Time Capsule to ship; new wireless bill; MacBook Pro benchmarks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple appears poised to make good on a promise to ship its new Time Capsule backup appliance by month's end. Meanwhile, a new draft wireless bill threatens to disrupt the bond between Apple and its exclusive iPhone carriers. And just how much of an advantage do the company's new MacBook Pro notebooks hold over their predecessors?

Time Capsule

Thanks to all the readers who wrote in over the course of the day with word that their pre-orders for Apple's new Time Capsule backup appliance have been prepared for shipment.

"I just checked Apple's web site and my Time Capsule order has changed to 'preparing to ship,'" one reader wrote. "Historically that usually happens the same day products I have ordered from Apple ship."

Said another, "My credit card was charged this afternoon by Apple for my Time Capsule. I assume that means the unit will be shipping today or tomorrow."

Time Capsule was one of four major product introductions at last month's Macworld Expo. Essentially a 802.11n AirPort Extreme router with a built in server-grade hard disk, the device works in conjunction with Apple's Time Machine software to perform complete wireless backups of one or more Leopard-equipped Macs.

Apple is offering Time Capsule in a 500GB configuration for $299 and a 1TB configuration for $499. Readers who've been hesitant to purchase a Time Capsule thus far may want to check out AppleInsider's in-depth review planned for next week.

Wireless bill threatens iPhone exclusivity

The House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet held a hearing today on a new draft law by Rep. Ed Markey that would require every mobile provider to offer subsidy-free wireless customer equipment, effectively breaking the exclusive relationship between Apple and AT&T over the iPhone and allowing all owners of that handset to subscribe to a wireless carrier of their choice.

The bill, titled "Wireless Consumer Protection and Community Broadband Empowerment Act," would establish new rules for wireless carriers that include offering unsubsidized service as well as disclosing rate plans to customers in a "clear, plain, and conspicuous manner."

As part of the draft law, carriers would be obligated to provide more detailed maps of their network coverage areas, and would be forced to allow customers to cancel contracts for any reason without penalty within the first 30 days as well as prorate any fees associated with leaving a contract early.

MacBook Pro Benchmarks

Apple's new line of MacBook Pro notebooks introduced on Tuesday offer marginal performance gains at best when pit against their Fall 2007 predecessors, a series of Geekbench 2 tests conducted by Primate Labs reveal.

"The processor in the new MacBook Pro @ 2.4GHz (T8300) has less L2 cache than processor in the old MacBook Pro @ 2.4GHz (T7700) which explains the slight drop in performance," the software developer said.

"However, when you consider the new MacBook Pro 2.4GHz is the base model, while the old MacBook Pro 2.4GHz was the mid-range model, the small drop in performance comes with a significant reduction in price. Plus, the new Penryn processor uses less energy than the old Merom processor, which means a cooler laptop with increased battery life."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    great. i've ordered the new baseline 15-inch model as a replacement for my first-gen core duo 2ghz mbp which runs freakin' hot. this is gonna be "cool".
  • Reply 2 of 44
    these numbers are fairly disappointing.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmcdivitt View Post

Agreed.

Anyone else now waiting for Montevina?
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:

Why?

(dollar numbers here are examples)

Let's see, a 2000 dollar computer from last year runs about like a 1500 dollar computer this year that has better battery life and a cooler temp.

Shouldn't be a dissappointment...... why don't you see what the same amount of money last year gets you in performance instead of the way this was done?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Why?

Let's see, a 2000 dollar computer from last year runs about like a 1500 dollar computer this year that has better battery life and a cooler temp.

Shouldn't be a dissappointment...... why don't you see what the same amount of money last year gets you in performance instead of the way this was done?

yeah, i see what you mean.

it's just odd that they would bother updating the processors with newer models that truth be told aren't much better.

i don't know, maybe there are other benefits to these new processors (as AI mentioned the cooler running temp). all i meant by my comment was that these new processors aren't much better speed-wise, and that is disappointing.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

yeah, i see what you mean.

it's just odd that they would bother updating the processors with newer models that truth be told aren't much better.

i don't know, maybe there are other benefits to these new processors (as AI mentioned the cooler running temp). all i meant by my comment was that these new processors aren't much better speed-wise, and that is disappointing.

But chip-over-chip for the same priced processor you get an increase in performance.
    • $241 — T7500 "Santa Rosa" (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

• $241 — T8300 "Penryn" (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

• $316 — T7700 "Santa Rosa" (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

• $316 — T9300 "Penryn" (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

• $530 — T7800 "Santa Rosa" (2.60 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

• $530 — T9500 "Penryn" (2.60 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

• $851 — X7900 "Santa Rosa" (2.80 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

• $851 — X9000 "Penryn" (2.80 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)
    They haven't done all the direct comparisons. The only one they do have has 3107 for the Santa Rosa/Merom and 3228 for the Santa Rosa/Penryn. That isn't bad considering it's the same price as the previous model and it also gets more battery usage. Gizmodo is saying it's 45 more minutes for the 15" MBP.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:

Not for those of us who bought a MBP prior to the latest upgrade.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But chip-over-chip for the same priced processor you get an increase in performance.
    ? $241 ? T7500 "Santa Rosa" (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? $241 ? T8300 "Penryn" (2.40 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

? $316 ? T7700 "Santa Rosa" (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? $316 ? T9300 "Penryn" (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

? $530 ? T7800 "Santa Rosa" (2.60 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? $530 ? T9500 "Penryn" (2.60 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

? $851 ? X7900 "Santa Rosa" (2.80 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

? $851 ? X9000 "Penryn" (2.80 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)

yes, they are faster on paper, but didn't the benchmarks just show them to actually be about the same - or slower?

i might be wrong, i really don't know a great deal about this sort of thing.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    also, am i going insane or were these numbers different earlier in the day? did anyone else notice an edit?
  • Reply 10 of 44
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple appears poised to make good on a promise to ship it's new Time Capsule

Heads-up on a typo: "it's" should be "its".

As for the numbers being disappointing: not at all. Equal performance for less money and with better battery life? Sounds good to me. And video processing tasks will get a major boost once those programs are updated to support the new SSE4.1 instructions.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:

yes, they are faster on paper, but didn't the benchmarks just show them to actually be about the same - or slower?

Yes, today's low end Macbook Pro is slower than last year's high end but probably faster than last year's low end. Today's base high end (without the CPU upgrade) is faster than last year's high end (without CPU upgrade).

/Adrian
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

The only machines tested by AI that show a direct comparison on processor and machine prices are the ones listed below...
    • Score 3107 — $316 — T7700 "Santa Rosa" (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 65nm)

• Score 3228 — $316 — T9300 "Penryn" (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 45nm)
    That is an improvement over the previous year in performance and battery gains, though it appears to be less than the usual percentage gains we've been getting chip-over-chip.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Heads-up on a typo: "it's" should be "its".

As for the numbers being disappointing: not at all. Equal performance for less money and with better battery life? Sounds good to me. And video processing tasks will get a major boost once those programs are updated to support the new SSE4.1 instructions.

Tha't is' rea'lly a pet peeve of you'rs, isnt it'?
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Thanks to AI for linking to the legislation. And this bill is about 10 years late, but welcomed. I remember singing a Nextel account a long time ago, only to find no service in my neighborhood. That sucked. This bill would end the 175 dollar fee to drop your contract when something like that happens. And finally more competition, akin to the EU. Some of us in the States do envy your wireless model, Europe.

Also I am going to get the new MBP. Not only for the LED, the Dual Layer Superdrive, the firewire 800, but also the Gesture Trackpad and the battery boost. All things my Rev 1 from March '06 doesn't have. And I still think my MBP--right now--flies. So any boost at all to my 1.83 CD MBP is welcomed (albeit unnecessary.) I think the trackpad alone is a huge improvement. Can't wait to sell this one and grab the new one. Maybe when it comes I can use it on my lap without melting my pubes.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    this is infact dissapointing. Its only $100 cheaper between the 2.4GHZ SR and 2.4GHZ BASE MODEL.. and yet it performs horribly. I just canceled my order and bought the SR MBP.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wireless bill threatens iPhone exclusivity

The House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet held a hearing today on a new draft law by Rep. Ed Markey that would require every mobile provider to offer subsidy-free wireless customer equipment, effectively breaking the exclusive relationship between Apple and AT&T over the iPhone and allowing all owners of that handset to subscribe to a wireless carrier of their choice.

The bill, titled "Wireless Consumer Protection and Community Broadband Empowerment Act," would establish new rules for wireless carriers that include offering unsubsidized service as well as disclosing rate plans to customers in a "clear, plain, and conspicuous manner."

As part of the draft law, carriers would be obligated to provide more detailed maps of their network coverage areas, and would be forced to allow customers to cancel contracts for any reason without penalty within the first 30 days as well as prorate any fees associated with leaving a contract early.

Before anyone celebrates too much, notice that it is just a draft bill having a hearing

before a subcommittee. It is a long way from being a law. Even if it is eventually passed

and signed into law, it may not have any effect on contracts already in place.\
  • Reply 16 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebeat View Post

this is infact dissapointing. Its only $100 cheaper between the 2.4GHZ SR and 2.4GHZ BASE MODEL.. and yet it performs horribly. I just canceled my order and bought the SR MBP.

That isn't a bad move at this point as you won't be utilizing SSE4 and the battery performance and mutli-touch trackpad is probably worth the extra $100 saving. Where there other changes?
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

Why?

or see what the same amount of money last year bought in fossil fuels compared to today...
  • Reply 18 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I hope there is a software update shipping soon too, to fix the Airport Extreme/USB Hard Drive/Time Machine combination for those of us who believed Apple when they said this would work and purchased the equipment from Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I hope there is a software update shipping soon too, to fix the Airport Extreme/USB Hard Drive/Time Machine combination for those of us who believed Apple when they said this would work and purchased the equipment from Apple.

Yeah, I'll second that, but won't hold my breath, they are forcing people into their solution, it appears...
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Its not a horrible update, the graphics card is nice. Processor is okay.... Let's just forget it all and bring Nehalem so I can buy a new MBP. That's gonna be an awesome upgrade.