Apple Care?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What are people's opinions of Apple Care? Is it worth the extra cost? I'm planning on buying a MBP soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Yea I don't know. My MBP had a well know problem with the battery just out of warranty. The problem was acknowledged deep in Apple's Knowledge Base if you knew how to find it. They replaced the battery out of warranty on them. So I'm not unhappy.

On average of the 5 macs that I've owned, average out Apple Care would not have been worth it. None of them have ever bricked out completely. I'm a low maintenance Apple owner too. Dead pixle? WTF do I care? Hard disk squeak? Bah who cares?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ozzieboyozzieboy Posts: 22member
    Yes imho. I have had Apple laptops the past 10 years and I'm a risk taker in general...but you never know when your 'Book will have an issue out of warranty. I've had to use my AC at least 2-3x outside of 1-yr standard warranty. Places like LA Computer, Expercom, SmallDog, eBay sell it cheap. Totally worth it imho. Some credit cards will double the standard mfr's wty on NEW products to give you 2 years of coverage vs. 3 of AC, but that is hit and miss.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    If you're a student, you can get it very cheaply from Apple - something like £30 here in the UK.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

If you're a student, you can get it very cheaply from Apple - something like £30 here in the UK.

My campus sells a laptop, applecare, ipod bundle.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    da2357da2357 Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by goheels12 View Post

What are people's opinions of Apple Care? Is it worth the extra cost? I'm planning on buying a MBP soon.

Well worth the small amount it costs. I work in a public school district with 350+ Apple laptops and 150+ Apple desktops. It's especially worthwhile for laptops as they get use, bumped, dropped, and abused far more than desktops. AppleCare provides for repairs that simply couldn't be afforded otherwise. If you're going to buy a MacBook Pro, do yourself a favor and add AppleCare to the order.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    If it's a notebook, get Applecare. The way they're repaired, it's an easy job but costly. Plus, Applecare on notebooks is good all over the world.

I would also get Applecare for the new iMac, simply because the things are a pain to take apart and put back together. I wouldn't be surprised if some places charged a premium on them for out of warranty repairs simply because of the time to get the glass off and on properly.

Desktops, meh. They're pretty reliable, unless you move around with them. But if it it's just sitting there... I wouldn't bother.