Next Apple notebook refresh rumored for June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

With Intel ?

NEVER. This is not IBM.

Uhhh I still remember all the howling when the PowerPC -> Intel switch was made. Soulless, WinTel, Evil empire and so on were the words used. I think by now we have had more upgrades then under the entire PPC era (ok slightly exagerating). But the progress is re-lent-less. Which is good - unless you happen to postpone your buy until the next big bump, before a period of relative calm

With Intel you might have to wait forever then. Having said that I rather prefer this then the 3GHz PPC

It's amazign that people will complain about frequent processor advancements. And to think that Intel is delaying the release of chips because AMD is so far behind.

The one thing I do miss about the PPC chips is Apple's sharper focus in creating more efficient software to better utilize the stagnating IBM/Motorola chips.
  • Reply 22 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

With Intel ?

NEVER. This is not IBM.

Uhhh I still remember all the howling when the PowerPC -> Intel switch was made. Soulless, WinTel, Evil empire and so on were the words used. I think by now we have had more upgrades then under the entire PPC era (ok slightly exagerating). But the progress is re-lent-less. Which is good - unless you happen to postpone your buy until the next big bump, before a period of relative calm

With Intel you might have to wait forever then. Having said that I rather prefer this then the 3GHz PPC

I was more referring to the endless rumors of the next latest and greatest launch date when the current release just came out. not so much the progress of technology.
  • Reply 23 of 167
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jImbEAn View Post

I was more referring to the endless rumors of the next latest and greatest launch date when the current release just came out. not so much the progress of technology.

You're still new here. You'll get used to it .
  • Reply 24 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

There were complications with this last release. Intel altered the voltage on these latest chips at teh last minute which then required every OEM to make adjustments on their mobos even though the pins are identical to the previous model.
  • Reply 25 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

It may be true that you may not see any visual difference on a MB or MBP, but I have my MB connected to the 23" Cinema Display whenever I'm at home. I have so much more room to use Spaces and watch films. It is great! If I were to compare playing a regular DVD vs just seeing the HD quicktime movie trailers, there is such sharpness and more detail even at the 720p level.

Yeah, I see what you are saying. Still not only is this a very specific need (how many of us have powerbooks as our only computer connected to a large screen and use it to watch movies) but it is also one that could be completely solved with an external BluRay drive...
  • Reply 26 of 167
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

It's one of those features that sounds great on paper but doesn't amount to much in the real world. Like Safari on the Apple TV, or Flash on the iPhone. Everyone wants it, but if they had it, the experience wouldn't match the expectation.

Like maybe if you owned a blu-ray disc and would like want to watch it when you travel this would like let you?
  • Reply 27 of 167
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Why do you want BluRay on your laptop? Will you be able to see that much difference in video playback on a 15 inch screen? Ir is it that you frequently find youself needing to burn 40 GB of data to a disk when you are at Starbucks?

Sorry for being flip, but I don't see the point of salivating over this.

So you can watch a blu-ray disc.
  • Reply 28 of 167
    Quote:

I have a 1stG Intel iMac and MacBook (which i bought two weeks before the switch to C2D [and 802.11 n])

The machines are working quite happily now that MS-Office is UB too. Other then that one should stop moaning about the CPU speed and spend a few bucks/euro extra on RAM. And a bigger HD for the MacBook. the stock 60GB was getting cowded after 1.5 years. Still - now that the 160GB Samsung is in there [120 Euro...] I am still good to go for at least another 1.5 years.

Dunno what it is but OSX and Apps seem to be less demanding then Windows Apps. I have a 3 y old Toshiba laptop which is excruciatingly slllloooowwww, even when compared to the G4 iBook. Oh and I stoped installing s/w on the Toshiba about two years ago....

So if you wanna buy a MacBook now - dont wait - and dont feel sorry if they up the specs. Its technology. Just buy more RAM, that will do more to you the 0.2 GHz on top.....
  • Reply 29 of 167
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Well put. Kinda like people who want HD on iPhones.

What? There's no HD on the iPhone? Screw it then, I'll wait.

What I've learned is that people will never be happy with a current version of anything. They also forget to ask themselves what they'll be using it for prior to purchase.

As far as computers are they going to be using it for rendering the next blockbuster or just surfing. Most likely the latter. My God, people are just ridiculous. All in all I just think that, for the most part, they want bragging rights for $3k. That's what Starbucks is all about, "look at me and my, newer that yours, laptop and that's right I can still afford a double F#$@ me Latte'. People simply read too much into what's next these days. It's nice to know, but there's always something around the corner, there always will be. If you want to wait like a fool, go for it and then you can wait again and then again and... Who cares? Buy a machine now and enjoy it. Fill it full of ram and don't get a slow 4200rpm drive and believe me, you'll be happy for a long time to come. Don't get so caught up in the hype.
  • Reply 30 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

And when did Ai originally say yesterday's update would happen? If they're saying June now, you can bet it will be at least August, more likely October or November before the update actually happens.

And if there's a new case and logic board involved, then you can bet people will want to wait until the "second generation" of that new platform, because, you know, the first rendition of anything should be avoided.

Keep that up and you'll never have a new computer.

You can wait until the next update for the rest of your life, if you want, or you could just buy a machine now and get to actually use it.

There's always a new machine less than a year away. Keep that in mind.

That's why I purchased the now current Penryn/Santa Rosa MBP, today.

AnandTech did a complete teardown of a Merom/Santa Rosa and Penryn/Santa Rosa MBP and their conclusion is there is practically no difference between the two models except the motherboard and multi-touch trackpad. This means minimal risk of hardware bugs.

Granted, a Penryn/Montevina MBP will (hopefully) yield better performance, cooler operation and extended battery life, but as you've pointed out, it will all be "Version 1.0" hardware and I need something that's usable and reliable now. In fact, if there is a chassis change, we'll have to wait even longer for Version 1.0 accessories.

The major features I needed are in Penryn/Santa Rosa MBP. Namely the SSE4 extensions in the Penryn CPU, multi-touch trackpad and possibly the extra VRAM when using 3D intensive applications (e.g. Final Cut Motion).

One other thing to note is a Penryn/Montevina MB or MBP may be more expensive when it comes out. Indeed, it's not a forgone conclusion but with the US Dollar continued sinking and other currencies rising, Apple will have to make a choice on either holding prices or keeping the shareholders happy by keeping profits up (and costs down).

Come to think of it, those waiting for a MB would probably be best served by waiting for the next revision. Even with Version 1.0 hardware and possible price increase, there are more positives than negatives by waiting IMHO.

As to my purchasing experience, I shopped MacMall and Amazon.

The former could get me a MBP 15" 2.5GHz matte screen model within a couple of weeks and savings could be realized by going through all the hassle of submitting for all the rebates (e.g. $75 off for the MBP). The latter would be the easiest with a $150 mail-in rebate, but would have to wait up to two months to receive the MBP if I ordered it today.

In the end, I got the MBP and AppleCare through a local source (should have it in a week) and NewEgg.com to get the Kingston 4GB memory upgrade kit, the Speck See-Thru Hard Shell Case and VMWare Fusion (transferring an XP Pro license from an unrepairable PC). All had instant rebates except VMWare Fusion which has a $20 mail-in rebate.

Grand net total for all of the above (not including tax) is $2,850 USD. Not bad, but not great either... an absolute bargain by European standards I expect.

YipYipYipee
  • Reply 31 of 167
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Yeah, I see what you are saying. Still not only is this a very specific need (how many of us have powerbooks as our only computer connected to a large screen and use it to watch movies) but it is also one that could be completely solved with an external BluRay drive...

If the form factor of the machine supports an internal drive then recommending an external drive as a "solution" is really a non-starter. People buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro for a complete solution. Let Air buyers decide whether or not they want to tote along an external drive. Additionally, this doesn't meet the needs of people travelling as the USB ports don't supply enough power to run an external drive without an adapter (see the Air with it's special solution). I guess people won't be watching movies on planes if you have your way.
  • Reply 32 of 167
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

when does it stop??!?!!?

next on the soon to be updated list:

leopard 10.3, could be next month, who knows...

imac, hey it's been awhile, right?

macpro, these are older than the notebooks so we should expect another update in late spring.

and because many will probably wait until 10.4 to upgrade, let's start a rumor about that one too!

good grief!

Your forgeting the SDK event and web tablet. Whats a matter with you? Your list was too short!
  • Reply 33 of 167
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calguy View Post

It may be true that you may not see any visual difference on a MB or MBP, but I have my MB connected to the 23" Cinema Display whenever I'm at home. I have so much more room to use Spaces and watch films. It is great! If I were to compare playing a regular DVD vs just seeing the HD quicktime movie trailers, there is such sharpness and more detail even at the 720p level. I have also seen the technical comparisons that have been shown and I am looking forward to the real thing.

I hate to break it to you, but it is very likely that you will never be able to watch a blu-ray movie at full resolution on your Cinema Display. It's more than Apple upgrading the software and making a blu-ray version of DVD Player. The license for playing back blu-ray requires that the entire video path be secure (ie, encrypted). This is to prevent recording of the signal. Specifically, the cable connecting to your display has to support HDCP, which typically means an HDMI connection (and pre-2005 HDMI didn't support HDCP, either). HDCP can technically be supported on DVI, but I've never seen it. Both your player (Mac) and display/TV would need to support HDCP in order for the blu-ray video to play at full resolution. This signal is degraded (low resolution) if the two devices can't handshake to confirm the path is secure. Apple may even have to secure the video data as it travels across the motherboard inside of your computer and on the video card itself.

So it's not as simple as putting in a blu-ray drive and creating a Blu-Ray Player app. There are some significant architectural changes that would need to take place. It's possible that this could be included in the next revision, but since the format war was only recently won and blu-ray is still a fairly low volume format, I wouldn't expect it.

Edit: BTW, this is probably one of the main reasons you can't rent HD movies from your computer, only from AppleTV. AppleTV has an HDMI connection which supports HDCP, and your computer does not.
  • Reply 34 of 167
    Quote:

Yes, that would be a very good way before they are available as an option built in. But, I don't think that Apple supports the external BR drives yet with it's software. They are a little behind the PC world regarding this. So, again my guess is that Apple will establish BR much more completely at one time rather than a little add on here and there. The Pro market is well established with creatives preferring Apple over a PC so Apple will need to support them sooner rather than later. Once the software is complete, then an external option is indeed a good option for those who want to keep their current MBP or MP.

I use my 23" for all my work and play and home through my MB. Having it 6' away is better than watching a HD television.
  • Reply 35 of 167
    People seem to forget that the ability to play Blu Ray discs on your mac will also include with it all the same DRM people complain about in Vista.
  • Reply 36 of 167
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    "all of Intel's Centrino partners have indicated they will announce notebooks based on the new Montevina Centrino 2 platform at that time"

But other companies "announce" in advance of shipping. So don't expect shipping computers in June, just announcements. And since Apple doesn't pre-announce products, you won't hear anything from them until July or August, when they are ready to ship.

As for the case redesign, if that potentially includes the new keyboard I'll think I'll be picking up one of the just announced models. I've used the new keyboard a little bit; and while I'd probably get used to it, maybe even like it, I'm not willing to bet $2500 on it.
  • Reply 37 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I hate to break it to you, but it is very likely that you will never be able to watch a blu-ray movie at full resolution on your Cinema Display. It's more than Apple upgrading the software and making a blu-ray version of DVD Player. The license for playing back blu-ray requires that the entire video path be secure (ie, encrypted). This is to prevent recording of the signal. Specifically, the cable connecting to your display has to support HDCP, which typically means an HDMI connection (and pre-2005 HDMI didn't support HDCP, either). HDCP can technically be supported on DVI, but I've never seen it. Both your player (Mac) and display/TV would need to support HDCP in order for the blu-ray video to play at full resolution. This signal is degraded (low resolution) if the two devices can't handshake to confirm the path is secure. Apple may even have to secure the video data as it travels across the motherboard inside of your computer and on the video card itself.

So it's not as simple as putting in a blu-ray drive and creating a Blu-Ray Player app. There are some significant architectural changes that would need to take place. It's possible that this could be included in the next revision, but since the format war was only recently won and blu-ray is still a fairly low volume format, I wouldn't expect it.

Edit: BTW, this is probably one of the main reasons you can't rent HD movies from your computer, only from AppleTV. AppleTV has an HDMI connection which supports HDCP, and your computer does not.

Thanks for the information. I was aware of the encryption changes, but not the hardware changes that need to take place. I can always dream of a future when these upgrades are resolved and blue ray will be working just like the DVD standard does now. I know it will take a while, so I will wait and enjoy what I have now.
  • Reply 38 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Because any June release for notebooks will most likely include full case redesigns including multitouch for the mackbook.

.....and hopefully improved battery life.

guys, who said there will be a case redesign??? Right now, its only speculation. Dont get your hopes high yet for case redesign
  • Reply 39 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

People seem to forget that the ability to play Blu Ray discs on your mac will also include with it all the same DRM people complain about in Vista.

hey, since the war between blu-ray and HD dvd is over, why cant we say Hidef dvd? Because blu ray is only a platform. Not the content. The content is the same as HD-Dvd. So technically, if Apple goes the route of not having blu-ray player, most likely they will have it over at itunes.
  • Reply 40 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

"all of Intel's Centrino partners have indicated they will announce notebooks based on the new Montevina Centrino 2 platform at that time"

But other companies "announce" in advance of shipping. So don't expect shipping computers in June, just announcements. And since Apple doesn't pre-announce products, you won't hear anything from them until July or August, when they are ready to ship.

As for the case redesign, if that potentially includes the new keyboard I'll think I'll be picking up one of the just announced models. I've used the new keyboard a little bit; and while I'd probably get used to it, maybe even like it, I'm not willing to bet $2500 on it.

I think it is great that the redesign will come with Montevina. I own a Macbook Pro of last revision and was till yesterday every eager to know if the lastest update has a new design. As it's only a spec bump I am very relieved that I don't have to sell my current notebook and buy a new one. So I will until July and buy the redesigned and MUCH faster Montevina Macbook Pro. Hopefully Apple will announce a redesign of Macbook Air with more space and ports.