First Mac, iMac or MacBook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi. I?m making the transition from Desktop PC to Mac for the first time. I?ve never owned a Mac before. However I cannot choose whether to get the iMac or the MacBook. I?m either going to get the iMac with 2.4ghz, 320gb hard drive and 2gb RAM or the MacBook with 2.4ghz, 250gb HD and 2gb RAM but I just can?t choose between the two.

Essentially I would like to be able to edit videos etc on my new computer and also use Garageband to record music but I dunno whether the MacBook would struggle with this or what. I download a lot of music and videos but I think the 250GB HD would be okay for what I need since I only use about 80GB at the minute.

Portabillity of the laptop isn?t essential as I am not a student and I don?t need it for work however it would be a nice luxury to have but it?s not the end of the world and I?ve managed with a Desktop PC for the last 10 years.

What would you recommend? Is there much of a difference performance wise between the two? Are either of them liable for need repairing? I?m just scared of buying the wrong one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: Would the Macbook struggle with the video editing and Garageband or would it run just as fast as the iMac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    If portability is not an issue then go for the iMac and for a bit extra, chuck 4GB of RAM in there - just don't buy Apple RAM. Way overpriced.

I've just made the leap and have not looked back, you won't regret it
  • Reply 2 of 2
    If you are going to buy the iMac wait for it to get updated, which should be in the next few weeks. The current iMac can do whatever you need it to do, but by waiting for it to get updated you will get more (larger hard drive, more VRAM, and a new processor) for the same price as the current iMac models. The MacBook was updated yesterday so it can be purchased immediately.