Next Apple notebook refresh rumored for June

Comments

• Reply 61 of 167
    Dang gummit! Where's the new Cinema Displays??!!
  • Reply 62 of 167
    I was a bit disappointed when I looked at this article since having ordered my MacBook Pro (my first Mac) this morning, but whatever. I am not going to take the chance that this computer doesn't come out until August/September.

Also, the article about MacMall discounts says that they are offering $75 rebates for the MBP. That was how it was this morning, but now it is $150 for MBPs too. Glad I caught that...$75 more in my pocket.
  • Reply 63 of 167
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

As other's have repeatedly stated on this and other boards, June is when other PC manufacturers will announce new hardware. It won't actually start shipping until probably 2 months later. So we are really talking about 6 months. Then take into account that these latest models were supposed to be released in Jan, but were delayed (apparently due to last minute changes by Intel on the CPU). 6-7 months is a very reasonable upgrade cycle.

That's not what the the title or first sentence of this thread either states or implies. Nice try.
  • Reply 64 of 167
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's not what the the title or first sentence of this thread either states or implies. Nice try.

AI is stating the rumour, Wiggin is stating the facts.
  • Reply 65 of 167
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

While the examples you cited might not demand a BR drive, I could see the need at some point because a Macbook Pro is likely to be someones sole machine. Based on that, a BR drive should be at least an option at some point for people who would like their machine fully featured. While it's not a high priority on my list currently, I can't dispute some people's desire for inclusion of Blu Ray.

He didn't cite examples, he asked for examples. And Blu-ray isn't popular enough that there is a large number of people with only Blu-ray movies wanting to watch them when they travel. When the cost comes down and Apple implements the required copy protection, we'll get there. In the mean time, get an external blu-ray drive, download some software and rip the blu-ray disc to your hard drive.
  • Reply 66 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

It's one of those features that sounds great on paper but doesn't amount to much in the real world. Like Safari on the Apple TV, or Flash on the iPhone. Everyone wants it, but if they had it, the experience wouldn't match the expectation.

I agree. And it is even more useless because in a few years HD movies will be routinely available for download and use on notebooks, ipods, etc., for the same price as a Blu-Ray disc that needs a special player. That is also why comments about the lack of DVD drive on the MBA are moronic.
  • Reply 67 of 167
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

Good Fucking Game, I Just Bought My Penryn, And This Is The Shit They Bring Us Buyers? An Update 4 Months Later?

Are you new to the computer business? Models are updated all the time. If Apple announced "we are going to release updated models every four months forever" would you never buy a computer again?

Buy what you need and use it. The fact that in four months someone else can buy a better computer at the same price is irrelevant - they didn't get four months' worth of usage that you did.
  • Reply 68 of 167
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Perhaps you should read the whole article, not just the title and first sentance. From the 3rd (or 4th, depending on how you count) paragraph:

"Intel's Centrino partners have indicated they will announce notebooks based on the new Montevina Centrino 2 platform at that time" ("at that time" refers to the reference to June in the previous paragraph)

"indicated they will announce" in no way implies that anything will actually be shipping in June!

And if you take a look at the first sentance again: "...could come as early as June..."

"could" and "as early as" is also a pretty unreliable indicator. (The world could end as early as tomorrow.)

• Reply 69 of 167
    rofl, you guys better get the new MBP right now cause chances are, you'll be waiting till September for the next update.
  • Reply 70 of 167
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

He didn't cite examples, he asked for examples. And Blu-ray isn't popular enough that there is a large number of people with only Blu-ray movies wanting to watch them when they travel. When the cost comes down and Apple implements the required copy protection, we'll get there. In the mean time, get an external blu-ray drive, download some software and rip the blu-ray disc to your hard drive.

Anyone with a Netflix account now has access to a decent catalog of BR movies that's growing all the time. The superdrive was a pricey upgrade for Macs at first. I'm not arguing for a BR drive to be standard on Macs by any means (especially in light of the fact that they're still shipping combo drive equipped machines). I think Apple was wise to keep away from inclusion of the drives as long as the war was on but in the next update or so I'd expect at least an *option* people could choose if they so desired.
  • Reply 71 of 167
    Quote:

(The world could end as early as tomorrow.)

Or teckstud could say something positive about Apple and the world could end right now.
  • Reply 72 of 167
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Why do you want BluRay on your laptop? Will you be able to see that much difference in video playback on a 15 inch screen? Ir is it that you frequently find youself needing to burn 40 GB of data to a disk when you are at Starbucks?

Yes, I can see a difference on a 15" quite easily. Yes, I would also like to burn data as well. I'm not a Starbucks person though.
  • Reply 73 of 167
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Dang gummit! Where's the new Cinema Displays??!!

I hear yah man... these guys are discussing 4 months/8 months between product updates... I've been waiting 3 years for a display update.

Hopefully when and if new displays come out, they will have a Mac Pro that works. Wouldn't that be sweet.
  • Reply 74 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

Good Fucking Game, I Just Bought My Penryn, And This Is The Shit They Bring Us Buyers? An Update 4 Months Later?

Why do you think the current update consists only in cpu change and multitouch? Of course apple cannot wait till next year to present a new design. Of course it is plausible to completey redesign the macbook pro when the interior changes significantly. And that is exactly the case when Montevina will be released. The Logicboard will change because of the new chips so it is the perfect time to create a new shape. Besides 4 month is quite a long period in computer industry for new products.
  • Reply 75 of 167
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Why do you want BluRay on your laptop? .

perhaps i'd like to distribute the stuff i shoot on my HDV camcorder on B-R disc?
  • Reply 76 of 167
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatesbasher View Post

Or teckstud could say something positive about Apple and the world could end right now.

With a name like Gatesbasher I would hardly think you are one to take even remotely serious in calling up one for not being positive.

I have and do say things positive about Apple all the time having used Apple for 9 years. Sorry if anything I've said struck a chord in you. Ease up on the Apple Kool-Aid my friend, you're much too sensitive.
  • Reply 77 of 167
    Quote:

Perhaps you should read the whole article, not just the title and first sentance. From the 3rd (or 4th, depending on how you count) paragraph:

"Intel's Centrino partners have indicated they will announce notebooks based on the new Montevina Centrino 2 platform at that time" ("at that time" refers to the reference to June in the previous paragraph)

"indicated they will announce" in no way implies that anything will actually be shipping in June!

And if you take a look at the first sentance again: "...could come as early as June..."

"could" and "as early as" is also a pretty unreliable indicator. (The world could end as early as tomorrow.)

Ok- fine then. I see your point. Then am I to infer from you that this current upgrade is unnecessary and anyone who wants to buy a new laptop should wait for the complete new shell, etc in August?
  • Reply 78 of 167
    Quote:

Ok- fine then. I see your point. Then am I to infer from you that this current upgrade is unnecessary and anyone who wants to buy a new laptop should wait for the complete new shell, etc in August?

It's quite necessary to give the public the next stepping stone. These forums are one of many that are filled with people bitching at Apple about Intel's delays with mobile Penryn, but if you can wait 6?7 months for a new MB/MBP, I'd wait.
  • Reply 79 of 167
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Unnecessary from the perspective of the previous versions? Perhaps. They are pretty minor updates. Thus no media event or big announcements accompanying their introduction. However, some rumors suggest that Intel sort of forced Apple's hand buy ramping down production of the previous generation chip. If Apple had waited until those chips were phased out, they might have been forced to update MacBooks and Pros in, say, May. Then we'd really be b*tching about the timing verses the expected (hoped for) redesign in August-ish!!

Actually, I like that they upgraded now. It gives me confidence that I'm getting the best MacBook Pro available before the redesign, because I wouldn't buy the first iteration of a major redesign until it's been out for at least 6 months to iron out the bugs. And I'm not entirely sure how I'll like the new keyboards, if that's what they include.
  • Reply 80 of 167
    I'd like to see future machines forego optical drives after this next case revision. Ideally, I'd like to happen with the next case revision, but that may be too soon, at least psychologically, for most. The optical drive, while inexpensive, take up a lot of room that could be used to reduce size and weight and add a larger battery and make for less difficult build. I think 2010 would be a good time for Apple to begin this industry shift.