iPhone coming to Ireland next month without Visual Voicemail

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Unbelievable - even Cavan is soaring

i would have used the word infuriating myself (at least in public anyways )
  • Reply 42 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

It used to be charged as a normal call to access voicemail but year or two back it became free.

I pay with a bill, I don't know what the story is for pre-pay.

I personally wasn't all that pleased with the double-dipping that was going on with my previous voicemail service under Rogers. (They charged airtime for all messages once as they were recorded, and then they charged airtime again every time I listened to the messages. Apparently this was a consequence of using prepaid instead of a contract service.)

But I'd be truly pissed off if a carrier wouldn't even let me use my regular airtime to access voicemail, and instead charged me a separate, higher, rate to listen to the messages.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

As someone from Canada who has been pining for the iPhone to come here, I wonder if Apple is using Ireland as a test market. I am sure that the Canadian carriers are resisting Apple's inssistance on a low rate unlimited data plan because they (the carriers) are making so much money now. Perhaps Apple is using Ireland as a throw-away test to show how compromising the features and having high rates will not work. Because I am sure the Canadian carriers are arguing that it will work.

The reason Canada does not have the iPhone has nothing to do with current posted data rates... at the end of the day, the most expensive part of a service providors network is the infastructure build out... as Rogers/Fido (same company) have the only GSM network and the current gen products are 100% built out (phase 3/4 is the current build out), they could easily and cheaply add as much data as they want to support iPhone users.

The real story in Canada (IMHO) is that Rogers/Fido know they have a monopoly on the GSM network and they don't want to open the Pandora's box of giving a hardware manufacturer a portion of thier monthly income stream. As Apple can't threaten to take thier product elsewhere, we have a stalemate. Apple won't partner with Rogers/Fido without $$$/month, and Rogers/Fido won't give $$$/month to Apple for fear that the next Motorola/Nokia/Sony-Erikson launch will demand the same.

Canada's best hope of getting iPhone is for the board of directors at Telus to bite the bullet and build out GSM like the rumours have been indicating... then Rogers/Fido will have to decide if they will lock-up Apple or let Telus have them. Competition = Good.

Sorry about the long post...
  • Reply 44 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Restalot View Post

Canada's best hope of getting iPhone is for the board of directors at Telus to bite the bullet and build out GSM like the rumours have been indicating... then Rogers/Fido will have to decide if they will lock-up Apple or let Telus have them. Competition = Good.

Sorry about the long post...

OT : Check your PM
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yash Keough View Post

hmm you got my curiosity. Do you know anything about this? :o

Nope - just gave him a top tip on sth else he seems to want (and which i incidentally do not want to see on a forum)
  • Reply 46 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism;

Hell yeah! The Irish are getting screwed. This will later be known as The Irish Data Famine.

Definatly

Am I impressed ? Yes and No

Yes..... we are getting access to a cool product?

No...as i have always said. its a cool gadget for the then unsophisticated American Market. but still no Camera,

the Tariff is too restrictive. Data is what the iPhone does best and having a too restrictive tariff is dreadful but then mobile or cell phone tariffs here have always been on the expensive side, not to mention the initial handsets.

A new genuine 3G iPhone is on the cards for a Q3 release and as Apple don't run dual stocks... Ireland will have access to it when its available in other markets...

Back to the Camera. it seems at odds that Apple have pioneered the easy access to the digital media (iPhoto, itunes, Podcasts, Quicktime.......) and we take it for granted on other handset to have a half decent camera.

What would make me change over...?

A better tariff in line with US carriers, maybe O2 could combine their Wirless Boradband service to finally kick start the 3g revoloution,

A decent camera,

More ipod space

64GB anyone?

One reason Ireland may have been chosen as the next market? Google... Google have their European HQ in Dublin, so with the iPhone developers kit being launched in a few weeks and the already progressive Apple / Google partnership, Ireland and Dublin in particular seems a good play ground for the iPhone, but only if are not picking up the bill.
  • Reply 47 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eirpod View Post

but still no Camera

64GB anyone?

One reason Ireland may have been chosen as the next market? Google... Google have their European HQ in Dublin, so with the iPhone developers kit being launched in a few weeks and the already progressive Apple / Google partnership, Ireland and Dublin in particular seems a good play ground for the iPhone, but only if are not picking up the bill.

1) There is a 2MB camera on the iPhone, but it doesn't do video.

2) That would add at least $700 USD at this point and require a 1.8" drive for it. Cost aside, we won't see it until the density is doubled again and then it will be in the iPhone Touch first. I don't expect 32GB until at least 2009. Does the iPod Touch and iPhone use the exact same size Flash space or is the Touch flash less dense?

3) Has Google talked about citywide WiFi like it has with other American cities? I'd think the EU would be a good place for city-wide WiFi and WiMAX to talk hold yet I only read about it in the US.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    [QUOTE=eirpod;1222314]Definatly

Am I impressed ? Yes and No

Yes..... we are getting access to a cool product?

No... .as i have always said... its a cool gadget for the then unsophisticated American Market... but still no Camera,

the Tariff is too restrictive. On Appleinsider some wag has called the Irish Data Famine...

Data is what the iPhone does best and having a too restrictive tariff is dreadful but then mobile or cell phone tariffs here have always been on the expensive side, not to mention the initial handsets.

A new genuine 3G iPhone is on the cards for a Q3 release and as Apple don't run dual stocks... Ireland will have access to it when its available in other markets...

Back to the Camera. it seems at odds that Apple have pioneered the easy access to the digital media (iPhoto, itunes, Podcasts, Quicktime.......) and we take it for granted on other handset to have a half decent camera. yes there is a camera for video but not for snaps

What would make me change over...?

A better tariff in line with US carriers, maybe O2 could combine their Wirless Boradband service to finally kick start the 3g revoloution,

A decent integrated camera

More ipod space

64GB anyone?

One reason Ireland may have been chosen as the next market? Google... Google have their European HQ in Dublin, so with the iPhone developers kit being launched in a few weeks and the already progressive Apple / Google partnership, Ireland and dublin in particular seems a good play ground for the iPhone, but only if are not picking up the bill.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Tariffs are very poor value for money!

A comparision of the o2 Ireland versus o2 UK iphone tariffs:

Ireland:

?45 - 175 mins, 100 texts, 1GB data

?65 - 350 mins, 150 texts. 1GB data

?100 - 700 mins, 250 texts, 1GB data

NO visual voicemail, NO wifi hotspot access

UK:

£35 (~?47) - 600 mins, 500 texts, unlimited data

£45 (~?60) - 1200 mins, 500 text, unlimited data

£75 (~?100) - 3000 mins, 500 texts, unlimited data

Visual voicemail, access to UK-wide wifi hotspots.

IMHO, a total ripoff! Once again, the Irish consumer is getting a raw deal!

It?s well known that iphone sales have been poor in the UK because of the cost of the iphone itself and the mandatory 18-month contract adding up to a considerable outlay over the course of the contract. The o2 UK tariffs above are an improvement on what was originally on offer at the time of the UK launch.

In addition, a 3G version is expected later this year, which makes me suspect that the handsets are being ?dumped? in the Irish market. The story above, ?UBS: Infineon chip to power 3G iPhone, coming mid-year ? the current EDGE iPhone platform is being ramped down earlier than expected to ?clean? inventories.? would appear to confirm this.

Irish consumers are happy to put up with bad value and if they?re unhappy, they simply grumble and don?t complain. The Irish mobile market is a real cash cow for the Irish arm of the o2 group. Value for money is not a phrase that Irish mobile companies are familiar with.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liamc View Post

... In addition, a 3G version is expected later this year, which makes me suspect that the handsets are being ?dumped? in the Irish market. The story above, ?UBS: Infineon chip to power 3G iPhone, coming mid-year ? the current EDGE iPhone platform is being ramped down earlier than expected to ?clean? inventories.? would appear to confirm this.

Those data rates do suck. Unless the Irish gov't has some outrageous fees for cell users I can't imagine the justification of such disparate plans.

I believe Jobs said that 3G would be coming in 2008 during the keynote in which he introduced the iPhone, so the "ramping down earlier than expected" comment seems ill-suited as we're all expecting to come out this summer.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    Oh wow that is expensive... I wonder how it compares to other carriers in the area?
  • Reply 52 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markdregan View Post

1GB of data..

33Mb per day..

I wonder how much the average user would use per day?

Emails.. Internet browsing... Google Maps..

My gut feeling is that 1GB would be plenty of data usage.

It would be plenty considering you are going to want to save things like watching Youtube videos for over Wifi. I can't see many users out-using that data package. O2 are tight though.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Oh wow that is expensive... I wonder how it compares to other carriers in the area?

Monthly plans have always been a rip off over here. Ireland in general is a rip off. But then again, what else should we expect if a bunch of con men are running the government.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liamc View Post

Tariffs are very poor value for money!

A comparision of the o2 Ireland versus o2 UK iphone tariffs:

Ireland:

€45 - 175 mins, 100 texts, 1GB data

€65 - 350 mins, 150 texts. 1GB data

€100 - 700 mins, 250 texts, 1GB data

NO visual voicemail, NO wifi hotspot access

UK:

£35 (~€47) - 600 mins, 500 texts, unlimited data

£45 (~€60) - 1200 mins, 500 text, unlimited data

£75 (~€100) - 3000 mins, 500 texts, unlimited data

Visual voicemail, access to UK-wide wifi hotspots.

Holy shit is that for real!?
  • Reply 55 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Holy shit is that for real!?

Time for you to move to the UK.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdamon View Post

I see no difference between the following statements. They are all grammatically correct and all say the same thing: visual voice is not supported right now.

"Visual voicemail is not currently supported"

"Visual voicemail is currently not supported"

"Visual voicemail currently is not supported"

"Currently, visual voicemail is not supported"

"Visual voicemail is not supported, currently"

It all comes down to....Ireland is getting the shaft. I think France also had to wait a while for Visual Voicemail. They should give Ireland customers a cost cut since the iPhone is lacking that compelling feature.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Ireland has a relatively good network of free wi-fi due to the fact we have a very poorly developed broadband network...

However even by Irish rip off standards, the iPhone package doesn't seem very compelling. If you take away the more unique features (vis voice & data) it suddenly seems very average.

But most of the plebs out there won't even notice that their iPhones are basically Apple branded bricks & will ignore the OTT costs & will by them anyway - because they will look good sitting on the bar counter or on the table in a meting.

I was paying between €160 - €280/month a couple of years ago on O2. Now I pay on average €80/90 per month on Meteor. I've had smartphones, supercamera phones, music phones and games phones, however now I have a relatively slim phone that fits in my pocket and has good functions but little gimicks & I've never been happier...

As a self confessed gadget freek, I have no interest in the iPhone. They would want to be offering me a hell of a lot more to make me switch from Meteor...

Unless 3 buy out Meteor and make a balls of it...
  • Reply 58 of 66
    The iPhones going to be a big flop in Ireland.

The plans are aweful and the fact it EDGE.

I for one was hoping and praying for the iPhone to come to Ireland but looking at the pricing I'm not going to get one any time soon. It's a Rip OFF!!!
  • Reply 59 of 66
    1) Are these rates in any way cheaper than O2 rate plans for other O2 phones in Ireland?

2) Can you pop over to the the UK to get the better O2 rate plan (with roaming) that is better than their Irish plans?

3) Can't you just buy the iPhone and use it unlocked on every other Irish carrier?
  • Reply 60 of 66
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

2) Can you pop over to the the UK to get the better O2 rate plan and then just pay it only each month?

they probably need a uk credit card to activate - even if you got past that hurdle all your calls and all data is roaming in Ireland.