying put 10 lbs. of potatoes in a a 5 pound sack? Don't you know you are supposed to use a Mac Pro for HD video rendering?

heeheehee...
  • Reply 30 of 78
    the led backlight is a huge improvement. I wish my powerbook had one.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrbay View Post

Didnt see in the article, but Apple removed the Apple Remote from the default set. If you want it you can buy it for $20 if you want.. Not a big thing, just wanted to notify you..

For AppleInsiders readers only:

5% off the $20 price for the remote if you buy one in the next 24 hours for the low price of $19 !!!

Quote:

Not everyone wants the remote. It's a good way for Apple to make more money and produce less waste (an unused remote is waste).

Actually, an unused remote is a paperweight!

But, I agree that most of the remotes that came with MacBooks are not used and Apple can adjust profitability slightly by not giving them away.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't wait to here the ranting and ravings about the "Apple" is screwing "us" on the L2 Cache.

The huge caches didn't really seem to help as much as we might think anyway.

Quote:

Hasn't LED backlit available on the 17" MBPs as an option for awhile now?

It's possible, but I wasn't aware of it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

What do you think of the LED displays?

When I was looking at the macbook air a few days ago, I noticed it has about a 3 degree view angle??? Move your head a few inches left or right, especially up and down, and the color/brightness shifts big time.

Based on what i've seen in the Macbook Air, LED displays are useless to any creative professionals.

It's LED backlight, not LED display. That's unfortunate that you saw that, but LED backlighting is probably independent of the display substrate type. The MBPro probably uses a different substrate than the MBAir. I haven't seen that in the MBPro LED backlit display.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heymike2 View Post

From Apple's web site:

LED backlit displays

Both 15-inch MacBook Pro models feature power-saving, LED backlit widescreen displays. And now you can even configure the 17-inch model with the ultimate creative canvas — 1920 by 1200 pixels with LED backlighting.

The previous revision of the 15" was all LED backlit too.

Quote:

The two biggest piles of BS in the computer word is Battery Life and Hard Disk size. 5 hours in real life use = 3 hours tops and a 200 GB HD is really about 175. I know the Bites thing but it's just another twist. I mean at this point with hard drives being so big why not just say 175GB? We'd buy still buy it.

Hard disk size was never a joke, nor is it inaccurately sold. The problem is that the computer reports sizes relative 2^10, the marketing size of hard drives are reported in terms of 10^3. All retail hard drives tell you in billion of bytes (1 000 000 000) and you were sold that, whereas the computer GB is 1.07 GB (1 073 741 824). The difference isn't even as bad as you say, on 1TB, you "lose" only 60GB, so your number should be reported as 186GB.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Who sells a product that uses a remote without including the remote? NOBODY!

I can understand not including certain cables but the machine accepts a remote- INCLUDE IT!

This is a bad business policy and hurts goodwill. Not everybody already owns the remote- this is CHEESY.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

But, I agree that most of the remotes that came with MacBooks are not used and Apple can adjust profitability slightly by not giving them away.

How do you know people don't use the remotes? Show me the stats on this - a link perhaps?
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Who sells a product that uses a remote without including the remote? NOBODY!

A few hi-end HiFi manufacturers do it. And now Apple does too.

The point is that the IR remote control is not the main feature of a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Why manufacture all those remotes just so they can sit around unused in people's homes all over the world and eventually after several years of not being used, end up in landfill?
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:

A few hi-end HiFi manufacturers do it. And now Apple does too.

The point is that the IR remote control is not the main feature of a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Why manufacture all those remotes just so they can sit around unused in people's homes all over the world and eventually after several years of not being used, end up in landfill?

Who sells a product and it's remote separately? Please name names. Thank you.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    Quote:

If Apple is that environmentally conscious then they should include a prepaid envelope to mail back the remote if you don't want it. There should also be a toll free number to return those that already exist if this is such an environmental issue. This is only about making more money.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If Apple is that environmentally conscious then they should include a prepaid envelope to mail back the remote if you don't want it. There should also be a toll free number to return those that already exist if this is such an environmental issue. This is only about making more money.

They should not include it at all and avoid the production and shipping altogether.

They should also only supply the keys that you wish to buy. For instance, I can't recall ever using the Cap Locks, F8, F9, F10, F11, fn or Enter key.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They should not include it at all and avoid the production and shipping altogether.

They should also only supply the keys that you wish to buy. For instance, I can't recall ever using the Cap Locks, F8, F9, F10, F11, fn or Enter key.

And who needs the iSight camera- if you can't print the picture- right?
  • Reply 40 of 78
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I for one wouldn't use a remote with a laptop.

First of all, a laptop is mostly on YOUR LAP. Hello! LOL...who on earth would use a remote when its on their lap? Come on. Thats ridiculous. And then the rest of the time the laptop is on your desk...again...who would use a remote?

Only those using the laptop for keynotes would need one.

As a whole this is an interesting update for the macbook. No touch pad. Hmm. I think they were forced by intel to offer this upgrade since they are dropping the old chipset. So Apple added a larger hd and the macbook pros got the touch pad in the same old case.

I think this will keep sales going until the major refresh that is most surely coming. Perhaps at WWDC?

Who knows. I don't know if I will buy now. I was going to get a macbook for checking emails and light work while traveling overseas...but think I will just get the 32 gig ipod touch for that now and hold out for the case redesign down the road.

But the macbooks are still a good deal for anyone who absolutely needs a laptop now.