3G iPhone to launch mid-year with Infineon chip - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    And, AAPL up over $7 today. Wasn't it just yesterday that some genius analyst was proclaiming that Macs will drive its future stock price growth?!
  • Reply 42 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Let's hope they fix the 'no voice dialing' thing too... out here in California, by law you won't be able to drive with a cellphone pressed to your head anymore, as of July.

I've never seen anyone dial an iPhone with the handset pressed to their head. You must have very dexterous earlobes.
  • Reply 43 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't think so. 3G seems to the magic word. There are smething like 400k iPhones in China and they are mostly 3G, right?

China still hasn't even allocated licenses for 3G networks!! They probably won't bother rolling 3G out at all, since they are beginning trials of LTE (4G) with Verizon and Vodafone next year.

They do have 400,000 iPhones on China Mobile, but of course it's a GSM/EDGE network.
  • Reply 44 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

China still hasn't even allocated licenses for 3G networks!! They probably won't bother rolling 3G out at all, since they are beginning trials of LTE (4G) with Verizon and Vodafone next year.

They do have 400,000 iPhones on China Mobile, but of course it's a GSM/EDGE network.

Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I just hope they do something about the sound quality and reception. Mine cuts out on my far too often.

The short answer is that your call quality will depend on your network. In Europe, it should be OK since GSM has been mostly relegated to second-tier (fallback) service. AT&T's US network is a pile of rubbish, though, and you can expect that your 3G iPhone won't have many opportunities to use its 3G radio.

In addition, this is just a product revision. Apple is, without question, working as we speak on a next-generation iPhone platform that will most likely feature a single chip (SoC) and be portable to a small family of iPhone devices. I expect there will be a reduced function, reduced form-factor iPhone that does email but no web.
  • Reply 46 of 98
    The Infineon S-GOLD3H (I guess this is what will be in it) can do 7.2Mbit HSDPA. Hopefully Apple doesn't cripple it to just 3.6Mbit because AT&T hasn't switched on 7.2 or 14.4Mbit HSDPA.

We're getting sustained downloads here (in Australia) of 5Mbit+ with 7.2Mbit data cards using bittorrent.

(Comes in handy when work blocks torrents ;-) )
  • Reply 47 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

The Infineon S-GOLD3H (I guess this is what will be in it) can do 7.2Mbit HSDPA. Hopefully Apple doesn't cripple it to just 3.6Mbit because AT&T hasn't switched on 7.2 or 14.4Mbit HSDPA.

We're getting sustained downloads here (in Australia) of 5Mbit+ with 7.2Mbit data cards using bittorrent.

(Comes in handy when work blocks torrents ;-) )

Can we get a 3G chip in the iPhone first, and THEN berate Apple for not using the fastest, biggest and most power hungry one available?
  • Reply 48 of 98
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, AAPL up over $7 today. Wasn't it just yesterday that some genius analyst was proclaiming that Macs will drive its future stock price growth?!

Yes. I think he said that iPhone and iPod sales had no catalyst for continued growth.

I guess he had not heard about the coming SDK, the 3G iPhone and feature changes to support business use. Glad he is not managing any of my money.
  • Reply 49 of 98
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andreslucero View Post

You must have very dexterous earlobes.

Not particularly. But my tongue is quite prehensile, or so I'm told.

• Reply 50 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Can we get a 3G chip in the iPhone first, and THEN berate Apple for not using the fastest, biggest and most power hungry one available?

In the states, there are FCC-enforced bandwidth limits in the W-CDMA spectrum. By "bandwidth," I also mean bandwidth, and not data-rate. I'm not sure what exactly the limit is, but the 14.4Mbps option, I would say, is likely out of the question.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    How credible is the mid-year prediction? I finally decided this week on the iPhone, after a friend demonstrated his. Now what?

Previous predictions were for 3G in maybe Nov 2008. I don't want to wait that long. But June 30? Maybe I could stretch...

It seems that the mid-2008 prediction is being taken as reliable.
  • Reply 52 of 98
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's good if it's true. 3G support, even if I don't use it much, is the second to last remaining reason I'm waiting, the last being my carrier contract. Now I have to figure out how to find someone in my area with an iPhone to see if the reception is good.

I've let our contract run out in January. We're charged the same, but no fee when we leave in June (I hope it's June).
  • Reply 53 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

The newer 3G chipsets have gotten more power-efficient, though. Look at the Samsung Blackjack series (it's a 3G smartphone)... talk time increased from 3 hours on the Blackjack I to 7 hours on the Blackjack II. Some of that was due to a 40% higher capacity battery, but still, with talk time more than doubling, power management/consumption got quite a bit better as well.

I'd expect a 3G iPhone's talk time to take a hit, but not a big one... I don't think Steve-o would allow it. And I wouldn't cry at all if the iPhone got a millimeter or two thicker to accomodate a higher-cap battery. If someone cries that a phone being .50" thick instead of .46" thick ruins their user experience, I will point and laugh at them, because that is just dumber than a sack of hammers.

My main concern is, do they also address the other major missing features, such as MMS and voice-dialing? That would be very cool.

I'm not too worried about battery life, they are also improving as well, though slowly. A slightly thicker phone wouldn't be such a big deal. Apple does have thicker iPods with the bigger HDD's. They could have then 3G version slightly bigger as well, if required.

As far as MMS goes, why not a third party solution? I believe there is already a voice dialing solution out there.
  • Reply 54 of 98
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Awesome if true! If Apple can get a 3G iPhone out by June (which has been my educated guess for some time), it should help Apple's calendar Q2 results and stock price significantly.

Would 3G also help Google recover its 38% price drop?

Quote:

The newer 3G chipsets have gotten more power-efficient, though. Look at the Samsung Blackjack series (it's a 3G smartphone)... talk time increased from 3 hours on the Blackjack I to 7 hours on the Blackjack II. Some of that was due to a 40% higher capacity battery, but still, with talk time more than doubling, power management/consumption got quite a bit better as well.

Seth Weintraub from ComputerWorld doesn't seem to find increased battery life in the Blackjack 2.

"I?m more than willing to pay for the extra speed. But what good is speed when your phone?s battery is dead? With my Nokia N95, I can browse the Web over a 3G network for about an hour before the battery is dead?even less if I tether it as a modem to my laptop. The same is true for my Samsung Blackjack 2 Windows Mobile device."

Quote:

My main concern is, do they also address the other major missing features, such as MMS and voice-dialing? That would be very cool.

3rd party could easily add these features.

Quote:

Short-term, yes, 3G means 'BEEG' sales boom. Like huge.

3G will help reenergize sales but will be nothing like the initial iPhone sales.
  • Reply 55 of 98
    Quote:

Apple does have thicker iPods with the bigger HDD's.

Apple is pushing towards thinner iPods. As storage of the Touch increases it will eventually over take the Classic.
  • Reply 56 of 98
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Finally get this thing working in Japan.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple is pushing towards thinner iPods. As storage of the Touch increases it will eventually over take the Classic.

The point is that Apple isn't adverse to making a device a bit thicker if it warrants it. The 160GB iPod is bigger both because of the larger HDD, and the bigger battery. You might have noticed that it has significantly longer playback times.

It will be a very long time before Apple supplants a large HDD device with Flash storage close to the same size.
  • Reply 58 of 98
    Quote:

It will be a very long time before Apple supplants a large HDD device with Flash storage close to the same size.

It doesn't have to be the same size. The nano far out sells the Classic. The Touch by this point or very soon will outsell the Classic. Once the Touch can broach 100GB I don't think it far fetched Apple may drop the Classic sooner than later.
  • Reply 59 of 98
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onceuponamac View Post

this should be great for sales - all of the first gen owners will buy the new phone...

And just why would they do that? I just can't see all the first gen users dropping a perfectly good phone for another. Sure some will but that is far from ALL!

Quote:

Hopefully Apple will add the ability to search contacts textually for making phone calls and exchange support (other than imap)... that will make the device a compelling option for business.

The device is already compelling for business. Exchange support is just an issue for certain corporate segments, it is not a universal problem with respect to business. In any event if the leaks are true there will be plenty of enhancements for iPhone.

Dave
  • Reply 60 of 98
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Would 3G also help Google recover its 38% price drop?

That makes no sense. Oh wait... you were trying to be funny. My condolences.

Quote:

Seth Weintraub from ComputerWorld doesn't seem to find increased battery life in the Blackjack 2.

"I’m more than willing to pay for the extra speed. But what good is speed when your phone’s battery is dead? With my Nokia N95, I can browse the Web over a 3G network for about an hour before the battery is dead—even less if I tether it as a modem to my laptop. The same is true for my Samsung Blackjack 2 Windows Mobile device."

Golly... Seth's experience sure doesn't seem to be everyone's, considering that Anandtech saw nearly 3 hours web browsing from a BlackJack I, which has a smaller battery and an older, less-efficient chipset than the 'Jack II:

"The web browsing test gives us our first indications of the increase in power draw of 3G over EDGE.

Web pages loaded a lot faster, but the Blackjack's battery was drained at a faster rate as well. With 3G enabled, the Blackjack (I) lasted 2.75 hours and with it disabled, over 3.5 hours. "

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/sho...spx?i=3036&p=3

Oh, and this is from the same Anandtech article that you've quoted from in the past, btw. So I assume it's acceptable to you.

Quote:

3rd party could easily add these features.

Or Apple could simply pull its head out and do something it should've done months ago. Even cheap phones have MMS and voice-dialing these days. Tsk.

Quote:

3G will help reenergize sales but will be nothing like the initial iPhone sales.

Well, that isn't what me and solip were debating. He says 3G will double sales, I said it won't, but that it'll help quite a lot (especially in Europe) and that the initial sales boom will be quite large. Either way, I think Apple will take it and be quite happy.