Mac Mini Future or other Multimedia Center

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have an ibook with a 2TB external full of movies and want to connect it to my 50" plasma. The Mini sounds like the best way to go because of Frontrow and the little remote, not to mention the minimal footprint and price of the Mini. But they haven't upgraded the Mini since Aug. 2007, that is very unlike Apple. So I am expecting something to happen soon, either to discontinue it or an upgrade. What are my options and what should I do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    any ideas whether apple would slip a blu-ray drive in the mini? that would be the only thing i'd wait for, otherwise just buy the current model.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I just bought a Mini last week for that very purpose (I considered the AppleTV, but it's just too limited in what formats it handles, and I don't care to "hack" it to make it work.) I held out as long as I could, waiting for an update, but I wanted it in the RV for a vacation this week...

The Mini is certainly due for some upgrades, but if you always wait for the "next upgrade", then you'd never buy ANYthing.

As for BluRay, I wouldn't hold your breath. I doubt you'll see that in the next generation of ANY Mac, certainly not the Mini.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I say mini is the way to go
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I'm looking at the mac-mini as a media center as well.

OSXMBC is getting better each week with features beyond the limitations of Apple's own Front Row.

http://www.osxbmc.com

What I'm concerned about is that Apple needs to refresh the mini to have the latest technology.

Such as 802.11N wireless and roll it to the X3100 GPU. By putting the latest chipset/mobo from Intel, it could also handle more RAM if so desired, and the Penryns. Oh yeah and HDMI (one can dream).

Once XMBC for OSX has the remote working, I can use the SMB support to mount up my directories of digital content and let the fun begin. No limitations of shoving everything into iTunes (which doesn't scale).

Where I want to to next is rip the rest of my content onto a disk array like lime-technology has and serve it up to my TV sets throughout the house, over 802.11N.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I think you should hold out for a few more weeks to see if the Mac mini gets updated. At the very least it will get the Santa Rosa platform (more memory, 802.11n, GMA X3100), but Apple might surprise us and also include a Penryn.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post

any ideas whether apple would slip a blu-ray drive in the mini? that would be the only thing i'd wait for, otherwise just buy the current model.

They still ship the regular Mini with a standard Combo Drive.

Considering that they have so far declined to put a BR drive in the Mac Pro and AppleTV, I wouldn't hold my breath.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I think you should hold out for a few more weeks to see if the Mac mini gets updated. At the very least it will get the Santa Rosa platform (more memory, 802.11n, GMA X3100), but Apple might surprise us and also include a Penryn.

Since Intel is ending Merom chips, I guess it should not be too long. As far as I can see, the Mini is next in line to get an update. I hope it won't get passed by the iMac though