My menu bar has become replete with useful tools! Help!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

I've become addicted to the useful little menu bar widgets you can download. Top-left is a really nice easy place to see up-to-date information. I've tried to turn off what I can but some things are just really useful to be able to keep an eye on.

Considering it's turning into a sort of Windows system tray thing, I was wondering if anyone knew of any cool utilities out there that would allow the least updated ones to be hidden, or perhaps some slider that allows you to choose the menu space between menu items and those little icons? Sometimes on complicated apps with lots of menus, a lot of the right-hand menu items get hidden. I'm sure I'm not alone here, anyone with a smaller screen such as my MacBook will have come across this problem...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

:-Joe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Bump
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Sounds to me like you need to move some to the widgets.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Sounds to me like you need to move some to the widgets.

What do you mean? The Dashboard?

I'm not a fan of the Dashboard. It's hidden away, takes too long to load and you can't interact easily between normal apps and Dashboard widgets.

I guess I could do with moving objects to the Dock, but my main wish would be to have something for managing the menu bar between pull-down menus and the icons...

Doesn't anyone else out there run out of icon space on the menu?

Is there a hack so I can get the clock rendered in a smaller font?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I know exactly what you mean! What I have wanted for a very long time is some sort of menubar dock, something that holds (user selectable) menubar items. I've made a very simple mockup of what I mean:

• Reply 5 of 9
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    That's a neat little idea!

However I think to a certain extent the reason I like the menu stuff so much because I can see what's happening in a single glance. Although I'd make use of such a utility, I'd like to be able to collapse and expand different ones with a click (or two). I don't really know exactly what I'm after... But I'm imagining something a little like the Windows system tray.

I just don't understand why the only options for the clock are - BIG font or tiny analogue clock you can't even tell the time with. I just wish there was a hack to shrink it a little! Like good old SuperClock
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    fuzzy clock FTW
  • Reply 7 of 9
    You're kidding!

I just downloaded it and although it's pretty cute, now I have even less menu bar space...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Apple Event Errors?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macanoid? View Post

I know exactly what you mean! What I have wanted for a very long time is some sort of menubar dock, something that holds (user selectable) menubar items. I've made a very simple mockup of what I mean:

I'd like something like this which is similar:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=81404

What was so great about this app was that it loaded the icons of the opened apps in the menubar (and you could set the spacing between them), it highlighted the app you were currently in and if you clicked once on one of the icons, you selected that app; if you double-clicked on one of the icons, you selected that app AND hide all others. You only needed one hand to do this which was also great.

If you have classic installed, download it and play with it for a while.

I'd actually prefer this to the dock as it takes up space on my screen (I know I can hide it but if I hide it, then I have to grab the mouse and make the cursor hover over a small area to get it to pop up.) I particularly don't like the way it wastes the 1/2" to 3/4" of screen space at the edges of it.

The only other app that puts icons of apps in the menubar is Butler but it doesn't work nearly as good as taskmenubar did.