Apple to hold "iPhone Software Roadmap" media event next week

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

One thing is for sure.......the RIM Blackberry team is a little nervous at the moment.

Or they're very happy. Don't forget that RIM writes software for other device makers.
  • Reply 42 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Not surprising to me really. The ipod touch is really a forerunner other more powerful mobile devices that aren't necessarily iphones. They are going to morph their entire ipod line into mobile devices in the near future. Apple is yet again.....evolving.

Not to mention, that as long as the iPhone is tied to one US carrier that some may not wish to deal with, the iPod touch on the otherhand, lacking this "feature", is more consumer choice neutral. So when universities, for example, that have iPod programs can elevate such programs for their incoming freshmen utilizing the new iPod Touch, students won't have to be tied to single US mobile carrier or rate plans. Just another thought out there, is all.\
  • Reply 43 of 109

-

• Reply 44 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dshan View Post

Everyone is palpitating about the iPhone's place in the corporate world while Apple suddenly seems to be more interested in the corporate possibilities of the iPod and it's SDK - that's unexpected and may be significant.

I was wondering the same thing.....and the whole notion of the PLATFORM.
  • Reply 45 of 109
    I'm just waiting for when I will be able to run Photoshop on my iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oilerch50 View Post

I was wondering the same thing.....and the whole notion of the PLATFORM.

• Reply 46 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dshan View Post

Everyone is palpitating about the iPhone's place in the corporate world while Apple suddenly seems to be more interested in the corporate possibilities of the iPod and it's SDK - that's unexpected and may be significant.

You raise a great point here. My only thought is that the time for the iphone/SDK announcement is going to be limited, and they want other messages unrelated to the iPhone to reinforce the announcements. The downside may be that there is nothing substantial being released for the iPhone so Apple could be trying to bolster enthusiasm with these smaller announcements.
  • Reply 47 of 109
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Not to mention, that as long as the iPhone is tied to one US carrier that some may not wish to deal with, the iPod touch on the otherhand, lacking this "feature", is more consumer choice neutral. So when universities, for example, that have iPod programs can elevate such programs for their incoming freshmen utilizing the new iPod Touch, students won't have to be tied to single US mobile carrier or rate plans. Just another thought out there, is all.\

Exactly! Apple doesn't care about AT&T and neither does AT&T care about Apple. They are using each other. Steve is thinking long term and probably has plans to adjust his product line to work with the 4g nationwide wifi networks as they come into existence from those 700mhz auctions.

You watch.
  • Reply 48 of 109
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I hope they announce a new Mac Pro... one that actually works.

Mmmmmm... a computer that doesn't crash every hour, can wake from sleep, displays graphics properly... man... that would be awesome.

Would be nice if Apple changed it's mantra back to 'It just works', from their current 'Go to hell'.
  • Reply 49 of 109
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

And I've got breasts on my back too.

That must be painful.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

Keeping your largest business partner happy trumps creativity

No, the Google Maps bit was clever. The actual road map with really obvious signs is a little silly.
  • Reply 51 of 109
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post

If its going to be that focused on the enterprise there will be no cameras.... oh, and a they'll give you a sears die hard battery on wheels to take with you.

Video conferencing via the iPhone is definitely an enterprise tech. Other than a camera how are you going to do it?

A hi-res camera on the front makes a good tool for any on-the-go employee etc to visually communicate with HQ.
  • Reply 52 of 109
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Interesting points.

I believe the OS is only 160MB. The 700MB people seems to reference is the 10^3 to 2^10 differences in calculating capacity for the 8GB iPhone.

I can tell you didn't even do the math before posting that one.

160MB base 2 = 167,772,160 bytes

160MB base-10 = 160,000,000

The base differences are all of 7MB, not 540MB which is ~3.4 times larger than the download itself!

Those base differences are restricted to marketing hard disk sizes. Flash memory chips are all manufactured on base-2 capacities natively, making the point moot.
  • Reply 53 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I hope they announce a new Mac Pro... one that actually works.

Mmmmmm... a computer that doesn't crash every hour, can wake from sleep, displays graphics properly... man... that would be awesome.

Would be nice if Apple changed it's mantra back to 'It just works', from their current 'Go to hell'.

What the heck are you going on about?

If you have Applecare, get it fixed. If you don't, you should have.
  • Reply 54 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

The base differences are all of 7MB, not 540MB which is ~3.4 times larger than the download itself!

Those base differences are restricted to marketing hard disk sizes. Flash memory chips are all manufactured on base-2 capacities natively, making the point moot.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. An 8GB iPhone is also 7.45GiB in capacity. The iPhone lists a 7.3GiB capacity which has led people to believe that the OS is 700MiB because that is the difference between 8G(i)B and 7.3GiB.
  • Reply 55 of 109
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waxxel View Post

I'm just waiting for when I will be able to run Photoshop on my iPhone.

What are you talking about?? It's already in stores, check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eXpbGaIkPlw

• Reply 56 of 109
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I want to be shown they actually mean Enterprise. At NeXT we were focused at the Enterprise and it never came to fruition when we merged, even in our Enterprise Division.

If Enterprise means, we've got phones that work in Enterprise IT I'll have to take this as a Trojan Horse approach.

I'm hoping for good news. I doubt they would have mentioned it if there weren't some.

But, when Jobs came back to Apple, and was asked about large business, he stated very definitely, "The enterprise is not our customer."

So it's not surprising that for all this time, Apple has done little in this area. It's too bad, really.
  • Reply 57 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

And I don't know what it has to do with the fact that the OS on the phone is about 700 MBs.
  • Reply 58 of 109
    Quote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear. An 8GB iPhone is also 7.45GiB in capacity. The iPhone lists a 7.3GiB capacity which has led people to believe that the OS is 700MiB because that is the difference between 8G(i)B and 7.3GiB.

Actually, someone from Apple used that number. I don't remember who though.
  • Reply 59 of 109
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Actually, someone from Apple used that number. I don't remember who though.

I've been unable to find any statement from Apple or otherwise on the nets that list the iPhone OS X size.

I just checked my iPhone and iTunes for the OS size. It's not nearly as accurate as SSHing into a jailbroken iPhone, but close enough to get a general size. iTunes states the iPhone capacity is 7.27GB with 199.8MB utilized as "Other" and 7.08GB as Free Space. Unless Flash used decimal instead of binary for marketing their capacity and the usage listed as "Other" can be justified, then I see no physical way the OS can be larger than 200MB in size.
  • Reply 60 of 109
    Quote:

I've been unable to find any statement from Apple or otherwise on the nets that list the iPhone OS X size.

I just checked my iPhone and iTunes for the OS size. It's not nearly as accurate as SSHing into a jailbroken iPhone, but close enough to get a general size. iTunes states the iPhone capacity is 7.27GB with 199.8MB utilized as "Other" and 7.08GB as Free Space. Unless Flash used decimal instead of binary for marketing their capacity and the usage listed as "Other" can be justified, then I see no physical way the OS can be larger than 200MB in size.

I just remember that number being used. It could possibly include all the apps, etc, depending on Apple's definition of "free space".