Other Models? If so, what?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A lot of people feel that Apple must come out with new models of "iPhones" to stay competitive with other phone vendors. Perhaps this is true, but I've always felt that Apple would find it difficult to diversify because the iPhone experience is based so strongly on the form factor (large screen), multitouch, the internet experience, and media viewing. If you were to shrink the form factor those experiences would be a lot less enjoyable. My feeling is that Apple will diversify the line based on price, hard drive size, and perhaps 3G + GPS with the EDGE phones being the low end. They might even create a "pro" phone. That would be typical of how they work. But I'd like to find out your views.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I agree that they should have a few different models at different price levels. An iPhone "Pro" with 32GB-64GB, 3G and GPS would get me to open my wallet if it could come in at the $499-599 mark. I believe that GPS will be the next latest and greatest addition to the cell phones. Apple should also ditch the camera as most people myself included never use there camera phones. Heck my wife would be fired for bringing a camera phone to work (Military hardware manufacture)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phoenix29 View Post

I agree that they should have a few different models at different price levels. An iPhone "Pro" with 32GB-64GB, 3G and GPS would get me to open my wallet if it could come in at the $499-599 mark. I believe that GPS will be the next latest and greatest addition to the cell phones. Apple should also ditch the camera as most people myself included never use there camera phones. Heck my wife would be fired for bringing a camera phone to work (Military hardware manufacture)

i've never used a camera more than i use my iphone's camera. i was in the same "camera-phones suck" boat until i got my iphone. it's only 2 megapixels, but the pictures are good enough for me, as opposed to my SLVR. the pictures on that thing were worthless.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Camera is there to stay. It costs nothing to include, and a 2mp+ camera has actual value for many folks. Apple will actually need to add one more camera for video chat. I have worked in high security conditions myself, and understand that some people won't be able to carry an iPhone to work, but hey, it's an infinitesimal niche. You get a work phone at those places anyway if you need one.

HD size is an easy differentiator, Apple has always liked to use it liberally.

GPS might go in there at some point but I think it will actually pop up in all current form factor iPhones instead of being a differentiator. This will take a good while to happen, because Apple can't and doesn't want to do everything at the same time.

3G has to be on the way. Any non-packet-switched data is bad because it keeps the phone from gaining multiple very useful features.