Apple to hold "iPhone Software Roadmap" media event next week

Comments

• Reply 21 of 109
    Hope Sling will be able to create something so I can use my slingbox with the iPhone over WiFi.
  • Reply 22 of 109
    Well, when I hear the word "roadmap" I think "long journey ahead".

Wonder if the SDK is even close to being ready, and this is an event to placate the developers with promises of what they'll be able to do... sometime .... in the future... down the road....

Just sounds like everyone won't get all that they hope for when the SDK first "launches" and will have to wait until we're "down the road" a bit to deliver full featured apps the way they want to.
  • Reply 23 of 109
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

Well, when I hear the word "roadmap" I think "long journey ahead".

Wonder if the SDK is even close to being ready, and this is an event to placate the developers with promises of what they'll be able to do... sometime .... in the future... down the road....

Just sounds like everyone won't get all that they hope for when the SDK first "launches" and will have to wait until we're "down the road" a bit to deliver full featured apps the way they want to.

Hopefully enough information will be released for analysts to figure out if the SDK is going to support multiple mobile devices. That way we can figure out what devices are coming out later this year.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    pinepine Posts: 22member
    Maybe the SDK is the first stage in the roadmap. Remember last year at WWDC, developers all received copies of Leopard. I imagine the same will happen on the 6th. Developers will get the SDK, which require 1.1.4 to work on but users won't see much more than examples. Remember, the event isn't for us (users). Another stage in the roadmap might be app implementation for the rest of us. Maybe iPhone 1.2. Developers will not only be making sure their programs work but also making sure the current iPhone OS is stable enough for 3rd party apps along with suggestions apple needs to make to the iPhone OS. Just my guesses.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Did anyone else notice the roadmap is a "Google Map" in the upper left corner? Nice touch

I have to say, I think that graphic is painfully literal. A little creativity couldn't hurt.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

I have to say, I think that graphic is painfully literal. A little creativity couldn't hurt.

Keeping your largest business partner happy trumps creativity
  • Reply 27 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yup, as far as 2008 is concerned Apple is just getting warmed up.

So far we've had...
    Software:

— Leopard point release

— (2) iPhone software updates

— XSan update

— AppleTV update

— New iPod games,

— iTunes & QT updates

— iTS movie rentals

— iLife, iWork and pro apps updates

Hardware:

— Mac Pro update

— Xserve update

— MacBook Air release

— MacBook update

— MacBook Pro update

— Time Capsule pre-order

— new Nano colour

— iPhone and iPod touch capacity increases

— iPod Shuffle price point lowered & capacity doubled
    So far it's a pretty good start for two months right after the holidays.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

That's true. Still, more worrying than the delay is the idea that there *is* a "roadmap" at all. Apple doesn't have an "OS X roadmap" or an "iPod roadmap." To me, this implies a tiered development process of some sort - perhaps allowing Apple's partners full access to the platform and giving smaller developers a more restricted sandbox. Either that or features will be rolled out gradually - it wouldn't be a roadmap if it didn't include more than one step in the process.

I'm not willing to get worried abou something that I don't yet know enough about.

Just remember, the iPhone will hopefully be around for a long time, as will all the other devices that are already springing up. even if this takes a while to blossom, it will just be for a short time in the overall life of the product family. Apple also bends to the will of its customers and developers a bit here and there.

I'm not worried.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Hopefully enough information will be released for analysts to figure out if the SDK is going to support multiple mobile devices. That way we can figure out what devices are coming out later this year.

Less than complete specifications of future devices could even be part of the

reason for the delay of the SDK. I imagine Apple would prefer the SDK to last

for at least a few months without major updating.
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

...mmmmm Enterprise!

mmmmmm!

I want to be shown they actually mean Enterprise. At NeXT we were focused at the Enterprise and it never came to fruition when we merged, even in our Enterprise Division.

If Enterprise means, we've got phones that work in Enterprise IT I'll have to take this as a Trojan Horse approach.
  • Reply 31 of 109
    One thing is for sure.......the RIM Blackberry team is a little nervous at the moment.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I want to be shown they actually mean Enterprise. At NeXT we were focused at the Enterprise and it never came to fruition when we merged, even in our Enterprise Division.

If Enterprise means, we've got phones that work in Enterprise IT I'll have to take this as a Trojan Horse approach.

OMG!

Sir, are you a bonafide secret Apple inside source? :/
  • Reply 33 of 109
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    We have to read between the lines in the invitation. An iPhone 2.0 is coming with 3G, VPN, 5MP camera with flash on the back and a 2MP camera of the front for the new iChat app, and the iPhone 2.0 doubles as a wireless modem for your computing needs.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

We have to read between the lines in the invitation. An iPhone 2.0 is coming with 3G, VPN, 5MP camera with flash on the back and a 2MP camera of the front for the new iChat app, and the iPhone 2.0 doubles as a wireless modem for your computing needs.

And I've got breasts on my back too.
  • Reply 35 of 109
    Quote:

If its going to be that focused on the enterprise there will be no cameras.... oh, and a they'll give you a sears die hard battery on wheels to take with you.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I know you're kidding, but this event would be a good place to announce a 3G iPhone. Of course, if announced next Thursday, I'd expect it to be released within 6-8 weeks later. In other words, ready for sale as soon as the FCC okays it as that time between will almost be a complete halt in iPhone sales.
  • Reply 38 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

That's true. Still, more worrying than the delay is the idea that there *is* a "roadmap" at all. Apple doesn't have an "OS X roadmap" or an "iPod roadmap." ...

This is because Apple generally doesn't "do" roadmaps at all.

The one and only reason for a roadmap is to let your partners know where you are going. You don't need a map to drive your own road, but you need to publish a roadmap if you expect any of your friends to follow you down the road the the party at the end.

This roadmap tells us that Apple is serious about attracting development and is going to provide the "road" (Software update) that goes through "town" (the SDK) so that the "cars" (enterprise software) can travel down it.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    The most interesting thing about all this to me is the differences between what they appear to be going to talk to the press about - "Please join us to learn about the iPhone software roadmap, including the iPhone SDK and some exciting new enterprise features," - and what they are going to discuss in the "Key Customer Briefing" as reproduced in this article: Mac Pro, MacBook Air, Xserve, iPod touch and SDK, Xsan. Nary a mention of the iPhone or any "exciting new enterprise features" for it at the key customer briefing, only the *iPod touch* and it's SDK plus recently announced Mac stuff. Since when has the touch been of any particular interest to Apple's "Key Customers" (i.e. non-consumer enterprise-level companies)? Everyone is palpitating about the iPhone's place in the corporate world while Apple suddenly seems to be more interested in the corporate possibilities of the iPod and it's SDK - that's unexpected and may be significant.
  • Reply 40 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dshan View Post

The most interesting thing about all this to me is the differences between what they appear to be going to talk to the press about - "Please join us to learn about the iPhone software roadmap, including the iPhone SDK and some exciting new enterprise features," - and what they are going to discuss in the "Key Customer Briefing" as reproduced in this article: Mac Pro, MacBook Air, Xserve, iPod touch and SDK, Xsan. Nary a mention of the iPhone or any "exciting new enterprise features" for it at the key customer briefing, only the *iPod touch* and it's SDK plus recently announced Mac stuff. Since when has the touch been of any particular interest to Apple's "Key Customers" (i.e. non-consumer enterprise-level companies)? Everyone is palpitating about the iPhone's place in the corporate world while Apple suddenly seems to be more interested in the corporate possibilities of the iPod and it's SDK - that's unexpected and may be significant.

Not surprising to me really. The ipod touch is really a forerunner to other more powerful mobile devices that aren't necessarily iphones. They are going to morph their entire ipod line into mobile devices in the near future. Apple is yet again.....evolving.